“Looooooong Trip Out to Another Great Shanghai Museum”

China Maritime Museum
Ranked #145 of 1,356 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 9 April 2017

Oh how I wish I had visited on a beautiful blue sky kinda day - but it was blustery and cool and overcast and I totally missed the water view of the building. Nonetheless despite the loss of pictures of the architecture of this building against a blue sky it is the inside exhibits worth the visit. The actual Chinese junk set right in the middle of the museum is a highlight of course - the carved wooden deck is a thing of beauty - but the whole place is full of good displays of all kinds of Chinese boats and shipping and maritime history in general. Plenty of English information including a very nice museum brochure. Lots to keep my 5 year old engaged and entertained. We arrived a little after 2 pm on a Saturday and there was already a sense of ushering people to leave before 4. We stayed the night at the Crowne Plaza hotel nearby (designed by the same architectural firm as the famous Burj al Arab hotel in Dubai), which was a good choice for us as it took about 2 hours from the center of old Shanghai (Portman Ritz Carlton) one way.

All reviews
"china"
in 5 reviews
"station"

Reviewed 31 August 2016

The China Maritime Museum at Dishui Lake is very cool; Excellent actually. There are many exhibitions ranging from ancient relics to modern containerships. There are many, many scale models of ships to enjoy and there also is a full scale replica of a Ming Dynasty merchant junk boat which you can walk on the deck.

You can stroll around just looking or get an audio guided tour which lasts about 2-hours. English descriptions are all about and well done.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

The Maritime Museum is really GOOD
- range of exhibitions... do not miss the temporary gallery it had nice stuff when I was there today - including Children's Space / Playground and many interactive stations throughout the museum
- FREE boat rides outside by Waterfront Promenade but it gets busy!
- excellent Chinese and English info... except for some computers
- good cheap food at the restaurant
- good (indoor) open space to eat your DYI food
- rates: 60 rmb for adults, 25 for kids, free for toddlers (under a certain height )

Entrance fees:
- 50 RMB for one entry for adults - fine but actually 160 rmb is there good value for year membership!
- ask about membership... if they say 'no' - get them to check / bring forward a English speaker... I asked re membership = they did not understand; I then paid entry; then tried to include my ticket in membership when I found out 'yes' they have it (!!) and misunderstood me; they only relented because I did not back down!
- think there was a baby change

Realities:
- films (2 theaters I think) are expensive and sell out; all in Chinese (normal for China)
- staff have limited English but stye wiling / happy to help you!
- not the easiest of museum layouts ... the 'guide' I found hard to follow but the signage is good and in both Chinese and English!
- keep asking if you cannot find something.. it might have been moved and some of the images in the guide a bit unreal / PR
- travel: We live in Pudong BUT the museum is RGHT at the end of Line 16, LAKE DISHUI, then a taxi or bus 1043 .... a LONG trip. Bring water and some snacks for the journey!

All round a GREAT museum - HIGHLY RECOMMEND yes for all

Reviewed 18 July 2016

It's rather far away from Shanghai city, but worthwhile. Everything is well presented, and it was not too busy when I visited, but in weekends and holidays it may be very busy, which is true for all attractions in China. I spent +2 hours in the museum, which is quite big. Unfortunately, when I was about to see the part that interests me most (early history, Zheng He's expeditions) it was already 16:00 and to my surprise, closing time. I would have liked to see some good books or other information in English language at the museum shop, which mainly supplies gifts.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 June 2016

I've decided to go there using the subway - the fastest way to get there from downtown, It took me about an hour traveling from East Nanjing Rd to the last station of the subway. I've walked from the subway station to the museum. You can take a bus(fee just 2 RMB), but I've decided to walk. It was May 1st long weekend, so there was a lot of streets closings in this area, making traveling more complicated. It took me about half hour to get to the museum by foot.
There is a lot of interesting things at the museum, especially very old displays, weapons and elements of the old ships. There is also modern part of displays showing actual ships.
There is very chip buffet at the museum, so you can eat there too. The food was good for me.
I recommend this place.
I've experienced problem with communication in English.

RomanP