All reviews carbon neutral hotel recycled materials reclaimed wood atrium room the penthouse garden view great design jing'an temple small hotel bustling city french concession lounge area rooms are spacious home away from home metro station china suitcases
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Very Nice Hotel - well situated - clean and friendly.
Good Bar, Restaurant, Roof Terrace.
The Rooms have their very own style with Multi-Level Podests.
The Bed is centered on The Podest.
It's a approx. 20cm high overhang - just Imagine you get up @ Night.
You may just fall with unknown result or Break your Toes as I did ;(
Two more of my Team had the exact same diagnose....
So be very careful and always turn the (Hidden) Lights on.
Other than that a very nice Place.
Will come again - with enforced/ protective Socks ;)

Date of stay: September 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed for 3 nights at the end of June.

During our month in China it was our favorite hotel of the following: Hotel Icon (Hong Kong), The Opposite House (Beijing), Peninsula (Beijing), Sofitel (Xi'an), and Buddhazen (Chengdu).

I booked the room through the website months in advance. At the time, there was a special rate of 3 nights for the price of 2 including breakfast.

We stayed in Room 1, a garden view room with a king-size bed that was made up as twins.

We loved this hotel for the following reasons:

Decor and room
Beautiful and creatively used materials (gray brick, wood, linen). Room was large with a step down lounge area that had a built-in sofa extending the length of the window and wrapping around to create a rectangle. Floor to ceiling windows overlooking a bamboo-walled garden. Extra deep soaking tub and fabulous gray tiled shower. Everywhere you look in this hotel, something attractive is happening.

Bed
Firm, comfortable, crisp white linens, feather pillows.

Amazing breakfast - we could choose whatever we wanted off the menu! My favorite was the house-made muesli. We ordered room service for my daughter and she loved the creamy macaroni cheese (hold the truffle oil).

Housekeeping
The URBN is immaculate! Housekeeping is discrete; you never see them but our room was always spotless and everything that needed replacing was. There is turn-down service with chocolate.

Friendly, helpful, and mostly English speaking.

Clientele
International, tourist and business, spiffy.

A few items were less than perfect:

Location
I don't know Shanghai and I couldn't quite understand the location...we had to take a taxi everywhere.

Wood
Some areas of the wood paneling in the room needed to be refinished.

Lighting
Low light at bathroom mirror

Bathroom
Only one sink and inadequate space around it.

Temperature
Hallways were overly warm and humid.

On my next trip to Shanghai, I would stay at the URBN - and if not there, I might investigate choices on the Bund, perhaps the Peace Hotel.

Room tip: Room 1 was perfect. I would ask for something that was similar.
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The hotel is extremely causy and particular.
It's built partially recycling materials from old french concession houses and has a very warm and familiar feeling. The bedrooms are all nice and nothing like anything you can find in town.
They kind of look like a classy elegant bedroom of an old boat!
The location is convenient and 5 minutes form Mtr, but offers a slightly more local neighborhood than close by hotels. You can find local massages, fruit stores and nice bars around.
There is also "Di Vino" a little italian wine bar at 3 minutes walking distance.
Last but not least you are in Jing'an in a small hotel and not in the usual big 200 romms+ hotels where the service unfortunately never meets expectations.
Cheers
Filippo

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife and I live in Shanghai, but decided to have a mini-getaway in our home town.
We chose the URBN Hotel without knowing too much about it. We were in luck...

Great location, great design (love the reception area with the "suitcase wall"), we also appreciated the fact that the entire hotel is designed using reclaimed bricks and wood from the former French Concession. Our room was very nice, plenty of space, very comfortable bed.

Friendly staff, they could maybe have been a little more attentative...

Complimentary afternoon drinks and snacks in the lounge - nice touch. A bit strange that they only offered Beer and Spirits - no wine!

Dinner in the Downstairs restaurant - we cleaned our plates!

We will most probably do this again sometime, and definately recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We booked a garden-view room at URBN based on numbers of positive comments on TripAdvisor.
UBN is a very special and unique place, with alternative and vintage taste.
Rooms are spacious, "different" and very pleasant.
The overall atmosphere is so "cool" that sometimes, the staff gets caught into this coolness ...
On our first day, there was a small incident, which did not make us too happy! We made it known and management reacted immediately and applied corrective measures swiftly. From then on, we were fully pleased and satisfied about our stay.
Ferguson, the F&B manager deserves a particular and warm "thank you" for his customer-focused attitude and great friendliness.
If you are looking for something different, don't hesitate to try URBN !

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple