1,015 results
All reviewshiking trailscentral valleyinfinity poolsan joseprivate jacuzzicosta ricabotanical gardensoverlooking the valleycoffee plantationour honeymoontwinkling lightslarge balconybeautiful groundsrooms are hugemain buildingbefore flying homedogs barking
Reviewed 30 January 2012

First let me say that they hotel and grounds are nice and the added benefit of being on a piece of property with falls and hiking trails was great! But after reading all the reviews discussing how "Absolutely Amazing" this place was I was expecting more. Perhaps I got my hopes up to much. Also, I have to say that I stayed in this hotel and the Hotel Nayara while in Costa Rica which are pricey (for Costa Rica) properties so my review is on the value not comparing this place to a standard inn. Also hotel Nayara was impeccable so perhaps had we stayed at this place first my review would be different. We stayed in the Star Villa (the highest level of room; $530/nt plus tax for a 2 bedroom) for 3 nights last week. When we arrived the guy at the desk was very helpful and they provided a golf cart to take us and our stuff to the room. When we arrive, it was clean and everything was in place. The provide complimentary fruit, sodas, water, and cookies which was nice. The room and view are as gorgeous in person as they are in the photos! The rooms are very (very) spacious with comfortable sofas and chairs, the bathrooms were very clean and large as well. Only a few complaints with the rooms:the robes were thin and not comfortable, the maids left the doors open so I had to kill several 2in spiders and wasps throughout our stay (my husband is allergic), there is a huge ant problem and you cannot leave food anywhere (we had to take the trash out front of our gate every night or we would wake up with an infestation and ants infested my friends purse she had a single tootsie roll; we had to make several in the middle of the night calls to the front desk to get cans of raid), there is no WiFi internet in the rooms. I understand bugs, you are in the rain forest, but the ants seem like a more controlable issue. We made dinner one night and within 5 minutes of starting to prep we had ants. The robes and WiFi less understandable, especially for the price you are paying. Breakfast is complimentary with the room. The fresh breads, muffins, and fruit are delicious, but don't expect any more. They do have other items for extra $. They have one restaurant on property for lunch and dinner. The food is good for a resort, but mine was poorly cooked both nights we ate there. You can get free coffee through the restaurant throughout the day which is nice. The grounds are pretty and the Grand Waterfall (No. 4) is great and there is a pool at the bottom you can swim in. There was one front desk guy who was there several times who was pretty rude and very unhelpful, he appeared to be a guide? He was wearing shorts and a vest every time we saw him. We were wanting to go to a restaurant in town and we had looked at the top rated restaurants on TripAdvisor before going. The front desk person had not heard of them and so we asked him for a suggestion and he said "Well, there is nothing interesting in Alajuela. There is an Argentinian steakhouse which you could try..." (that Argentinian restaurant is 15/15 in Alajuela according to TA so we didn't go). Hungry with no options we were ushered into the Hotel's restaurant ($115 for 4 with no alcohol). My suggestion take the $12 roundtrip taxi to the new supermarket and pick up some fresh and cheap fixings for a dinner ($7 for dinner for 4) to cook at your room. We took rides with Rodrigo through the hotel to a few of their day trips, and he was super nice and accommodating. Overall the hotel was good, it was clean (minus the bugs) but definitely not a great value. For the $600 per night (including taxes) we paid per night I would expect a lot more. There was barely any customer service, we maybe were spoken to by staff 3 times a day including at breakfast and for the price tourists are staying it seems a bit more could be done (iHomes for music players, WiFi). If you are wanting to stay in Alajuela it may be the best option and again a good hotel. Just be aware that there is nothing close to walk to.Also airport transportation is included.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
XGerente, Manager at Xandari Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not fill your expectations.

Keeping the ants away from the villas and gardens using only environmentally-friendly products has been a huge challenge, but we hope a new product we are using will provide an effective solution.

We are surprised by your customer service comment and will take corrective measures to make sure our staff continues to give only their best to our guests. We will be taking a deep look at all your comments and use them to improve our guests´ experience.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband and I spent a day at the Xandari Spa, we were absolutely blown away by the experience. We were given excellent care by the staff there, special thanks to Konrad and Clara who took us on a relaxing and exhilarating journey and made this day truly PERFECT!. We were lucky to arrive in a day were they gave complimentary meditation and stretching classes which we took before the massage and it was a wonderful way to start our relaxing and pampering day. The place is truly breathtaking and gives a feeling of serenity. We thoroughly recommend this Hotel and most of all the spa experience. It is like none other, not just a fabulous massage, but a whole experience of well being physical and emotional.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Spent my last two nights here before flying home with a plan to relax and have a spa day before heading back to reality. The resort is amazing with stunning views of the Central Valley! The spa was good, but not great. The restaurant was fantasic...food, wine, and view.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I read all the reviews before booking our last night stay at Xandari Resort, but I was still totally blown away by this place. Our room was like an apartment - very spacious and had lots of storage space, seating, kitchen, and plenty of privacy. The grounds are spectacular and we enjoyed hiking to all the waterfalls on the property. I also enjoyed seeing the orchid house, the herb garden and so much more. I only wished we were staying more than one night.

The food at the restaurant was really tasty and oh-so-romantic with an incredible view of the city. They were very helpful picking something that was vegan friendly from the menu. The buffet breakfast is pretty standard and was good.

The only bummer is that there were some dogs barking late into the night and than started up again early in the morning. I'm not sure if this is an on going issue or just bad timing. Also, we had some LOUD talkers in the villa next to us and while the design of the high ceiling is really a cool concept, it may make the noise carry a bit. We heard everything.
HOWEVER, this place is too cool to pass up. I was very impressed with this resort and would not hesitate to return, but for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carol N
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed in an Ultra Villa for three nights in December and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We showed up around nine and the kitchen was closing but They were more than happy to prepare whatever we wanted. It was great to be able to hike on site and visit the waterfalls. Although a few things in the rooms are showing some wear, we absolutely loved our room. The view was spectacular and we loved the privacy on our own patio. If we were heading to costa rica again we would definitely spend our first few nights here. A perfect place to unwind. The cd they provided us was great, I wish I had taken it with me as it was a fantastic mix of music. We also loved the food in the restaurant so much we never left the resort to eat! Highly recommend this resort and was sad to leave. Have to also mention all the staff were fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2011