“Truly a Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Villas Vilma
St. Louis, Missouri
“Truly a Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

My husband and I came to La Fortuna from Monteverde, so the "downtown" area of La Fortuna caught us by surprise — it seemed much busier and more touristy than Monteverde. That made us all the happier that we were staying at Villas Vilma, which is much, much quieter, about a 15-minute walk from the hubbub of downtown. The property itself is very cute and well-manicured, and there's a nice pool (and a jacuzzi, but we didn't use that). The rooms are nice—we had two beds, plus a refrigerator, bathroom, and TV, and someone came through each day to clean the place. The only time we encountered ants was one we left a plate with crumbs out; other than than, no problems to speak of. Either nobody was occupying the room immediately next to ours (each small "villa" seems to contain units) or they were very quiet; the only true disturbance to our sleep was a rooster that started crowing at 3 am our first night there. The staff was helpful in calling us cabs and checking in with our tour company when a bus arrived late to pick us up for an excursion. Overall, you absolutely can't beat this place for the money; by paying in cash, I think our rate dropped to something like $40 per night.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Escazu, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

Villas Vilma is an insanely good value. I live in Costa Rica and my family came to visit during high season and I was desperate to find something "perfect" for our situation with only 2 days notice. Here's what we wanted: a place with that Costa Rican charm, but not in the hustle and bustle of downtown La Fortuna, but not too far from it either because we didn't rent a car, but with volcano views and comfortable and clean...and for under $100 a night. Well, we got all we wanted, plus a pool, jacuzzi, intense cleanliness, and friendly, accommodating service, for $60/night - with 3 people in 3 beds in one spacious room.
I've sent recommended Villas Vilma to other friends who have visited, and all have been equally happy with it!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
boca raton fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

May 7-9, 2010
Hotel Villas Vilma
Room was ready when we arrived in the early afternoon. We stayed in Villa 70 which is farthest from the road. We could still hear quite a bit of traffic noise as that road is super busy. The location from town was perfect for us. It was about 2 miles or so from downtown Fortuna so it was a quick ride to get to the grocery or restaurants. It was close enough to the Hanging Bridges, Lake Arenal, lava flows, La Fortuna waterfall, canopy tours, ATV. In fact, the location was perfect. The pool was such a bonus. It was clean and refreshing, never crowded. The grounds of the hotel are well kept and pretty. So, the other reviews about the ants are correct. I didn’t think it would bother me as much but it did. There were ants all over the outside walls and patio, chairs and tables making it difficult for me to relax. I really do not like insects and do realize that it is Costa Rica but I come from South Florida which is very tropical but the bugs are kept under control. Anyway, I didn’t like have ants all over me when I’m trying to relax with a cocktail. We kept all food in the refrigerator which was fine but there were ants scurrying all over the bathroom, getting stuck in the soap, infested my toiletry bag and were all in my vitamin case. It was gross. My husband didn’t mind so if you don’t care about ants then no problems. This is basically the only bad thing I can say about Villa Vilma! We did not hear the people next to us through the wall. The a/c was cold and there was also a floor fan. Hot water ran out pretty quick but the water temp is lukewarm from the faucet anyway so I did not mind that. There is not an alarm clock so bring one if your cell phone will not be working. No safe so we took our passports and other valuables with us. There was a tv with cable. We were there off season and paid $40/night cash. This price was reasonable for the accommodations. It was nothing fancy but it was clean. Linens and towels were not luxurious but what do you expect for that price?? I was happy to have a/c and a pool for that price. The ants kind of ruined my relaxation. Maybe they could spray the perimeter of the buildings. I would probably stay again and bring bug spray or something. I didn’t particularly like all the road noise but that was a minor thing for me. There are definitely quieter places to stay though if you are looking for that. The drive from San Jose airport took about 3.5 hours through cloud forests and mountains. It was really fun but give yourself plenty of time!

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

I chose this hotel because of the favorable reviews on Tripadvisor. Overall, when I first arrived, I was pleased. Nicely sized room/bathroom, beautifully manicured landscape and we had to pool to ourselves. However, most of our hotels had free breakfast and this one did not, so a little value lost there. That would have been fine though. My biggest issue was that when we came back after dinner there were ants everywhere. Now, I know bugs happen tropical climates, my family is from a tropical climate. However, I couldn't walk without stepping on one, they were crawling up the walls, even falling. I was afraid they would fall on me if I did not cover myself from head to toe. I realized we could "freeze them out" by putting the AC on full blast. I ended up going somewhere else the next day and that place was literally deep in the woods and did not have the same ant issue I encountered here. If you don't mind that one issue, I could recommend it, for me however, I decided to try something different.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

The last reviewer was correct: This place is a hidden gem. It was a clean room, with decent air conditioner and cable TV. Also a refrigerator. Best features, though, were the garden sounds from your porch, as well as the pool and hot tub. Other notes: It is about a 25-30 minute hike into Fortuna town, but there are some decent restaurants across the street. Avoid the pizza place directly across the street, however. There's also a grocery within easy walking distance. Best of all was the cost, including taxes, per night in late Nov. 2009: $40. But no breakfast included.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo