“Great hotel, great staff, great stay!”

Pullman Shanghai Jing An
Ranked #61 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hotel, great staff, great stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

The hotel lobby was very large, mainly because of the bar area as there were very little lounge area around the front lobby. Check-in was quick and service was exceptional.

We booked the executive suite and it was well worth the money spent! Our room was huge, our bathroom was huge, everything was huge about this room including a large LCD TV mounted onto the wall (no HDMI/AV connectivity visible in case you were planning to plug things in). The room was very clean and plenty of bathroom amenities provided.

No WIFI however wired internet is not free, it is available though but charged at 80YUAN per 24 hour block, charged directly to your room. When you connect, the webpage pops up asking if you agree with the terms and works straight away after you hit agree. The executive suite lobby lounge is located on the 27th floor, as we were on the 21st floor we had a very feint connection to the upstairs internet but connection was decent enough for us to use the internet without any issues. My advice is, if you want free wifi, ask for a room on level 21+ to hop onto their free WIFI from the 27th floor. Free wifi is also available in the down stairs lobby so if you have a fairly low room you should be able to connect.

Around the block for this hotel (small block), there is McDonalds, KFC, a few local branded Asian fast foods including convenience stores and family mart! So you don't have to walk very far if your after a quick bite or if you need to stock up on water etc at the convenience store. Outside the right exit of the hotel is the underpass to the Shanghai Railway Station so overall it is very centrally located. From the HongQiao airport to the hotel cost us about 70YUAN (30 minutes ride), we left via Pudong airport though, which was about 45KM and cost us about 190 YUAN (taxis surcharge is about 50% if you exceed 10-15km range).

At night if your a male and alone, I don't recommend walking around the block, PIMPS start hanging around from about 10PM+ and they actually follow you and try to persuade you to take a look at their girls. They actually followed me about 2 blocks until they gave up.

Overall, great stay! Loved the room, loved the staff and would recommend, but I hope the hotel does something about the noise, we were on level 21 facing out to Shanghai Railway Station and at night we can clearly hear the cars honking and some guy on the mega phone yelling something in Mandarin all night long. At times it was very hard to fall asleep.

P.S: Our house keeper on the 21st floor was very funny, we had a monkey plushie and each time we returned to our room, she posed him in a different pose on our pillow/bed, so cute! Made our day each time :)

Room Tip: If you can, try get a room facing to the other side, our room faced towards ShanghaI Railway Station...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sang M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
paris
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

a simple nice hotel, very close to the train station, and metro station.. this is the main interest of the hotel to be close the public transportation.
then, nothing to add.
the view even from the 26th floor, was not really amazing.. nothing to see
we went to the international restaurant on the 5th floor. when we enter, the guy at the entrance almost force us to take the buffet instaed of "a la carte". the buffet was common.. nothing really good, and as we arrived late, the buffet was half full or half empty as you want...
the second night we took a la carte, but is was also common...
i can recommend you this hotel as it was well located in Shanghai...
the price is a bit expensif..
one good point..we were supposed to be charged for internet of 80RMB/day, but when we checked out, it was not included in the bill...
by the way, if you arrive from the train and plan to go in this hotel.., you have to take the South exit.. and not the North!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I checked out of the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya and there was a charge on the bill which I did not authorize. It related to an issue I had at the restaurant. A manager said it would be looked after and I wouldn't be charged. I had ate a meal at the restaurant that was not cooked properly and I was sick from it.

When I checked out the restaurant charge was still there and then another manager erased it from my bill so I paid and signed for the room charge.

However, I'm reviewing my credit card statement, and see two charges from the hotel. One is the room charge, the other charge is the restaurant. I didn't authorize the restaurant charge and the staff said I wasn't going to be charged.

After getting sick from a meal not cooked properly, charging me for a meal is beyond ridiculous and terrible customer service. I've never experienced this with hotels at home in Canada or around the World.

I E-Mailed the address on website H7598-RM@accor.com

It has been about a week with no response. I was hoping for this issue to be resolved, but it appears it has not.

Be aware of this hotel and charges appearing on your bill you did not sign for or authorize. The managers I dealt with said it would be looked after and it obviously wasn't. Next time I'm in Shanghai my business is going to the Hilton. They listen to the customer if there is ever an issue.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank richardausten_yvr
Thibaud G, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear richardausten_yvr

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for our service shortfall and for replying you late.

At Grand Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Further a thorough investigation, it appears that we have posted wrongly the food and beverage charges, enclosed you will find the copy of the related bills with your signature. Once again I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by our lack of communication, the entire management have been made aware of this issue, and will ensure that this wrong posting remain an isolated case. On the meantime our finance department will ensure that the food and beverage charges are waved, which should happen within a short period f time.

I remain at your entire disposal may you need any further informations

Thibaud Geffroy
Director of Operation
Kashmir
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is a nice, neat and modern hotel.
Well located and comfortable.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
However, it is expensive for the fare provided and doesn't quite spell "value for money".
The walls in the rooms are on the thinner side so anyone talking loudly in the next room might as well have been doing so in yours', which can be really irritating.
However when that happened, I was upgraded to a better room on another floor.
So, I'm not complaining :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thibaud G, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear ray1tracer

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thibaud Geffroy