Review Highlights
Impressive exhibition...

...at a remote location. Not recommended for tourists staying only some days in Shanghai. But for... read more

Reviewed 1 April 2018
Weisteff
Fuerth, Germany
via mobile
Amazing Place

I rated this place a 5 because there is so much to see that everyone should have a great experience... read more

Reviewed 25 March 2018

from US$ 85.00
from US$ 52.99
from US$ 61.54
More Info
All reviews chinese junk the crowne plaza hotel beautiful lake simulator engine ships navigating china station
Reviewed 31 August 2016

The China Maritime Museum at Dishui Lake is very cool; Excellent actually. There are many exhibitions ranging from ancient relics to modern containerships. There are many, many scale models of ships to enjoy and there also is a full scale replica of a Ming Dynasty merchant junk boat which you can walk on the deck.

You can stroll around just looking or get an audio guided tour which lasts about 2-hours. English descriptions are all about and well done.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

The Maritime Museum is really GOOD
- range of exhibitions... do not miss the temporary gallery it had nice stuff when I was there today - including Children's Space / Playground and many interactive stations throughout the museum
- FREE boat rides outside by Waterfront Promenade but it gets busy!
- excellent Chinese and English info... except for some computers
- good cheap food at the restaurant
- good (indoor) open space to eat your DYI food
- rates: 60 rmb for adults, 25 for kids, free for toddlers (under a certain height )

Entrance fees:
- 50 RMB for one entry for adults - fine but actually 160 rmb is there good value for year membership!
- ask about membership... if they say 'no' - get them to check / bring forward a English speaker... I asked re membership = they did not understand; I then paid entry; then tried to include my ticket in membership when I found out 'yes' they have it (!!) and misunderstood me; they only relented because I did not back down!
- think there was a baby change

Realities:
- films (2 theaters I think) are expensive and sell out; all in Chinese (normal for China)
- staff have limited English but stye wiling / happy to help you!
- not the easiest of museum layouts ... the 'guide' I found hard to follow but the signage is good and in both Chinese and English!
- keep asking if you cannot find something.. it might have been moved and some of the images in the guide a bit unreal / PR
- travel: We live in Pudong BUT the museum is RGHT at the end of Line 16, LAKE DISHUI, then a taxi or bus 1043 .... a LONG trip. Bring water and some snacks for the journey!

All round a GREAT museum - HIGHLY RECOMMEND yes for all

Reviewed 18 July 2016

It's rather far away from Shanghai city, but worthwhile. Everything is well presented, and it was not too busy when I visited, but in weekends and holidays it may be very busy, which is true for all attractions in China. I spent +2 hours in the museum, which is quite big. Unfortunately, when I was about to see the part that interests me most (early history, Zheng He's expeditions) it was already 16:00 and to my surprise, closing time. I would have liked to see some good books or other information in English language at the museum shop, which mainly supplies gifts.

Reviewed 1 June 2016

I've decided to go there using the subway - the fastest way to get there from downtown, It took me about an hour traveling from East Nanjing Rd to the last station of the subway. I've walked from the subway station to the museum. You can take a bus(fee just 2 RMB), but I've decided to walk. It was May 1st long weekend, so there was a lot of streets closings in this area, making traveling more complicated. It took me about half hour to get to the museum by foot.
There is a lot of interesting things at the museum, especially very old displays, weapons and elements of the old ships. There is also modern part of displays showing actual ships.
There is very chip buffet at the museum, so you can eat there too. The food was good for me.
I recommend this place.
I've experienced problem with communication in English.

RomanP

Reviewed 5 October 2015

The China Maritime Museum is about one hour away from Shanghai's city center, in the south of Pudong, about a 20-30 min walk from the end of metro line 16 (Dishui Lake).
We combined our tour to the beautiful lake with a visit to this museum. On two main floors you can get a great overview on the history and modern maritime life in China. Lots about the history of navigation, a huge amount of various ship models, an insight of a container harbour and more. They also show movies in a 4D theater. The center of it all is a Chinese junk that was built especially for the museum.

We spent nearly 2 hours here and the kids (age 8 and 9) had fun.