“This restaurant saved our marriage!”
Review of Shook!

Shook!
Ranked #149 of 17,009 Restaurants in Shanghai
Price range: US$ 67 - US$ 82
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Bund
Shenyang, China
“This restaurant saved our marriage!”
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

Well, that may be a stretch but it did save our anniversary. We were trying very hard to find a good place to celebrate and having a lot of trouble. Eventually we resorted to our hotel restaurant and they wanted to charge us almost $100 for a lobster (most of the food on the menu they didn't even have). I was ready to give up and eat KFC but then I remembered reading about Shook! on TripAdvisor. I had our concierge call to make sure we could get a table and we headed out in a taxi. It was the best decision we could have made. After living in China for a year I have realized that finding good service in a restaurant is a rarity. Shook! is definitely the exception. Even if the food had been lousy, the excellent staff would have made up for it. Luckily the food was as great as the well-trained servers. The beef, chicken and fried rice were fantastic as was the flourless chocolate cake for dessert. And the price - not outrageous in my opinion. It would be nothing for us to spend the same amount in a Canadian or US restaurant for food of lesser quality. Our experience at Shook!, from the atmosphere to the service and quality of food, will definitely be the highlight of our anniversary trip to Shanghai.

1 Thank jand872
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Frederiksberg, Denmark
“Staff made up for a very slight imperfection”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Based on the many good reviews I wanted to give this place a chance. I was attracted by the fact that it appears you can get really good cocktails, thai food, steaks, enjoy great views all the while you are treated well by attentive staff - all this turned out to be true.

A few comments:

Some of the main dishes are very expensive - for instance you can get steaks that cost + 150 USD, but it was ok with me because they also had much cheaper steak servings (at 1/3 that price) that turned out to be excellent and super tender (from Australia).

Besides steak we had a type of fried cod that did not sound all that fancy in the menu but was surprisingly rich in taste (which is not what you would expect from cod).

Tip: Dont forget to visit the sixth floor outdoor bar with great views over the Bund. During our visit it was closed but we were never the less escorted to the bar area by a friendly staff member and enjoyed the views before returning to a well made creme brule and a strong good espresso.

Tip 2: Book table online and choose a window table to ensure great views.

Tip 3: In the corner of the huge outdoor bar area I saw a little private tower room that was occupied by four guests. Worth considering.

The very slight imperfection: The steak was (on the menu) served with home made fries. They did not really appear home made and I have had better - the rest of the meal and the experience was however really good and because of the very good staff I give Shook my recommendation.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Under_many_stars
Istanbul, Turkey
“Great food”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Good food and great service, but could not understand why the place was half emptly on a saturday night.

We chose the chef's delight from the menu, and let the staff enterntain us with their tasting menu,

After eating with chopstix (which is second nature to me) for 5 days and 10 meals in row, seing cuttlery on the table was, comforting. I actually asked myself, what could I be eating here with knives and forks. Putting that aside.

The food lived up to all of the poitive reviews that is written.

If you want to take one step back from traditional chinese dining, during your stay in Shanhai. Shook is the place that I will reccomend

• Visited April 2012
australia
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Booked here on the TA reviews and we were not disappointed. We had a great table with views and the food was superb. We had the chateaubriand.. supposedly Australian beef, but it was better than any beef I have had for a looong time!! Why is it our best seems to go to export?
All the courses were devine and Shook is on our short list of all time memorable meals, for food, view and atmosphere.
The only small criticism was that the attitude of the server seemed a little 'short'

Visited April 2012
“Very cool restaurant”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Great fusion style restaurant. I wasn't feeling Chinese this night so this was a nice alternative as it was a mix of different cuisines. We chose the set menu which was incredible. Very fashionable restaurant. Dress well. Highly recommended. Great Job!