Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square
Ranked #136 of 5,138 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The hotel somehow tells a story, a story of the olden days. Simply love the design of it.

Great location to almost ALL the well-known attractions of Shanghai.

In the back alley of this property, most food stalls are open till late for supper. Wide selections to choose from.

Then of course, people are not very focus on customer service. So dont expect too much. Rooms are generally small (But hey, it's an old building afterall), but clean!

*It's still winter season when i went with my family, we didnt even need to on the a/c. Just had to leave the windows opened.

Will stay with them when i make a return trip one day (:

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

My first impression of this hotel was that it looked a bit dated. However, the rooms have been nicely renovated with modern touches; I liked it. The duvet was super comfortable and the mattress firm, like most other China hotels. The bedding was clean; no complaints there. I always had a good night's sleep.

The only thing preventing people in the room from seeing you in the shower are the blinds behind the big glass panel separating the room from the toilet. It's ok if you are staying alone or with people you don't mind accidentally seeing your "bits". Otherwise, keep those blinds tightly shut!

The odd thing about the minibar is that there was nothing in it. I'd have expected there to be at least a couple of bottles of water, but there wasn't. There were 2 (yes, TWO) teabags in the drawer. No instant coffee, creamer or even sugar. Bizarre. The teabags looked very lonely.

The buffet breakfast was average, not very much variety but enough for a business traveler who only wants a quick bite.

My one main gripe about this place is that you can only get wifi in the lobby. I couldn't get wifi from my bed, but I could if I stood behind my room door. Believe me, I felt a little ridiculous, but at least wifi was free.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank TravelingGlutton
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This hotel is located in the original YMCA of Shanghai, and the YMCA sign is still above the doors, which threw me off initially. It's nicely located across the road from the Music Theatre, and around the corner from Dashijie Metro stop.
The rooms were clean, but tiny. It was quiet in the hotel, which made it great for my 3 year old son. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and nice to my son, which doesn't always happens inn hotels.
I definately reccomend this hotel for families and travelers.

Room Tip: Dependiong on the size of your child, you may not need to get a roll away bed for your room. Our ro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We had mixed feelings about this hotel. But I think one thing that was clear that for about $80/night, it was a great deal--right on the park adjoining People's Square. We strolled easily over to the Shanghai Museum, walked to the main part of the Bund in 15 minutes easily, and could walk to parts of the French Concession in 15-20 minutes. There was also a subway stop (line 8, I believe) mere steps from the front door.

Check-in started off a bit rocky, despite the beautiful old lobby, as we were kept waiting for a while and were not offered water or anything, which we could have really used after a long journey. However, my impression of the front desk staff improved when they gave us a fantastic recommendation for a soup dumpling place. And once we got to our room, we were pretty pleased with it. It was not huge (we didn't have the smallest room category either), but it was well laid out. The bathroom was spacious and had a huge rain shower and full bathtub. The toiletries were all nice as well. There was a big closet with bathrobes and slippers, as well as a safe. We also had a lovely view onto a park--we had chosen that view, despite being told it could be noisy from the street. We did not find it too noisy at all, but we are used to living in noisy city apartments. I don't normally choose rooms for views, but this one was very pleasant.

A couple issues: the lack of wi-fi in the rooms is absurd. We actually could get the lobby's wi-fi in our room pretty reliably until the last day, when the signal seemed to just disappear. But it is silly in this day and age not to have the rooms set up for wi-fi. The TV that doubled as a computer was not an adequate substitution.

Lastly, there were some crumbs on the coffee table when we arrived. I brushed them onto the floor and later noticed they were never vacuumed up during our two-night stay. This gave me pause.

However, the room was very comfortable overall, and the location just can't be beat. I would consider staying there again just for the location--we didn't see much else in that area for such a good price.

Room Tip: If you can handle a little street noise, the views onto the park are lovely.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank katiekins570
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Stayed in the Marvel Hotel couple of nights in October 2011 during a leisure trip to China with my wife. This was the best hotel we encountered on this trip.

First, perfect location for leisure traveller, just around a corner from a subway station, nearly all major highlights of Shanghai are within walking distance!

Second, the interior of the hotel. The hotel is old YMCA building which has been beautifully renovated. The decorations in the lobby are really impressive. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable although a bit on a small side.

Third, the price. For hotel this good, we paid less than USD 100 per night.

The reception staff could definitely speak better English, however, that applies to China in general, so this is nothing to blame this hotel for.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple