“Real 5-Star Hotel in Shanghai”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #24 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Hamburg, Germany
“Real 5-Star Hotel in Shanghai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have been coming back to this hotel since 2003 and the service was always outstanding. The rooms in are in excellent condition and must have been continuously updated). The only drawback is that the bar on the top floor was closed and the lobby bar cannot make up for this. However, they have great food (try the Japanese place where thy offer a flat rate). The gym is excellent with everything you can imagine.
If you want to save some money, there are shops just around the corner. If you leave the Four Seasons and you turn to the left, you will find a newly developed alley with a lot of more Western-style restaurants, Starbucks etc. This is also where the metro station is. Just across the street at the Howard Johnson is another Starbucks in case you need this in the morning. About 100 meters down the street is a DVD shop where you typically get good quality and you do not have to negotiate like on the fake market.
One advise: they have a taxi card you should take with you so that you will always be able to get back without any problem.

2 Thank Klex
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments and feedback. A live band now plays smooth Jazz in the Lobby Lounge every evening. Looking forward to being of service and welcoming you again soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

No complaints, only kudos. Excellent service and friendliness. Good concierge service.

dunadry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Staed here again during a business trip and was again very impressed with the hotel. The staff are excellent. I got a very good rate through an online travel site so when I asked for an upgrade I didn't get one. Not a problem as I really didn't expect it. However when I got to my room I was concerned about noise from the construction work for the metro beneath my window. I asked to change rooms to the other side of the hotel and this was done quickly and efficiently AND they gave me my upgraded room.
The hotel is luxurious, rooms very comfortable and in particular the bathrooms very well presented. The only complaint, and this is a real problem across China, is the smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby and first floor seating area. I thought smoking was banned in hotels etc?
The highlight each time I stay is usually the breakfast which is sumptuous! superb range of foods to suit all tastes, all really well cooked and presented.
But this time the highlight was the hot poultice massage in the spa. Absolute bliss!! the therapist was excellent and the treatment suite the best I have ever come across.
Highly recommend this hotel and hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Whilst the construction work is on it might be best to request a room away from that area, though it...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for your valuable comments. The smoking policy in place at the Hotel complies with Shanghai government regulations, we do appreciate your feedback on this important issue and will continue to work with the relevant local authorities as the regulations evolve. A recent change is that all all our restaurants are now non-smoking. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and the Spa experience. Please also note for your next visit we are launching a new menu at Steak House for your dining pleasure. In addition a Yoga and Tai Chi program is also now available at the Spa. We look forward to being of service in the future.
East Coast USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

My colleague and I just spent two nights at the Four Seasons in Shanghai and had an excellent stay. The staff is efficient and accommodating and goes out of their way to make the experience as near perfect as possible. Our room was very large and we were upgraded when we arrived. We had a small issue with some wind blowing oddly around the windows but the staff changed our rooms promptly without any hesitation.
I have stayed at this hotel on 5 previous occasions and always am impressed by how clean and comfortable the rooms are. The breakfast buffet is also a standout ; even better than the one at the Peninsula (the other hotel I stay in on my trips to China).
There is one drawback and that is there is a large construction project currently underway next door. However, the staff went out of their way to be certain the guests are not inconvenienced by this. Even though we could see the construction we did not hear a thing, nor were we delayed or even bothered by the construction. Again, this is because the staff is fully aware of the potential problem related to the construction and are managing the customer experience to be certain that the standards of the hotel are maintained. They should be commended for their efforts because their attention to all details meant a smooth and pleasant experience for us.
Finally, we had a chance to have massages at the spa before we left. I highly , highly recommend the spa. Peaceful, clean and excellent services. I will definitely go again.
The location of the hotel is great too. Not far from Mao Ming road and a bock from Nanjing West road which both have great shopping and dining.
I highly recommend this hotel and will return again.

Room Tip: Hotel is only booking rooms on opposite side of construction zone so there is no worry about noise
1 Thank Manymiles2010
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. Our neighbourhood is one that is under transformation in this dynamic ever-changing city of Shanghai; we are pleased that you had an excellent stay. Please also note for your next visit that we have launched Yoga and Tai Chi classes to supplement the Hotel's excellent wellness facilities. We look forward to being of service and welcoming you again soon.
Saratoga, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have stayed here several time in the past three years. I has become one of my staple for my Shanghai visits. The location is great as I like to be near West Nanjing Road‎ and the trendy restaurants. As for the hotel the beds and rooms are kept in exceptional condition and the breakfast buffet is very good. It manages to balance American and local foods well. I only prefer local foods with the one exception of smoked salmon and yogurt. I am a runner and my standard out of this hotel is Peoples Square Park - early morning is great among the people doing Taijiquan - as they say "An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening," and "a year's plan starts with spring."

Room Tip: as usual higher floor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business