Shanghai Duolun Road Cultural Celebrities Street

from US$ 58.00
More Info
from US$ 530.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 June 2016

Stumbled across these streets after meandering through North Shanghai. We loved the tiny curiosity shops (you must check out 1933) and watching the residents chat and play in the afternoon sunshine. Our children appreciated the space and lack of traffic to play in the streets. Had a pricey espresso at Old Film Cafe but the toilets were clean and it was a lovely spot to sit out the front and soak up the scene. Only wish I knew more about the famous writers before I had gone so I recommend that you read up before you visit.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

I was going to visit Lu Xun Park (鲁迅公园) in Hongkou (虹口), and I went through Cultural Celebrities Street, as it is located between Hailun Road Station (海伦路站) and Lu Xun Park.

This street has many interesting Western buildings, and full of understated antique stores. As a reviewer commented, it was a pleasant surprise for me to find a Protestant Church with a very unique architecture, too.

On this Saturday in May, there were a lot of couples all dressed up for a wedding, I assume, to be photographed professionally on this street.

It was not too crowded here, and I liked walking around slowly, checking each building, some antique stores and a gallery.

Reviewed 16 November 2014

Although not unpleasant, I think there are many more authentic places to take a stroll in Shanghai that are also a lot closer to the typical tourist path. A highlight, however, was the Christian Church which was built with buddhist temple details in the architecture. This made it worth it for me--so unique and beautiful. There are friendly volunteers inside ready to speak to visitors (an English speaker was also available) so if you go, pop in for a visit, they will be glad to receive you warmly!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My review: Location - Duolun Road. Getting there, take Subway line # 3, metro station Dongbaoxing Rd. Walk for 10-15 minutes from subway station to Duolun Road (on your left side).
This is a renovated quarter of 2-3 streets which used to be the area were famous poets, writers and generals (affiliated with Shan-Kai-Shek?) lived. It has lots of lovely homes and sculptures of the famous poets and writers that lived here (I didn’t see a single sculpture of a general…). It also has some lovely antique shop and a few upscale but lovely coffee shops. The Shanghai Duolun Museum of Modern Art located there (at No 27 Duolun Rd) was closed when we were there. It seemed that they were preparing for a new exhibit. Though definitely remodeled and renovated, it doesn’t have a sterile feel to it and it was very pleasant and interesting to walk there.

1  Thank ererap
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Duolun Lu is an almost complete restored street from the 1920-30 era. It is (almost) car free and I would guess, about 1/2 mile long. With all the nice buildings, nice small shops and cafes it is a gem in Shanghai. It is still somewhat undiscovered and thus quite and you do not see too many tourists. And if you are there do also take a stroll through the direct neighborhood which gives you an impression how the locals live today. Get there via Hongkou Stadium and take a stroll through Lu Xun park