“Fantastic experience”

Point Break Surf School
Ranked #5 of 43 Tours in Playa Flamingo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With a focus on personalized attention and safety, Point Break Surf is the surf school and Stand Up Paddle tour company of choice. Surf Lessons include LOCAL pick up at your hotel / accommodation, surf board and rash guard, 2hr lesson and mid-lesson water & fresh local fruits for snack. Surf lessons take place in Playa Grande (lessons can be arranged to other surf locations (additional fees may apply). We accommodate kids of all ages as well as large groups & wedding parties. We also offer Stand Up Paddling (SUP) lessons and tours in Conchal, Playa Flamingo, Brasilito, Potrero, Gulf of Papagayo & other pristine beaches in Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I took 3 surf lessons and one stand up paddleboard tour with Point Break. Natasha was very accommodating and helped with all of my questions. Matt, Brayan, and Angelo were excellent and patient instructors, all the while ensuring you had fun. I highly recommend Point Break to anyone going to Costa Rica.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I had an amazing time surfing with Break Point! It made my trip - I've always wanted to surf and they made it happen.

Matt picked us up at the RIU and drove us to Playa Grande (beautiful beach). He was cheerful, talkative and inspiring all in one. He even took us to a cute surf shop/cafe on the way back to the hotel so we could grab some coffee and some delicious mufffins.

The instructors Angelo and Bryan were great! They made sure we all got a lot of time on the boards, and most important, that we were having fun!

I would definitely recommend going surfing with Break Point, great experience and great people :)

1  Thank Rashel99
Reviewed 31 May 2012

A friend and I traveled to Costa Rica in May and wanted to do surfing lessons so we started looking through the trip advisor reviews to find a good school. We decided to go with Point Break because of all the raving reviews and we couldn't have been more happy with the decision. Matt showed us the basics on land and then Brayan and Angelo were out in the water helping us stand up every time. They were patient and picked just the right waves for us. While we were staying in Tamarindo, we didn't want to do a lesson there because the beach was so crowded (the sheer embarassment factor was enough to deter us). At Playa Grande, where the lesson took place, there were hardly any people in sight, the waves were just the right size to be challenging enough but not too scary and the bottom was pure sand. It made learning to surf much more manageable and enjoyable. If you want to learn to surf in a small group with a lot of 1x1 attention go with Point Break!
Thanks guys!
Ann and Bre

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Surfing with Point Break was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica. My wife and I have never surfed before and decided to give it a try. Booking our session with Natasha was very easy. Matt picked us and 3 others up in front of our hotel (we stayed at the RIU Guanacaste) and drove us to a nice secluded spot with perfect waves for beginners. We were the only ones on the beach so there was no fighting with beach goers or other surfers. I should note that the drive alone was a great experience, as Matt was very knowledgeable of the area and would frequently slow down or point out wildlife or great restaurants/surf spots. We had 7 people total in the group and had 3 instructors so there was plenty of 1:1 instruction. Brayan and Angelou took us through the safety essentials and surfing basics and had us both riding waves on our own; in fact all 7 in the group were standing up and catching waves. They all were very patient and certainly knew their stuff. I would highly recommend taking lessons with Point Break, you will not regret it!

Reviewed 23 May 2012

My husband and I had a great time. Matt and his team made sure we had a fun time but stressed the importance of safety which put us at ease. Both my husband and I were up on our boards surfing in no time. Our instructors were professional, kind, and patient. We would love to go back!