“Nice park with beautiful sites”

Rincon de La Vieja National Park
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 150.00*
and up
Private Rincon de la Vieja Volcano Adventure Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This 35,000-acre national park centers around a volcano that last erupted in 1995.
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

We drove to the park using GPS in our rental car. It was easy to find. There is a toll booth before the entrance that charges 700 colones per person. Don't forget to bring cash for the toll!

The trails are well maintained. There are many trails that you can spend hours exploring, or there is even a short, 3 km hike if your time is limited. On the short hike, we were able to see mud pots, steam vents, waterfalls, and abundant wildlife.

We hired a guide, Freddy, at the reception area. Freddie provided many useful facts along the way and ensured we were able to see the key sites. Since there are no maps provided, I would recommend a guide.

This is an active volcano, so you cannot hike up to the crater as of the time of this writing. In fact, the volcano erupted 2 hours before we arrived that morning.

2  Thank jstoth
in 8 reviews
"ranger station"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Booked a tour through the Tamarindo Diria Hotel in Tamarindo. On my bucket list to visit while in Costa Rica was a volcano, waterfall, hanging bridges. This tour I got those things and more! I had rented a car but wanted a guide for the volcano park. I'm so glad I went with the tour and not on my own. The guide was very informative about the plants and trees. We saw beautiful waterfalls, steam vents, monkeys, hot mud springs. The hike was long but easy and worth every step. I highly recommend this tour.

4  Thank travelin_girl6969
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Travel with two teenagers were eager to do whatever to have fun. We bought a full day activity. We got there around 9:30 am (late) acticities start at 8:30 but they were nice enough to take us to they activities.activities missed would be done at the end. Kids had a great time. Guides were very nice and knowledgeable about the area. The place is huge and beautiful. Trip is worth while doing lunch is included. Buffett style. I would not recommend buying lunch for $20 it's too expensive for the type of food even though the food is tasty.

3  Thank Claudia G
Reviewed 21 August 2017

I thought this was the best tour on our trip to Costa Rica. We enjoyed seeing all the thermal activity and saw plenty of wild life. There was only my wife and myself on this tour and the guide, Walter, was excellent. With only the two of us we were able to take our time and Walter had plenty of time to tell us everything about the park and the wild life found there.

5  Thank Adrian S