“Hardware exceeds expectations, software depends of moods”

Wyndham Bund East Shanghai
Ranked #145 of 5,147 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I usually stayed right at downtown but this time around, tried something new and more reasonably priced. It isn't looked far from the map but it was located in a less popular, 'twilight' area of the town, right next to a torn down hospital for the aged. The hotel itself is nice, and according to staff they mostly cater to tour groups. Nevertheless, my biggest fusses were at the cafe and check out. The cafe was sizeable, selection was average, but tastes were awful. Staff mood was like the changing weather: The lady egg chef was under-stressed, and would show me a face like "Can't you see I'm busy"? I asked the waiter for a teaspoon for my coffee. I know the poor guy was confused, he came back 15 minutes later to give me a big white Chinese soup spoon. On the next day, however, I ordered a non-spicy beef noodle, the waiter ran around 3 times and just made sure I got what I wanted. In regards to check out, the iron-lady cashier told me I had 3 plastics key cards and had only returned 2 and should be liable for penalty. Her manager has no authority and had to call around all the big shots to waive a USD 5 fee. I never heard hotel charge for key cards, they would be either too rigid, or the iron lady Rhea likes me too much and wants to play around with me a bit. Anyway, after 20 mins of calling around they let me go. But in the process their printer was down and cannot give me an official receipt and they made a decision to offer up my reserved taxi to someone else, so that I had to waited for another 25 minutes for the next cab. So I missed my flight. Shall I claim the iron lady?

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that are facing the Yangpu River Bridge - nice view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mctdog
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed 4 nights at this new hotel. The area is very residential and interesting to see people going about their daily life. Real Shanghai I suppose. You need to take a taxi everywhere which is fine - usually within 30 mins and RMB40 you are at your destination.

Efficient check in. Wonderful spacious deluxe rooms with fab bathroom, well equipped and standalone bathtub made my stay special. Western style buffet cafe/restaurant is massive and food can be better. Dont ask for cocktails in the lobby bar, even though at least 3 pages of cocktails in the bar drinks menu - they simply cannot make them. I suggest only bottled beer as draught was stale and sour. Must be because only local travellers stay in this hotel so the consumption of water and tea is high while alcoholic beverages probably dont move at all.

Concierge could be better too and welcome at the gates of the hotel - could be much better, no help with luggage or the doors.

But overall, for the mere fact that the hotel is good value and have great rooms, and I forgot to say indoor pool, and a spa, it is all worth it and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a free upgrade and there is free wifi in the lobby
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ania8888
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This is a very comfortable hotel . I stayed there for two nights in March 2012. Bed is comfy, bathroom is amazing, rain shower, TV at the bathtub. Separate room for toilet and shower. this hotel has the standard of an international 5 star hotel. Breakfast is great. Lots of varieties of food and the restaurant is very spacious.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ShanTy W
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed two nights at the Wyndham Bund East. As many reviews have stated, the hotel itself is nice, staff if middling to fair (their English was not very good and their manners could use some help), location pretty much stank. We walked from the Subway back to the hotel. It was a good 30 minute walk (at a good clip) through some fairly shady areas (esp at night). Room itself was nice, but never could seem to get cool (seemed stuffy).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank screwie88
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our door opened into a hallway that led to a bay window then turned into a hallway leading to a luxurious bathroom with rain shower and separate tub with a flat-screen TV on the wall and beyond to a spacious corner room with a king size bed. From our corner room on the 20th floor, we had excellent views of the bustle of Shanghai citizens' home and business lives, yet were fully removed from the noise. From the slippers and robes in the auto-lighted closet to the extensive Western and Chinese buffet breakfast, we felt spoiled. There was not a hint of stale cigarette smoke in the room, as we found in other Chinese hotels, although people did smoke in the lobby. Elevators were silent. Staff were welcoming and efficient. English minimally spoken at the front desk. This hotel is not situated right downtown, but close enough to get there without a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, either at the front for a view of the Huangpu River or at the back for a look...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple