Arenal Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa(Arenal Volcano National Park)
Great 4.5/5
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
Great 4.5/5
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Lavas Tacotal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
Very Good 4/5
Linda Vista Hotel(El Castillo)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Kokoro Arenal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbutterfly gardenchalet roomjunior suitecosta ricahorseback ridinginfinity poolwinding roadkids roomhowler monkeysjacamar toursan adventureamazing viewsevery morningtour guidetour deskhiking trailssan jose
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Beautiful view of the volcano. We were in a family suite which was clean and comfortable. Loved the extra large showers! The living room area was a little gloomy--older furniture, a little musty, super-small TV which did not get any English-speaking channels. Pool area was nice. Hot tubs were older, and you need to tell the front desk to heat them up 20 minutes before you want to get in. Hiking trails were fun. There is a trail in front of the pool all the way out to an overlook which says it is a wedding spot--a huge statue of Jesus is there with the volcano on one side and Lake Arenal on the other. Very scenic, but was not on our map. Worth a walk out to it, if you have the chance. Breakfast selection same every day--a little more variety would have been nice. The restaurant's food was pretty good. Wine selection by the glass was minimal but there was a bigger selection by the bottle. Several waiters were really great, as was the bartender. The woman who works at the Jacamar tours counter in the lobby is excellent, and will help make sure you plan some fun and exciting things to do while in the area. She was really great! I don't know what people do for entertainment here at night. We stayed 3 nights before heading to the Conchal beach area, and every night we were really the only people in the small bar area. There is a pool table in the bar which is the only thing really to do in the bar at night but it is in disrepair. The top of the table is sewn together in an area, it is drawn on with marker, and there is only one pool cue with an actual tip. Our son had a good time playing pool there regardless. However, I am still trying to figure out what everyone else does there after dinner. Turns into a ghost town. A good place to stay for a few days. The only real issue we had there was with the owner/manager Marco. He is the reason I gave this review the title I did and feel it is a 3.5 star place. My husband arranged for a taxi to the German Bakery in the Arenal area to meet his guide for a kayak fishing trip. We are totally unfamiliar with the area, and relied on the front desk to get the taxi for us. When the girl at the front desk told us it was $85.00 to the Bakery, we thought that was steep. I asked if that was the price for one way and she said yes. We already paid a lot of $$ for the fishing trip, so there is no way he was backing out because of an expensive taxi, and we figured the front desk would know the best and most reasonable price. He paid the money, went fishing, and got a taxi back. The return driver charged my husband only $40.00! We asked at the front desk why the taxi they arranged for us was so expensive and we were told we had to speak to Marco, the manager/owner. The next morning, we found Marco and I explained what happened with the taxi and asked why their staff would arrange for a taxi which cost more than double what we should have paid for it. He said that the taxi company they deal with comes from LaFortuna, which is 20 km farther than the taxi company in Arenal, which would have been closer and cheaper, and was the taxi that brought him back. I asked why they didn't call the closer taxi. Marco told me they do not have a "relationship" with that company and they "don't even know their number." I was surprised, to say the least, and I suggested that he could google it, in the interest of saving his customers money when they are relying on the staff who are familiar with the area to get them where they need to be efficiently. He said that he would instruct his staff to consider the Arenal taxi when customers are traveling that way, but there was nothing he was willing to do to make the situation right with us. I told him I think he should give us a credit for his staff's mistake. He said to me, "So you want me to pay for your taxi?" This was said to me right at the front desk of the lobby with other customers around. I told him I think they should credit us the difference--$45.00--and told him we are checking out right now. (We had a restaurant tab to settle). He told us he would not do that. So unfortunately, $45.00 was more important to Marco than a happy customer. We feel we really left here on a bad note and it was unnecessary. It would have been very easy to make things right with us, but they chose not to. The Arenal Lodge is an ok place to stay for a few days, but I would really recommend not trusting the desk staff if you need a taxi, not expecting the owner/manager to rectify any issues to your satisfaction, and when it comes down to it maybe your money is better spent at one of the other hotels in the area. We got a day pass for the Springs Resort which was luxurious, pampering, welcoming, and ultra-modern. We did their adventure package which was so fun. If the Arenal Lodge wants to compete with a place like that, they need to improve the customer service, at a minimum.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Shelley18705
Marco D, Operaciones at Arenal Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

we appreciate the time you took.
We apologize for the misunderstood.
Hope you had a good trip home.

Best regard

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was a great place for family hikes. The waterfall was beautiful. We saw a huge group of Howler Monkeys during our hike and a ton a beautiful birds. I would love to try to stay at the lodge in the future. It seems like a great hotel.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank ashsca
Marco D, Operaciones at Arenal Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 days ago

Thank you very much.
Hope you can stay with us soon. It will be a pleasure to have you here.
Best regards.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Dont judge this place for its appearance. This is not a 5 star with luxurious/new stuff; not everything is sparkling new, but it works. However, this place will offer you great value, a great view, great service, clean everything, great buffet breakfast, great quality food from 0600am-1000pm, horseback riding within the hotel area, a beautiful pool with 2 jacuzzi, a relaxed environment surrounded by nature, and a very attentive owner that it's always around ensuring everything is perfect. This hotel is one of the first ones in the area and has an 80-90's character. As I mentioned the view is excellent and the relaxation of the hotel are the best two attributes. The only bad thing are the distance to the Fortuna Town. I definitely recommend this place. I've had a very relaxed and a great time here.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jose M

thank you very much for commenting.
It will be very useful for future clients. And also will help others to choose Arenal Lodge.

Time to relax... Time to Arenal Lodge.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel rated 3 stars, but I can’t even rate it 1 star. Rooms was in very bad conditions, mold and dirt in every corner and on the walls, mattress pillows and bedding are way way past due. I will not stay again or recommend this place to no one.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Benny M

We be sorry to hear your comment.
We apologize and hope sometime you give us another opportunity.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After the awesome trip up from the main road to the hotel, the view was well worth it.
Wildlife was interesting. Staff and services was friendly and efficient.
Classy rustic setting - just right for the country and setting. Lovely!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank veltab2017

We appreciate when people understand our concept, and transmitted it the way you just did.
Thank you very much for taking your time to comment.