“hammocks, volcano views, tico breakfast included”

Cerro Chato Eco Lodge
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I thought this place was nice. It's quiet, clean, and tucked away from all the noise of the town. You have a view of both Cerro Chato and La Arenal from the property. I didn't use the swimming pool, but the breakfast was delicious and filling. You have the option of asking to dine-in (for lunch or dinner), or you can walk to the supermarket to purchase something to eat. There are also a few Sodas nearby to grab a bite.
We stayed only a few nights, and spent most of our time hiking to the waterfalls or rafting in the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 and had no troubles
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here for three nights and we definitely enjoyed our time at this rustic lodge. While small, the room has everything you need. (No a/c, but the fan is enough.) The grounds are beautifully kept and the pool is just the right size.

The owner, Miguel, was very kind and hospitable. He helped us with all of our questions and assisted us in setting up all of our activities. In addition, Miguel's wife, Carmen, makes a great breakfast for only $4.

If you are looking for something extravagant, then you will want to look elsewhere. However, if you want a quiet, outdoors feel with just enough comforts and a great price, this place is for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My friends and I stayed one night. For the price we paid, it was fine. It's in a natural setting, and it's very quiet. It was fine for a place to sleep one night, have breakfast in the morning and move on. I wouldn't want to stay here multiple nights. The rooms are small and there are no amenities. We had 2 adjacent rooms. One was buggy, the other was not. The breakfast was filling, the owner was very helpful and his wife pleasantly served breakfast. It was in the midst of a lovely area.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2011

The rooms here are decent and breakfast is included (which is amazing -- 4 stars for the breakfast), but the owner was rude and I would not go back to this place for that reason.

To make a long story short, the owner was very rude to us upon our arrival to the lodge despite the fact that the private taxi he hired failed to pick us up at the airport and we had to make other arrangements.

In addition, when we arrived (exhausted) at the lodge, the owner proceeded to argue with us about a miscommunication about a tour we booked through him. My friend wanted to do some outdoor activity/tour, but I did not, but the owner had already booked for 2 people. He proceeded to angrily tell us that we were making him lose money because he had to put a deposit down for both of us. He then told me that I would have to help him "lie" to the tour guides in the morning by telling them I was sick or in an accident and couldn't go on the tour. My friend and I were so shocked at his attitude because we had JUST arrived after a 3 hour drive, delayed flight, and failure on his part regarding the taxi that was suppose to pick us up.

The owner was civil to us for our remaining time that we were there, but despite the decent lodging and good breakfast, I would not stay there again. There are a few other lodges in the near vicinity that looked just as good as this one. I would recommend staying elsewhere to avoid the moody owner of this one.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank 551Phoenix
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed in similar cabinas in different places in 2 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica. Whereas we were happy with all other accommodations, this one we couldn't wait to move on from. Our cabina was very small and smelly. Asked about the smell, the owner offered a spray can against it. As the ceiling fan also didn't work, we were moved to another cabina. In 2 nights we killed 3 cockroaches, one we found in our bed. The bed was just bad.
Maybe more disappointing than all this was that the hosts here were the least helpful and least friendly Costa Rican hosts we met. We had the sense the hosts were unhappy doing what they did and we never felt welcome here whereas this is something Costa Ricans are generally so good at.
There are a few other lodges on the same road close by which look nicer and more professional. My fiance stayed at one of them before I arrived and loved it. Unfortunately it was full when we got there and we decided, to our regret, to try this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple