“Best Steakhouse in the Shoals area”
Review of George's Steak Pit

George's Steak Pit
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 March 2017

This steakhouse is a local favorite and is on par with some of the finer steakhouses outside of the area. The steaks, chicken, pork, and fish are grilled in an open pit over hickory logs (if you don't like a smoky flavor, then choose another steakhouse). The menu offers wine pairing suggestions (extensive wine list!) and homemade desserts. Service is professional and at your own pace. The ambiance is inviting and allows for a quiet dinner. We've never had a bad meal here.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

As a native of Sheffield, of course I've been dining there since George and Vangie were regular fixtures there and we would see their kids helping in the kitchen and dining room. I have been living away from the Shoals for nearly 40 years and have returned to George's several times over the years. It is nice to see that Frank continues a fine tradition and the quality of the food is better than ever. Wait staff is professional and courteous - far beyond what you would expect in a small town steakhouse - the combination of food and service quality is on par with some of the best steakhouses I have patronized in big cities in Texas, Ohio, California, Calgary, Toronto, and supposedly world famous Argentinian beef houses. George's holds up in some pretty good company. Can't go wrong with the kabobs but the George's ribeye or a filet mignon is what the true steak lover will want to have. Do NOT order it any more done than medium (the menu will discourage it as well) - medium rare with a nice cab and you will be beef heaven. Creme brulee is fantastic for dessert.

Frank and staff - well done! Definitely worth the drive from Huntsville!

Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

We went to George's to get a good meal. Boy, were we disappointed! Start to finish the meal was terrible. The "greek" salad dressing was straight vinegar. Then the tenderloin filet kabob ($26.95) was tough and so full of grisel that you could not cut the meat. My husband's porkchops ($19.95) were tough and dry. The tab for the two was almost $60 . We should have saved our money. We were just glad that we didn't spend $40 ($39.95) for the ribeyes. Three out of four of the last times we have eaten there has been the same. The only exception was last year on new years eve. So I guess the moral to this story is "only eat at George's on new years eve".

Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

We went to celebrate my Aunt's 80th. Although they were told it was special, they didn't even have our reservation down. So no acknowledgment was made. The meals are fine. I ordered the filet and it was tasty. My Aunt ordered a small rib eye that was overlooked and so was my husband's. But, the service was good and the staff pleasant. It is pricey for what you get. Toasted loaf bread and a very small iceberg salad comes with your meal. I certainly don't think it is the best steak in Alabama, but Sheffield doesn't offer many fine dining choices. I would opt for other places in the area next time.

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

I came to George's with a group of about 25-30 rowdy guys after golfing. The wait staff was phenomenal. They took great care of our group and made the night fun for all. They were very attentive and thorough. They listened to everyone's orders and got all the details spot on. The food was just as good as their service. Our group loved our time there and we will be back.