“Had hoped for more”

Ranked #24 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
San Francisco, California
“Had hoped for more”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I arrived on a warm December day. The lobby was surprisingly warm, smoky and humid which I didn't appreciate. I'm just not used to having to smell cigarettes any more living in the US. I'd just come from the US and stopped in to the Chinese restaurant off the lobby. It was tasty with impeccable service and few customers but the air was the same. I headed off to Beijing the next day but then returned for several more days of business. Fortunately the weather took a turn colder and the lobby was much more comfortable for the rest of my stay. I had breakfast in the lobby restaurant every day. Service was pretty good although refills on coffee could have been prompter. Food was plentiful and varied. The room was very attractive and unlike my other Chinese hotels it was at ground level and I enjoyed watching the street life as I ate breakfast. Location seemed decent and it was easy enough to get taxis. I did walk around the neighborhood several times and there is a nice mix of old and new China. The bedroom and bathroom were nicely appointed with the typical amenities you would expect from this level hotel. I did find that some of the public areas like the hallways outside my room were showing a bit of wear and tear. Not a lot but some. I didn't end up using the spa or gym. I had trouble VPNing into work for some reason. I haven't had that issue elsewhere. I did have internet access so not sure if it related somehow to hotel network or not. I've stayed at a couple other 5 star hotels on other visits and would visit them again before returning to this one especially with the lobby smoke although I'll still try Four Seasons elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bktw
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear bktw, thank you for your valuable comments. We naturally are concerned to read your feedback relating to restaurant air environment and service, and apologize for any inconveniences caused. We really appreciate your suggestion on smoking issue. It has got the management attention with action plan implementation. We will also convery your precious feedback to the manager of Cafe Studio. Please come back and see our improvement. Should you have any other questions and concerns, please contact us directly through pr.shg@fourseasons.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed 2 nights in a whirlwind trip to China. A 5-star hotel was our christmas treat to ourselves. Smooth checkin and once we were up in our room, we had a fabulous welcome pot of authentic chinese tea and snacks - which after our flight - was a welcome we thoroughly needed. A very comfortable and big room (love the pillow) with exceptional service.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us. We are honored to be part of your trip. Sincerely look forward to welcoming you back.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The hotel itself is beautiful and in a great location to walk to Westgate Mall, Nanjing Road or The People's Square, among many other Shangai landmarks.

As for dining, the Four Seasons Shanghai - seven days a week - breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets are unparalleled.

It's a shame that U.S. Four Seasons properties don't mimic this property at their lounges and cafes... (note to The Bristol Lounge in Boston, which has gone down hill, and ceased to offer a proper Sunday brunch, save for Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and Mother's Day.)

The concierge staff, (Clarke, among others); the Executive Lounge staff (Tiffany and Walter included); and entire staff at the hotel, from the top (GM Peter Weber) down, are worthy of their jobs and make each stay a pleasure beyond words.

Only complaint: the smell of cigarette smoke the room, whenever neighbors are smoking. (ick).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Thank you very much for your valuable comment! So glad that you enjoyed our concierge, executive club and F&B outlet. We sincerely look forward to your next visit in the near future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 December 2011

It has a convenient location, near the Nanjing West Road subway station, about 8 -10 minutes away and there are quite a number of shops and restaurants near subway . But beware that now next to the hotel is a very big construciton site. It looks that it would take at least 2 -3 years to complete.

Layout of lobyy is very good. But the lobby restaurant doesn't look very much match the hotel. Checked in at the club floor. The club has a very good view of the surrounding area. Staff at the club floor has very good standard of service, no doubt. Food, drinks and computer avaibale inside.

I stayed in a room with very much space, about 60 sqaure metres. The room has a very nice closet area, spacious and bright bathroom. Toilet, shower and bathtub are all separated. L'occitane amenities are available.

The room has a 2-seater and a 1-seater sofa, a TV set, a writing desk and mini-bar, and a plant, which is interesting to be placed next to the bed. I would say the room layout is not very well thought, though it provided everything you needed. For a Four Seasons, you expect more than the basic provisions, but style and taste. The bed is too soft, and seems used for a long time, the centre of the bed is so soft that you felt like sleeping in a depression. I had to move my body in midnight to the side to gain a firm part of the bed.

I also visited the indoor pool on 4/F in one morning, there was no other guest at the time. It has a 25M rectangular pool and a hot water jacuzzi. Towel, loung chairs, water, magazines, background music are available. Do make some exercise if you have time.

Breakfast provided a big variety of food, Shanghainese style for sure, western, and even Japanese. Food quality is generally good, but the coffee served is not hot, so I have to ask for a change, which I don't expect to happen in a Four Seasons. Other than that, the hotel is a good hotel, but one would expect more from a Four Seasons. Frankly, I feel more like I was in a good Le Meridien than in a Four Seasons.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank CLau888
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Stayed the last 3 days of a 2-week trip. Staff went above and beyond. Had a communication problem with a tailor and the concierge translated my concerns. The breakfast buffet was great too. Very welcoming. For two women traveling alone, we felt very safe here too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us. We are honored to be part of your trip.Sincerely look forward to welcoming you back.