I will start by saying that this is the first negative review I have submitted on any website ever. I'm not a "negative nelly" so know that I feel strongly about my experience. :)
If I had done some research on this leg of our trip to CR (my husband did it all), I would have avoided this place and I wish we had. The prices were RIDICULOUS in all caps. Our room was nice, but not any nicer than a Holiday Inn and I could never get hot water for a shower. The prices of the food and beverages were so astronomical that I found it hard to enjoy my vacation and even skipped a meal or two to eat left overs from my kids' plates. I normally don't mind spending money on vacation but really these prices were unreal. When I learned what our room rate was, and talked to a couple other people from other resorts about their prices/experiences, I got even more frustrated. The service was very impersonal, in fact my husband and I wondered if they were trained to "stay out of the guests' way" because they were so unfriendly. Also, I would highly recommend having a car if you stay here because the cab rides are $15 at least to get anywhere, each way. Obviously the overpricing of this leg of our trip was the most disappointing part for me. I really believe we could have have a better experience for half the price elsewhere.
The good: The hot springs were amazingly beautiful and I forgot for a while that I was in a hotel pool area. It really felt like we were in the wild. The grounds are kept beautifully both at the hotel and the hot springs. They allowed us a super early check in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos