“Buzzy area”
Review of Yu Garden (Yuyuan)

Yu Garden (Yuyuan)
Ranked #25 of 1,356 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A classical garden complete with period style buildings. The Garden was created by Pan Yunduan a Government Officer for his family finishing in 1577.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Nice area with shops and old style temple buildings. Did not actually go in the garden as long queues at ticket counter. But walked the zigzag bridge which is free. Do go early to avoid crowds, anywhere in China.

All reviews
in 180 reviews
"bazaar"
in 169 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The Garden was inside the Yu Yuan Street. Beautiful with landscape garden. Not all parts was open at that time. 3 area was under renovation. Need a tourist guide to assist you where to go cause its like a maze. You didnt know if you went to all of the part of the garden.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I was in the area twice. Didnt know that the garden is inside the YuYuan street. Some of the area were closed when we went there. Love the landscape, the garden and old house. Didnt love the idea that new houses were build beside them. But then I enjoy my vacation here. Love the weather and place. A little too crowded at the start.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The garden was beautiful, divided into many rooms, each with a different feel. Husband said it reminded him of IKEA! So many people though made it the opposite of restful and peaceful but we have some really beautiful photographs of the buildings, carvings and designs. Last entry is at 4 .30pm. miles of bazaar before you get to the gardens with some great food outlets

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018

It was my first time in Shanghai. I met a colleague from Austria, we are working in the same company, but different countries. We decide to visit the Yu Garden, later the Pearl Tower. We arrived one day before, but we stay in different Hotels. Our meeting point was the Bund than we were walking to the Yu Garden together. In the mean time we were talking about the Nanjing Rd. and the many scammers how are offering watches, bags, massage or sex services on the next street or not far away from the Nanjing Rd. Also you can find a lot of reviews about this topic on the internet.

In the mean time we were in the Buddhist temple next to the Yu Garden. We were looking for the entrance to the gardens. In front of the exit door from the temples, two nice local young people are making a selfie picture. They ask us to make them a picture, then we walk away. I was thinking to ask them about the garden, because they speak very good English. Ok we went back to them, we start to talk, they explain us where in the entrance to the garden. They were nice, we start to talk, than they invite us to join them to drink a tea. First time we were sceptics with my colleague ,but I was thinking that we talk to much about the scamming things before.

So we went with them to “tea house”, we enter in a very small, but a nice room. There a Chinese young women present us the teas and the prices. Every tea was 48 RMB, nothing bad, we say yes than she starts to present the teas, the history of them and everything.

We were discussing a lot of topics, we were already chill . The tea was prepared in one bigger cup than split in small glasses. This is a traditional tea drinking, so we have to try more types. Ok no problem, our new friends are speaking very good English, they are explaining us many things about the Chinese culture, about the three teachings in China (Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism), about meaning of the numbers ex. the number 4 is a bad one, in some situations they don’t use them, like the car number or floor number. The girl was explaining me the meaning of the Chai (tea) symbol:
茶- it’s not a simple symbol, contains three meanings: green, man and wood;
all together mean: the man who go up in the tree to pick the tea leaves….or something like that

My attention was maximum because I was interested to learn more about this culture, to understand they life and t way of thinking. Yan, if this is here real name, was explaining me very good and = detailed. When she was talking about symbols, she draw them in my palm to be sure that I understand, she was full of positive energy. I like here, but it was not a sexual thing. I like them both. The guy was also very smart, he know many things about Europe and not only.

After 6 type of teas (this is the a lucky, good number) and more than 1 hour talk , we ask for the bill. The lady from tea house told us that we can choose one type of tea which we want to take like present. Than came the bill! Than I realized that we were scammed! The bill was 530 RMB/ each person. I get really mad, but we were two foreigners, in small tea house, in a smaller room….so we didn’t says anything, we pay the bill, the girl even ask me if I have 100RMB for here, but in the end the guy paid this for here.

It was the most expensive tea I ever had. Outside, after a short walk we go in separate directions.
They most probably went back to share the money, I will never know…
I was very upset, they were a big disappointment for me. Even if this money it’s o lot in the country from where I come, it was not about the money….all day I was thinking that everything was only a lie!

After a few days a realized that the elevator from the Hotel doesn’t have the 4th floor! :)
I start to search on the internet about the three teachings and other things about we talk during that one hour. There I find many good things for my personal life. I also ask other Chinese people about the Chai symbol meaning, it was true.

I was happy, because she didn’t lie me…so even if I loose some money, Yan teach me many new things and for o lifetime !

Even like this, for me it’s very hard to understand why two smart people are choosing this kind of life.
They could earn much more money, without scamming , doing what they know best
They could be good local tourist guides.

But, a scamming is a scamming, even if it’s a nice one.
People don’t like to be scammed, I don’t like it!
That’s the reason I sharing with everyone this story, even if I hope that they will change there life in a better way!