Book In Advance

from US$ 62.00
More Info
from US$ 7.30
More Info
All reviews cozy town an italian restaurant bride bookstore stroll pace trees river
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Worth to visit! Very cozy place and the pace is so calm. Doesn’t fell you are in China or in Shanghai at all. There are small cafes and Italian restaurant that was very crowded.

Many wedding photo couples. Great to spend some hours here.

Reviewed 28 September 2018 via mobile

You can spend a day in Thames town. We went there with a group of friends who love to take photo. Many view nice for photo. However, many shop are closed. But still nice for picture. We are lucky to find some European food in town and its taste good.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Thames town is a quirky day out, but there needs to a full-on British style pub to really match the idyl!

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Recommended by a local friend to make the journey. Unfortunate wet weather restricted our visit time. Residential area, little to no taxi out. One way Taxi ride was RMB 175, for an hour from People Square, around 7.30am-8.30am. Business there only starts at 10am.

1  Thank Francesca L
Reviewed 8 May 2018

Perfect!!! I have been to Thames Town with my friends and my teachers. I think that is excellent, the Mock Tudor building and the three famous statues of William Shakespear, Florence Nighnteengale, and Winston Churchil! Thames Town is also good for taking wedding photos for engaged couples and are good for teenagers, family with kids, kids, and students.I really suggest whoever reads my review to go there, and might as well want to bring your kids(if you have one).I wish next time I can go back to Thames Town again with my family!

Reviewed 5 May 2018

It is a fascinating place! Good for engaged couples ,teenagers, students and kids. The Mock Tudor buildings and cobblestone streets are certainly inspiring. I have been there with my friends and we agreed to call this ''The Little Britain''.

1  Thank serenasj
Reviewed 4 May 2018

Perfect!!!A rather deserted peaceful town out of nowhere in Shanghai. The church ,moch tuders ,cafes ,bars ,and any kind of shops just looks romantic and nice for old people ,teenagers and children!!!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Recommended for those who‘ve lived in Shanghai for a while and would like to get away from the hustle and bustle.
If live in the West and just visit Shanghai, probably less interesting.
It’s a serene town with English flair, lovely to take a stroll on a nice spring day (autumn should be good too), have tea / coffee / a beer at a corner cafe under trees, and watch the passers-by. Most of them are Asian, many dressed a bit English, and the pace seems much slower than elsewhere.
Lots of brides and grooms taking pictures.
Beautiful bookstore - loved the shelves on walls, behind staircases, and under stairs and floor.

1  Thank lianchuan
Reviewed 6 March 2018

On the outskirts of Shanghai in Songjiang District
From the city (Huangpu area, near Xin Tian Di), about 1 - 1.5 hours by subway to Songjiang Xincheng (Line 9)
We then took a taxi from the Sonjiang Xincheng subway station, another 10 to 15 min journey

In part, I attribute our lack of interest and poor rating of this tourist destination due to the fact that we were there on a weekday, in winter.

When we asked our cab driver for recommendations, he laughed and said there's nothing much to see. We should have taken that as a big hint. Arrived around 12pm and almost all the shops were closed, it looked like a ghost town.

Save for the church at the front of the "town", church facade was pretty I do admit. Everything else was a disappointment. Quite a few locals there, not massive crowds - mainly to take photos and while the cobblestone streets give it a very English, European and ancient feel to it, I was completely disappointed otherwise. No doubt, the facade and architecture make for a good photo op, especially wedding photos I'd imagine but that was about it.

The interior of the church was a tad small with some painted glass windows, with a small worship area and panels that line the walls of the church, describing the history of Christianity I think (in Chinese characters). We tried to venture into the other parts of the church, only to find that they're used as storage areas.

Unfortunately, the vibe of the entire place was entirely lacking. Because almost all the shops and eateries were closed, there was no way to rate these establishments.

We left after 20 minutes after being told that most of the shops would not open on weekdays... We ended up back in Qibao Ancient Watertown instead which was on the same metro/subway line - and the place was so crowded, even on a weekday :)

If you insist of visiting Thames Town, perhaps you'll have better luck on a weekend. We were told the shops would be open then... Good luck!

Adeline Lee
Traveller with 1 guest
December 2017

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

The churches, coffee shops, Victorian houses, terraces, gallery or all kinds of special shops are really nice!

1  Thank 0323Panda