“Excellent ”

Ranked #128 of 17,338 Restaurants in Shanghai
Neighbourhood: People’s Square
Neighbourhood: People’s Square
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I can only agree with the comments I read here. Excellent food. Pleasant atmosphere and the people are extremely welcoming without making you feel uncomfortable. Not cheap but very tasty.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A very, very good friend invited us out to Epices&Foie Gras... we had never been nor had we even heard anything about the restaurant so we were apprehensive. BUT - my friend is very demanding when it comes to food and wine so I cast my fears aside.

The restaurant is really quite a cool little location - set on a busy street near the Bund. The area looked more like Manhattan than Shanghai (to me anyway) (but aren't we talking about a French restaurant? Shouldn't it look like someplace in France???... yeah - I guess - but it didn't so be quiet and continue reading please.) A slight step down from the street into a seating area fit for about 20 people. Upstairs was a loft... I didn't go up there so I didn't see how many people could fit - but I doubt many more than the ground level.

How was the food?

The food was excellent. We shared terrine with slices of dried sausage and gherkins on the side. Then we had individual starters. Two of us had immense - not on the menu - salads (I know it isn't really taxing for a fine food establishment to put together a salad, but I'm always impressed with it when they do something off-spec and do it really well. These were rather nice.) My wife had the onion soup as a starter and a salad consisting of goat's cheese and parma ham that she was very, very pleased with. My meal was a trilogy of foie gras followed by beef cheeks in a wine sauce with whipped potato and grilled vegetables. You will be happy to know that the foie gras were excellent - it IS in their name so it would have been painfully ironic for the dish(es) to not pass muster. The beef cheeks were wonderful - hearty and strong overall, but still with complexity in each bite... lovely textured meat - soft but not sloppy. Wonderful vegetables too.

I didn't have any wine or dessert so I can't comment - but my friends were very satisfied with their selections (which are beyond the grasp of my memory as I write this.)

How was the service?

The service was fantastic! Each member of the staff that we dealt with spoke Mandarin (d'uh!) some English and excellent French! The manager (I assume he was the manager) was a charming man who had the dignity to laugh at my lame jokes... I always appreciate when people recognize that I'm either a comedic genius far beyond the age I live in, or simply adhere to 'the customer is always right/funny' as a general modus operandi.

This was a really nice evening spent with friends in a charming setting. The location and the service and the food are all there for you - add friends and you have a memorable night of your own in the making!

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Very reasonable set lunch menu - $19 two course or $21 for three. Staff were professional, good English, service was quick and the food most excellent. Very definitely authentically European, the steak was excellent and the house wines by the glass perfectly acceptable. I’d be tempted to return for a somewhat more lavish evening dinner. Certainly a nice place for a date.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

I've been there several times and each time, it was a pleasant experience.
When the weather is fine, you can eat outside on the terrace (not many seats so make sure you book in advance to enjoy it).
If you like French food, i strongly recommend this place.
The service is always perfect. My last visit was last Saturday and can't wait to come back again.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place while going to the restaurant next door which is located in a historic former newspaper publishing house. The place looked interesting and therefore I researched about it more. Also, my french colleague recommended the place as he knows the owner and had a couple of meals in EFG as well.

We started with the 1/2 dozen Pacific Oysters and they were fresh, plump with a good briny taste. Shared the Seared Foie Gras in red wine with roasted pear, nicely cooked and prepared for all the different flavors to come out—noticed a nice slice of Iberico ham between the goose liver and toast. Our mains were the Australian Beef Fillet with Foie Gras and Rack of Lamb with crusted pistachios both cooked perfectly to medium per our request. We paired the food with a bottle of 2013 La Terrasse de la Garde that went well with our spread but would have been better if we had some champagne with the oysters :-) Lastly, we ended with the chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream. Definitely a good way to end our anniversary dinner.

Service was very good as the server was very attentive. Food was brought in at the right pace and plated very nicely. Prices were also quite reasonable.

After such a good culinary experience, one would think the establishment is flawless but unfortunately after visiting the toilet, my rating of the place started to go downhill. The management will need to make big improvements in the cleanliness of the WC as it didn’t match the overall restaurant experience.