All reviewsbedroom apartmentpeople's squarenanjing roadsmall kitchenthese apartmentspots and panswashing machinedining tablewalking distancedashijie stationminute walkshanghai museumliving areafood streetpeople's parksmall supermarketcentral location
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Great convenient and secure location, large rooms and bathroom. More of an apartment then a hotel, nevertheless service at the front desk was outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank apatahunga
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This hotel is centrally located between People's Square and Old Town, and blocks away from the Dashijie subway station making the entire city readily accessible. Traveling with a group of friends from college, we booked a two-bedroom suite on hotels.com for a price that was considerably lower than most western chains that were nearby. We got an incredible amount of space and amenities for the money (full living and dining room, kitchen, nice pool/spa area, access to business center, slippers, laundry services etc.). It is true that the hotel could use some updates in some of the upper corridors, the a la carte rental of cookware is a hassle, and wi-fi in the room would have been nice, but rooms and common areas were clean and comfortable. Also, our room had a great view of the Pudong skyline at night. In our experience the staff were attentive and helpful in all parts of the hotel (housekeeping, front desk, bell staff, restaurant) and most spoke English.

I would not bother with the hotel restaurant or the breakfast packages. The food was so-so and it was quite pricey given the options. It is not a problem because there are numerous restaurants within a few blocks, and 3 nearby supermarkets to stock up on snacks and breakfast items. Also, in the morning there are tons of street vendors and bakeries in the neighborhood selling delicious items to people on their commutes and that is a much more fun experience than a western breakfast buffet.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mikhail384230
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I booked on their website for a special , non-refundable deal for a 3 day stay in a 2 bedroom apartment; before re-reading my plane tickets and realising that I only had 2 night and not 3 nights in Shanghai! My own fault of course.
I tried to email them several times but never received any response or acknowledgement. So I arrived with at the hotel with a slightly sour taste in my mouth to start with. However, when I explained my predicament, the receptionist put me through to the sales department. The lady on the line apologised that they could not refund the third night as it was a special deal but was happy to offer us 8 free breakfasts for our family of four. I was pleased with this as the value of the breakfast was good.
It was served in a beautiful large dining room and although not massive, there was quite a good spread of both western and a few chinese choices ( my only complaint would be that there were not enough Chinese choices- in China, I would have preferred to eat more local food).
There were also a few types of juices and a egg station ( who was able to cook dh's sunny-side up eggs more perfectly than the chefs on the Royal Caribbean cruise we had just disembarked off).
The first morning, we mis-read the timing and arrived at 10am just as they were closing the breakfast buffet but they were still happy to serve us with smiles and urged us to overfill our plates as they were going to remove the buffet spread.
The apartment was large and had a large master bedroom with a king size bed and ample wardrobe space. The second bedroom was tiny and had a "single bed" but actually it was a super-single big enough for 2 teenage boys to share.
The main drawback was that there was only 1 combined bathroom and toilet. This was well-provided with toiletries and amenities including slippers, sewing kits and all other niceties. But with 4 people sharing the apartment, mornings and nights did take a long time.
There was a large sitting and dining area, the size of most normal homes.
The kitchen had a stove and microwave and there was also a large fridge in the dining area, There was also a kettle and teabags, no coffee. However, it was quite useless as it was not supplied with any cooking utensils, just a few bowls, chopsticks and mugs. Forget about pots, there was not even a knife, fork or spoon in sight. You couldn't even buy back a western style take out meal to eat in the apartment.
For short stay rooms, they would have done better to just have converted the kitchen to a second bathroom and put the microwave in the dining room.
We discovered a food street with many snack and seafood restaurants just round the corner and had a fabulous dinner at the Yunnan Dreaming restaurant there.
This hotel is very central to all the tourist attractions and we were able to walk to the Yuyuan and the bazaar in the area. Taxis were so easy to pick up and cost so little more for the 4 of us compared to a metro ticket that we did not bother to look for the metro station in the area.

I would stay there again if I visit Shanghai again with the family.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank ElanSingapore
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed in a three bedroom apartment for one week, and found this hotel to be perfect for a nice Shanghai experience. The hotel is somewhat dated, but the rooms are clean, comfortable and practical. Service is good, and they always fixed our requests promptly (car service, train tickets etc), but the language barrier can give a feeling that they are brushing you off.
The Hotel is located in the middle of Shanghai with easy access to the metro, local stores and sightseeing. In addition to this we found a fantastic restaurant a few blocks from the hotel (Dreaming Yunnan Gourmet).

Services:
- The laundry service is quick and practical (75 RMB for a washing, folding and delivery of a full machine).
- Breakfast is pricy and not worth it.
- The bar is weird and overpriced, but the awkward service and weird decor is worth one visit
- Next to the hotel you'll find Party World, a popular karaoke joint. Rent a room a sing!

TLDR; Perfect hotel for a larger group interested in a big apartment in the middle of Shanghai.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gnz
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I have lodged in better known hotels in Shanghai, including the Marriott at Tomorrow Square and the Grand Hyatt on top of the Jin Mao Tower, but when it comes to value for my dollars, I always think of New Harbour Hotel and Service Apartments. I have stayed there on a number of occasions, ranging from a few days to a month, so I feel confident in writing a reliable review. First, be honest about it, New Harbour does not have the twinkles and glitters of a five-star establishment. It will not elicit any wows and awes. But if one just wants clean, comfortable, conveniently located modern accommodation for a modest price, I could not imagine a better choice. Its housekeeping is superb, too, and is comparable to any first-rate hotels. My preference is the Deluxe Executive Suite, which is actually the same as its two-bedroom apartment, but with one of the bedrooms refurnished as a simple office (a bookcase, desk and chair). It also has a spacious living room, a small kitchen and a dinning area. My unit also has a combined washer and dryer that is indispensable for a long stay. (Not every suite has it.) For all those, including service charge, I paid approximately US$3,700 a month in April 2011. There was no extra charge for its internet connection. To obtain the monthly rate, I found it necessary to contact the reservation department directly after first booking through their website.

What I like New Harbour best is its location. Even though it is on a side street, partially hidden by some lilongs (traditional Shanghai housing blocks), it is only a short walk to a major subway station, various bus stops, the People’s Square, and the old and new shopping districts in Shanghai. Take a look inside the lilongs if you can because that’s a way of life fast retreating from the urban scene of Shanghai.

Taxis? Taxis are everywhere and cheap. Just raise your hand and you’ll get one. For quick cash, Citi Bank is nearby. There are all sorts of local eateries in the immediate area, not to mention the ubiquitous McDonald’s and Starbucks. Across from the hotel is a noodle and dumpling house that traces its origin back to the time of the last imperial dynasty. On the way to the subway station is a roadside vendor who makes shaobings (sesame pancakes) in a makeshift oven that are popular with the morning commuters. Western tourists seem to prefer a couple of cafes in the same vicinity that serve cappuccinos and French pastries.

Lest I forget, just around the corner from New Harbour, is a street lined with boutiques, both upstairs and downstairs, specializing in acoustic instruments. Be it a Chinese dizi flute or a Steinway grand piano, they have it. And on those moments when pampering yearns, The House of Roosevelt is just 10-minute by taxi away, where one may indulge himself or herself in fine wines, chic western cuisines and a magnificent view of the Bund on its Sky Restaurant and Bar (cleverly called, Lust, Caution Restaurant and Bar, in Chinese as in the title of Ang Lee’s 2007 movie).

Being a retired sociology professor, I found the location of New Harbour offers an exceptional vantage point on the every life of the average citizenry in Shanghai – both the fast fading past and the emerging future. You can feel you are in the vortex of this great social change.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo