All reviews black sand beach private beach infinity pool bought groceries villa ginger laundry room three bedroom costa rica during low tide gets hot hermit crabs master bedroom well equipped kitchen these condos winding road father rooster quick drive
Reviewed 29 July 2018

My wife and I spent the day at the beach club of Bahia Pez Vela and had a great time. The food in the restaurant was excellent, the swimming pools were beautiful and the beach was private and immaculate. The fee is that you must spend $25 per person for the day. The pricing was reasonable and with the snorkel rentals we got our money's worth.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are higher up the mountain and have a great view but it quite a hike to the water.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2018

My husband and myself took our oldest daughter, our youngest daughter and her boyfriend to this resort. We stayed in Villa #36 which is perched quite high on a hill, but we chose it for the beautiful views. It did not disappoint. The villa was just a few steps away from a private infinity pool that made for the best sunset watching. The villa was tidy and well equipped with 3 bedrooms and 21/2 bathrooms and one small resident Gecko that we named Samuel. The size of the villa was perfectly comfy for 5 adults. We started our stay without a car and walked to the Maracuya restaurant (formerly Picantes) also to Father Roosters restaurant. Both places were excellent in every way; food and service was impeccable.You have got to try a Dirty Monkey! With that said...get a car!
The property manager Cesar is a phone call away and he addresses any and all concerns and will also set up excursions for you,transportation, and even have birthday cakes made in advance and put in the fridge for your arrival. My youngest daughter had her birthday while we were there and she was also proposed to.The owner of the villa had wine waiting for the occasion. The beach is private, small and black sand which some people have said they didn't care for. I thought it was lovely. Cesar set up a private outing on a 50ft boat(Charlies adventures) that took us bottom fishing,cooked us a delicious meal on the beach and took us snorkeling. The crew of that boat were so warm and friendly.They served fresh fruit and drinks while we were on onboard. My only suggestion for them would be to invest a bit of money in their safety vest and buy at least one new snorkel set :)
We can not wait to visit Costa Rica again and I am certain we will be staying right back at Bahia Pez Vela!

Room Tip: the lower the villa number the closer walk to the beach
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank warrenhouse05
Reviewed 9 July 2018

It's a great place to be if you have a big family and want to bring your own cooking and cleaning skills with you to the beach. Lots of room in these condos - ours was among the biggest, with four bedrooms, and even a small jacuzzi-sized infinity pool outside. These are all townhouse-style villas up along the mountain overlooking the "private" beach Playa Azul just South of the bigger beach of Playa Ocotal. I say private because it's not really private, as Costa Ricans have the right to most beaches, including this one. It's just hard for people to get to this beach except through this resort condominium complex during high tide. During low tide, you can walk along the beach here northward to the Playa Ocotal main beach, or back in the other direction. While we were here, we usually had the "private beach" of Playa Azul to ourselves, along with the other occupants of the resort. But during low tide, sometimes we had visitors coming from the much larger, more public, and more commercial, Playa Ocotal. I guess it works the other way too, as we could have made the trek to Playa Ocotal ourselves. We've been there on previous trips when we stayed at another hotel (actually a more typical hotel) at Playa Ocotal, where we could avail ourselves of water sports, jet skiing, and other options, such as restaurants in the area, including Father Rooster.

This time, we stayed put in our condominium with our big Costa Rican extended family, and shared the tasks of cooking and cleaning, just as if we were at home. But with the advantage of having a beautiful, but small beach, and a nice set of pools for young and old right at the base of the resort and at the beach itself, with the Maracuya Restaurant serving lunch and dinner, and drinks from their bar, from around 12 Noon until around 9 PM.

I say "around" because this is Costa Rica, and here the staff is sometimes on what many call Tico Time. The resort info says the restaurant is open at 11 AM? Well, if the World Cup is on TV, or if otherwise the staff can't seem to open the kitchen on time, you may have to wait until 12 Noon to order food actually. Pura vida!

But this is only a mild criticism. It's one of the realities of life in Costa Rica. It's best to keep your gringo expectations back at home with you, and embrace the carefree attitude about time, and customer service, that is so prevalent in this country. Wifi doesn't work for a while? Same thing. Just wait a while and it will be back.

So the service at the restaurant leaves much to be desired, and the prices are pretty high, given the mediocre quality of the food. However, it's all about the location. You're a captive consumer at the bar-restaurant while at the pool and beach. That's to be expected. But the accommodations in the condo where we stayed at least were quite good, and it suited our purposes quite well, for the six adults and three kids in our extended family.

Coco Beach as a supermarket that is right on the road into Coco Beach from the resort (right on the right just before the intersection with the main street to Coco Beach itself. It's hard to miss. That's where you should get all of your stuff to stock up the kitchen. We even used the outdoor grill one night. The kitchen is fully equipped and stocked, including with a good refrigerator/freezer with functioning ice-maker, and a working dish washer. Also it has a well-functioning washer and dryer which we used. The kitchen is full of appliances, and loaded with dishes and pots and pans. All that you need. The blender was the only disappointment as it was old and small and inadequate for the task of making the drinks I'd hoped to make, to save some of our expenses at the bar on the beach, which by the way did make some very good frozen drinks. Try the "Bahia Pez Vela" and the "Dirty Monkey."

If you come in a huge van, or an SUV or big car with a big group, this is a good place. And you can head to some of the other beaches, including to Coco Beach (with its several restaurants), including Playa Hermosa and Playa Bonita and Playa Buena. We spent a day at Playa Bonita and had a great time.

Good place if your situation is similar to ours.

Stayed: July 2018
1  Thank TravelandFoodGlutton
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

Every year my 20 something year old daughter and I take a big trip. This year we did Costa Rica & Roatan. We spent 2 nights in villa 19.

First the good:
From a space perspective this place is great. 3 bedrooms (king in one, queen in another, two twins in the other) and 2.5 baths; full kitchen; living/ dining room.
Views are great.
You can walk down to the small beach which is quiet and empty (but not much to do there).
Checking in was great. We arrived at 7/8pm and the guard had our key and paperwork. I was so relieved!!!! Easy and zero hassles!!
Villa had a few old beach towels in the closet and old blankets we used. Handy.

The stuff that bugged me a bit:
This villa is dated. That honestly wouldn’t bother me in general if the bathrooms had more than a tiny bar of soap each. No shampoo or conditioner - I had no idea it doesn’t come with that and I usually never bring it but I did this one time. Had I had known ahead of time I would have been prepared. The dated part irked me more when I opened the washer and rust dropped in to the tub and I had to clean it. Ok now dated bothered me.
Take note: there is NO WHERE to eat breakfast in Ocotol and nothing walkable. It’s at the top of a windy hill. You can go to the grocery store (Mercado) in Coco and buy groceries but don’t think you can get up and find a cup of coffee anywhere. I love getting up and exploring. This isn’t the place for that.

This is a good place for a large family who is willing to buy groceries to save $$ and use it as a central place to do other things. You will NOT be hanging out at this beach. You will go everywhere but here ... but this isn’t a resort; it’s just a condo development.
The restaurant is good but has no breakfast.
Go eat at Father Rooster’s too down the hill. Excellent! (I wrote a review on that).

Playas Del Coco is a 7 min drive down the big hill. That’s where the food and other stuff is to do.

Ever driven in CR?? I have 3 out of my 6 times there. You MUST get a 4x4 SUV. The roads suck. USE WAZE AND NOTHING ELSE. Waze is a MUST.

My general take is that the owner needs to do some updates - rusty appliances aren’t really nice to deal with.

Have fun! Hit me up if you have questions. Like I said I’ve been to CR 6 times now.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2018

This is a great property. About 30 individual villas in one resort. Our villa was a pretty two-story home, with three bed rooms, 2½ baths, full kitchen, dining room, living room, and laundry room. We had a patio on the lower floor and balcony off the master bedroom. Immaculately groomed grounds are lovely, with magpies and other interesting birds all around. Resort has its own black sand beach which was nice, although on the small side. Two pools come with the beach club which residents may use. The restaurant that is part of the beach club is quite excellent – among the better restaurants we’ve been to in the US (see our separate review of it) and less expensive. It serves only lunch and dinner.

We rent a very nice beach house on the Outer Banks each summer, and this was on par with that in terms of the furnishings. But the beautiful grounds, pools, and restaurant along with the property put it in a much higher category.

You’ll need a rental car to get around from here. The resort arranged to have one delivered to us. We went all over the province each day for our activities and just used this hotel as our base, but allowed time for late afternoon swims, sunsets on the beach, and dinners. The Waze navigation app got us around just fine. We bought groceries at the big supermarket in town and made breakfast for ourselves.

If you are looking for a big hotel resort where people sit by the pool all day, drink, and talk, this is not the place for you. But if you enjoy getting far more living space than in any resort room or suite, and enjoy having some quite down time at the end of the day in a beautiful setting, this is a great choice.

Pros: Lots of living space including a full kitchen. Beautiful grounds, some wildlife, very peaceful, two pools, access to a beach that is not crowded, great restaurant.

Cons: About 10 min from downtown Playa de Coco (although that could go in the “pros” category too!), slightly challenging winding road up and down a hill into the resort, locals may use the beach but those who did were better behaved than most American at a beach, one day a local walked around the pool selling pottery (which is obviously tolerated or welcomed by the resort) but was an unwelcome interruption to us, pools are smaller than on the website pictures, there is little shade during the day for the deck chairs.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family