“Excellent food. OK service. Bring cash and not a foreign credit card.”
Review of Shintori

Shintori
Ranked #44 of 17,249 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed 11 December 2017

The experience started off quite well. I arrived and the service was superb, attentive and fast. They brought almost immediately the complimentary tea and edemame.
The place itself is super cool. Other reviews have written extensively about it.
The food was excellent. I ordered the Miso Black Cod (AMAZING) and 4 pieces of sushi, one better than the other. I asked for advice with Sake and I was promptly helped -they make you even choose your own glass, among a significant variety. All funny glasses.
I was expecting an outrageous price before looking at the menu (given what other reviews said). However, I found the price reasonable for the type, quantity and quality of food. Exactly the opposite that happened to me in a "rapid lunch" where a fewreviewers mentioned a "cheap eat" and I found prices quite expensive for the food (Din Tai Fung). In the US the same dinner as Shintori would have been at least three digits.
Having said all the nice things, when I finished my dinner is when the issues started. Firstly, I asked whether they could call me a taxi to get back to my hotel. They said "no call, no taxi". Alright, fine, but not what you would expect for an expensive place. Maybe it's just that in that area taxis don't go that often, or that you can find them on the street quite easily. No explanation given.
Secondly, their machine did not read my card. Thinking that there might be an issue with that particular card, i gave them another. Both US issued. It also did not work. They said that "sometimes" it happens to them that their machine can't read foreign cards. I wasted more than 20 minutes with this credit card thing and the final result was not entirely satisfactory: They took a picture of front and reverse of my credit card, in addition of making me sign the bill. That's a bit too much. At least, they did it in front of me (a fair thing, as they could have easily taken the pictures of my card without me noticing). During this challenging time, the service was still good. The guy was quite apologetic and they kept on giving me tea (but still, when this is clearly restaurant's fault, they could have offered some sort of complimentary thing for the time I wasted... they could have made a discount, or at least brought me more sake!).
So, I ate well, but I didn't leave entirely satisfied.
I would recommend this place, but most definitely I would recommend foreigners to bring cash to avoid unnecessary waste of time.

1  Thank elmasgrande

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

Ordered noodles and 1 skewer one hour ago. . still waiting. I am with 5 other colleagues, their food has been already served 30 minutes ago, everyone is waiting for me to start dining while their dishes are getting cold. Too embarassing. Food finally came ... nothing special. Too bad, I am very disappointed. I do not recommended it.

1  Thank Giuseppe G
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Great atmosphere and good service.
High quality food with a good view if you sit at the upper level tables. The cod fish is perfect.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The entrance has no big evidences, it is quite dark and have no signs outside. It looks like a black square box with few lights on the ground. Once you are in, the atmosphere is unique. It is clearly a former industrial site , open space, very essential, but also very elegant, definitely japanese style. The food is very good, there is a wide variety of Japanese food cooked and presented in a very high quality way, my (business) guests were delighted by everything, including quality of service. It is definitely an experience you should not
miss if you like Japanese cuisine and you want to impress your guest.
The price is high, but I think it is well deserved.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

super fresh fish in an amazing location. this place is unforgettable! good selection of sushi, great place to have a drink but closes early for shanghai