“Not bad for the money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gringo Pete's Too

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Gringo Pete's Too
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“Not bad for the money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

I checked into Gringo Pete's after learning the hostel I wanted was booked except their much more expensive private rooms. Gringo Pete's doesn't offer much, but it provides all the essentials. The front gate is always locked and requires a key to enter/exit. Each room is locked as well, and the final measure of security are the lockers provided in each of the dorm rooms. My very large bag barely fit, but it fit! I borrowed a padlock from the front desk for no additional deposit.

$6 a night gets you a bed and a pillow. It didn't get me a top sheet, and it didn't get me a real mattress, just a foam padding over the frame's wood slats. No towel, but one thing I didn't expect: HOT WATER. I was kinda hoping for a cold shower after a long day in the 90-degree heat, so I was somewhat disappointed when the water came out in a warm rush, but hot water is usually a good thing.

I didn't experience any difficulties with the staff. In fact, when I asked the day prior to checkout if I should settle up then because I was leaving very early, I was told not to worry, to just ring the bell, and someone would assist me at 5:30am. I was also able to exchange some colones for dollars, as I was heading to Nicaragua, and the banks were already closed when I thought to make the exchange.

Like most hostels in La Fortuna, Gringo Pete's also offers tours. I was made aware of this, but there was no sales pressure.

One thing I'd have liked: a fan. I don't know about the other rooms, but the dorm I stayed in didn't have a single fan. But what do you expect for $6?

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tessin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

his was the worst hostel, I have ever slept in. this was such a rip off.
I have made a mistake, I thought check out time is at 11, and not at 10...what should not be a big problem. the whole hostel was nearly empty. But here they would rather yelled and mistreated people. Because of 6 dollars.... the guy sad to me....well this is the true life. That is a good start in the morning...... After travelling for 6 years in total and 8 monhts in south and central America, meeting all this amazing people all around the world, it is like a punch in your face waking up and realizing there are still too many horrible people on this planet....
i don't think they understood what is Backpacking and tourism.
This backpackers should be better a hotel, where they deal with people who have a lot of money .... money money money ..
the day before in town they tried to sell me trips for 100 dollar, the National park for 50 dollars entry......what was all a lie.
My expierienc about La Fortuna, over priced, peopel are very rude, guys are very harassment....just very bad.
i hope you guys dont have to deal with such awful people, while you on your holiday......
l

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank beak_0404

Travellers are raving about these La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I spent three nights here, I stayed in a private room with ensuite for 7000 colones . The staff are great, even accompanying us to the natural hot springs ( the free ones the Ticos go too ). There is a communal kitchen and a really good vibe here. Oh I was also given a welcoming glass of rum on arrival. Awesome place to stay. Oh swimming hole with Tarzan swing ( also free ) also really close by.Rooms are very clean too and also purple.x

• Stayed April 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Gringo Petes Too is very close the main bus terminal, a convenient locations when you are carrying heavy bags. Rooms are clean and personnel is friendly and helpful about guiding us to the waterfall and the hotsprings. The kitchen looks very spacious but all it takes is three people preparing a meal to feel cramped. Also, I had trouble sleeping because the mattress was 2 inches thin laying over wood panels. The tour saleman, Juan carlos was not very professional, He offered a choice of two tours, which we booked for the next day, so I don't know if he assumed we would cancel automatically when the day turned out raining, that even when the day clear no one showed up for the 2pm tour, or even mentioned the tour. We took a taxi to the hotsprings on our own and ironically ran into him in the hotsprings. He was drinking a beer and hanging out with friends.

Room Tip: The rooms in the second floor have great view of the volcano.