“Would not return”

Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I will start by saying that this is the first negative review I have submitted on any website ever. I'm not a "negative nelly" so know that I feel strongly about my experience. :)

If I had done some research on this leg of our trip to CR (my husband did it all), I would have avoided this place and I wish we had. The prices were RIDICULOUS in all caps. Our room was nice, but not any nicer than a Holiday Inn and I could never get hot water for a shower. The prices of the food and beverages were so astronomical that I found it hard to enjoy my vacation and even skipped a meal or two to eat left overs from my kids' plates. I normally don't mind spending money on vacation but really these prices were unreal. When I learned what our room rate was, and talked to a couple other people from other resorts about their prices/experiences, I got even more frustrated. The service was very impersonal, in fact my husband and I wondered if they were trained to "stay out of the guests' way" because they were so unfriendly. Also, I would highly recommend having a car if you stay here because the cab rides are $15 at least to get anywhere, each way. Obviously the overpricing of this leg of our trip was the most disappointing part for me. I really believe we could have have a better experience for half the price elsewhere.

The good: The hot springs were amazingly beautiful and I forgot for a while that I was in a hotel pool area. It really felt like we were in the wild. The grounds are kept beautifully both at the hotel and the hot springs. They allowed us a super early check in.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Cabesa25

Reviewed 13 June 2012

This no 5 star hotel. Period. No volcano views. No attention to detail. We didn't have hot water. A toaster in the room? Room nothing more than a Holiday Inn. The thermal springs are crowded and chaotic. Stay anywhere but here. Volcano Lodge is a far better option at a third of the price. AVOID!

Room Tip: There isn't one.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were recommended the Hotel by some other friends and the reality is More of what told Us, It was amazing Experience at the Hotel, very good room, nice areas, very friendly Staff.
But when we went to the spring water, we founf it the most beatifull Spring water resort ever visited, The food at the Hotel Restaurant was Top Noch, Excellent Service and very nice Live Music., at the Buffet Restaurant was Outstanding, we stayed 3 nights and we had the chance to enjoy the Mediterranean Buffet, very Authentic, Very good Job at the Restaurants & Bars, Thanks to all the Hotel Team for the Unforgetable Experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the Garden side
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FLgeo
Reviewed 2 June 2012

One word can describe this place…. AMAZING!

We were greeted at the front desk with a welcoming smile. They could tell we had traveled for many hours we were exhausted. They made check-in easy and quick. They valet parked our car and unloaded our luggage (we travel HEAVY) and placed it in a golf cart and took us to our suite (I recommend that you spend a little more for the suites; they are worth the price).
After arriving in our room we received a small knock on our door. It was maid service introducing her and wanted to see if we needed anything or needed or bed turned down for the night. A few minutes later, one of the waiters from the restaurant stopped by, and offered us chocolate covered strawberries. He again mentioned if we needed anything to please ask for him personally. I think competing hotels execs should go to this place and learn from the Tabacon Resort.

Accommodations
The room was great. It was very clean and they had a letter from the manager (hand signed) let us know how grateful they were that we were staying with them and if we needed anything to please contact him personally. We stayed in the Rainforest Suite and they made us feel like we were the only ones at the resort. The views on our deck were breath taking … in the morning you would see and hear the rainforest come alive.
Ambiance
This is a great place for a honeymoon or a romantic getaway. You can have as much interaction with others or be as isolated as desired. Our room had a Jacuzzi overlooking the rain forests as well as a standalone shower.

SPA/Thermal Springs
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! The Spa is well worth the hype and accolades it has received. From the moment we arrived, we were pampered. The welcome drinks, smoothies and relaxation area prior to our service even beginning definitely set the scene. We got a facial and massage and both treatments were incredible. Following the treatment, the fresh fruit, teas and hot springs pool were fantastic. This was definitely a highlight of our stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Erick I
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I just got back from my vacation at Tabacon, and I have to say it exceeded my expectations. The place, the food, the people, everything about it was Fantastic. It is worth every dollar! If you are in Costa Rica please do not forget to visit this place.

Best,
Maria

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank maria h
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.6 km away
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.6 km away
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
#14 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK