“Most Unfairly Misunderstood and Underrated hotel in Shanghai”

New Harbour Service Apartments
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I stayed at the New Harbour Serviced Apartments in May during the Shanghai Expo. After reading so many negative reviews, I was expecting
to have many problems upon arrival. Now the Big Surprise, I didn't experience a single problem that other travelers have been complaining about.

So I would like to word my review like a hotel "OPERATING MANUAL"
for the benefit of future guests:

Arrival/Departure:

The receptionist asked if we needed help with the bags. The nice and prompt bellboy carried all bags to the room. No Tipping in China. If they don't request to bring bags up, you can request it (i had to request when
departing), if bellboy is busy, they can take your room number and drop it
off later.

Kitchen:

I was prepared to have to rent utensils for the room. In reality, You already get 2 place settings on the dining room table (plates, bowls,
spoons, chopsticks). Also 2 glasses in the kitchen for the water dispenser and tea bags.
If you request utensils, this means a Pot and Pan plus stove cooking
utensils. It only costs 10 Yuan for the entire week! We never needed
these cooking tools, as we only used the microwave after eating out.
So utensils means stove items, not basic eating utensils which are already in the room when you arrive.

Air Conditioning:

The air conditioning is NOT broken all the time. This is a Japanese Ceiling A/C with a white remote control. The black remote is for the TV and the White one is for the A/C. You can turn the A/C on and off and adjust tempurature with the remote. The A/C is off when you arrive. It is
your responsibility to turn it on. This solves the mystery reviews about
the broken A/C s that never get fixed.

TV channels in room:

ESPN Asia, CNN Asia, and Newschannel Asia were the 3 english channels. I also ran across a couple of Japanese, DW Germany, 1
French channel. No British Sky or BBC though. No kids channels, not even chinese ones (my 5 year old's disappointment). Altogether a good 30 chinese channels.

Breakfast Buffet:

As previous reviewers have stated, 1 buffet ticket per day per room. You
must buy additional tickets for additional adults. For Children, you may not use or purchase tickets (adults only) ! But you will pay at the buffet and sign to the room for each child (30 RMB) or half the price of an adult. These are their rules. Just go along. I wanted to just buy all the tickets for my child in advance, but this is not the policy. Buffet tickets for adults. Sign at table for children. MY MISTAKE.

Service (Losing Face):

My Buffet ticket problem could have turned into a misunderstanding (like
what previous reviewers write about) but I just remembered that it is
always my mistake, and ask what the rules are. You cannot accuse a chinese person of making a mistake because they will lose face. Keeping this in mind, I NEVER had a problem at this hotel because they always made an effort to solve MY PROBLEMS. I think this is why the western hotel chains always finish on the top of the list in on shanghai
tripadvisor. The western hotel chains train employees how to deal with
foreigners better than the chinese hotels. If you keep the "losing face" thing in mind, you should not have any service related problems in any of the chinese hotels.

Laundry:

There was a self serve laundry and a full serve one. I decided to give the
full service laundry a go, which is all done by the maid. Just count all your
clothes and estimate the number of each clothing type on the form. Leave
laundry bag outside room with form on top of bag. I got all of our laundry
done for the entire week for only 60 RMB ($10).

Internet Access:

I went downstairs to ask for the rate to use the internet in our room. The
staff told me the internet was free! The default website made me agree to a fee, but when I settled up at the end of the week, I did not get charged a penny! We had a standard 2 bedroom apartment. I don't know if this has anything to do with us getting free internet or now. The room type may matter though.

Groceries:

I was under the assumption that the cheapest groceries would be at the
largest supermarkets. This is absolutely not true. I actually went to
the large City Market on the bottom of the Times Square Mall and the prices were 3 times to 10 times higher than the little market across the street from the hotel (Family Mart). There is also a Carrefour in the bottom of another mall, once again foreigner prices 3 times higher. So do all of your grocery shopping across the street. You get real chinese prices there. A 12 oz bottle of coke was about 40 cents USD. In
the USA, this bottle of coke is $1.59 now.

Pool:

This was my favorite part of the hotel. A fantastic hotel pool, a perfect tempurature, and not too much chlorine! The pool area is as nice and
clean as the photos depict! I liked the fact that the pool did not close until 10:00pm. What a treat! I went swimming after I came home each and
every evening! Watch out if you have young kids, both sides of the pool are the same depth (5 1/2 feet or so) I just carried my 5 year old son around the pool in my arms.

Opinion:

I have been planning my Shanghai trip for a few months now, Just 1 year
ago this hotel was #12 in the Shanghai Hotel reviews. In the last few months, the bund construction noise has dropped this hotel to #39.
The construction is now over. The hotel should at least climb back up to #20 in the next few months. At least I had a 5 star stay!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank Cycloney

Reviewed 4 June 2010

My partner and I stayed at the New Harbour during our recent trip to Shanghai for the World Expo. We were given an upgrade to a two bedroom when we arrived. The staff were all very friendly and spoke English. New Harbour is well located, near the metro with stores and resturants all around. The breakfast was good with plenty of food, but became a little boring after a few days, so we went to one of the many bakeries nearby and brought things to eat. There are also several good noodle shops nearby offering great food for very low prices, about $3 t0 $5 per person. Even though we were only on the fourth floor, we had no trouble sleeping and we had good working a/c in each of our rooms. We took the metro everywhere and found both the World Expo and Shanghai to be very exciting. The one problem were the crowds at the Expo. We were not able to see most of the Western Europe country pavilions due to the lines. One tip, if you are a US citizen, show you passport to get VIP entry into the US pavilion. Also, if you can get into the China pavilion, try to see it. Skip the wait for Saudi Arabia, not worth it. Thailand and Spain were good.

2  Thank TonyD94
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed at New Harbour Serviced Apartments in mid-May while sightseeing and visiting the Shanghai World Expo. We chose this property because of its central location, close to many attractions. The apartments are small but comfortable and we came to enjoy the sense that we had our own place in a strange metropolis. Where many hotels ration the drinkable water to two bottles per day, New Harbour provides a jug dispenser of several gallons. The breakfast was generally good, although the gentleman on the egg station could stand some practice frying "over easy" eggs.

This hotel was a great value for its location. The concierge hooked us up with EXPO tickets and transportation to the event on a day when the local China Mobile outlet was sold out. Tickets were face value and the transportation, by bus and boat, was reasonable and a pleasurable experience. A troupe of indiginous native performers from the New Zealand EXPO pavilion were staying in the hotel and they made the late night bar scene at the hotel raucous and fun.

New Harbour Serviced Apartments exceeded our expectations and we will certainly return there when we next visit Shanghai.

Reviewed 29 May 2010

We were 3 adults traveling so it was nice to have the space of an apartment. There were 2 bedrooms and one bathroom with a living/dining area and a small but quite serviceable kitchen. The apartment was very well located, within walking distance to many sights. We ate breakfast in the restaurant which had sufficient western and Chinese choices. The staff was not overly helpful, but responded to our needs when asked. I agree with other reviews that the style is basic, but I did not at all feel this to be a negative. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dsw54
Reviewed 27 May 2010

The New Harbour Serviced Apartments were very nice. The location is fantastic - just 5 minutes to the metro stop at Dashije in a very central location. There are plenty of supermarkets and resturaunts all around as well. You can walk to the Bund or the old city in 15 minutes.

The room was very nice. We loved having a seperate living room and kitchen. In a place where they never tend to have cold drinks, the refrigerator/freezer was perfect. The room was quiet and comfortable. The A/C worked very well for us - but it wasn't terribly hot while we were in Shanghai. We didn't use the pool, but the Internet center was nice (even if they did charge you every time you want to use it). We didn't eat at the resturaunt either as there were several very good places to eat all around.

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful with very good command of English. We made several random requests while there and the accomodated every one.

If we ever return to Shanghai, we will stay here again. Great value, great location, friendly staff and nice, spacious rooms.