“Nice hotel with good views”

Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #32 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Hotel Indigo is a new(2011) hotel in the south Bund area in Puxi.

Location:
Right next to the Bund, but in the south part.
It is away from most tourist attractions and nowhere close to a subway station.
Usually there are taxis outside the hotel if you need to use one.

Room:
Room decor is very nice and very well done.
Old Shanghai style with wall mural of old Shanghai.
Some rooms have a nice view of the Bund but those cost more.
Asked for a Bund facing room but had to pay a lot extra so I declined.
The room I was in, faced south, looking at the road but it still had a bit of the river view.
Bathroom was nice with a different section for the toilet and the shower.
Good high end amenities in the room.
They also provided a small complimentary alcohol drink in the room which was a very nice touch.
Rooms are quiet.

Overall:
It is worth staying if you get a room that fully faces the Bund or upgrade to it.
The location is not very convenient though.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the Bund/river.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Service was great! From the doorman to the reception staff to the service crew at the cafe, they all made you feel welcomed at the hotel. The decor, befitting the hotel's location (along the bund with rich architectural styles), is amazing and stunning. Especially loved the fun furniture against a green, living backdrop of plants in the lobby! Also loved the idea of the library, the beautiful chess set on the coffee table and the DVD station! The hotel has definitely spared no efforts in making it a beautiful boutique hotel.
My little gripe about the hotel- my toilet bowl cover was stained with unidentified yellowish fluid when i entered the room. Something seemed to be leaking in the toilet as there was always a little puddle of water in the middle of the toilet the 2 days i was there. Lights in the walk-in wardrobe are motion-triggered. That had me staring into a dark wardrobe at night as the bed faces the wardrobe and the wardrobe curtain could not fully conceal the wardrobe entrance. That freaked me out alot as i was staying alone in the hotel. The TV was also at an unfriendly angle- perpendicular to the bed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Hi june0806,

Thank you so much for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed Hotel Indigo.

I have looked immediately into your feedback regarding some liquid dripping in your bathroom.
Its seems that there was some plumbing sealant that when heated had melted...... this has been immediately rectified and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.

See you next time in Shanghai and very best from the Indigo team

Bruce

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Indigo has the friendliest and most helpful staff. They all made an extra effort to be helpful and especially Sara at the Business Centre who even gave us a personal morning wake up call so that we could catch our train to Beijing (which she so helpfully booked for us). You need a place like this in China (or any place where you don't speak the language for that matter) that has the charm and warmth of a B&B but the luxury of a hotel.
And yes the rooms are beautifully designed, great photo op ;-) The 'old town' and the Huang Po river cruise is walking distance from the hotel and enough to keep you occupied for 2 evenings.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jofree-Shimray
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed in Waldorf Astoria in August 2011. It was the most unforgettable stay ever. We were completely fascinated by the dedication and elegance, by the perfect combination of legacy and modernity, and by the service there. Waldorf Astoria is a hotel with style. I said so is because my first visit to W&A was to attend a gala dinner here. It was in someday in June, and it rained heavily that day. The moment I was trying to walked into the hotel from the gate of the old wing, I felt a moment of hesitation, because I was wearing a long evening gown and on really high heels. It was raining so heavily that my long gown got all wet but there was a few marble stairs to go down in front of me. For a girl on high heels in a rainy day, the stairs without railings was just like a steep mountain to go down. The concierge colleagues were welcoming the guests at the door. On one hand I was curious whether they would notice my problem and lent me a hand since there were really a lot of guests there that day, on the other hand, I figured it would be a bit awkward if they really stretched out our hand. Then I would have to lifted my dress, hold my purse and hold their hands at the same time. Out my expectation, a concierge colleagues just lent me the crook of his arm with the most gentleman gesture. All my worries were gone in a minute. This might sound like a tiny little thing, but it really helped me up. So I made up my mind, I would definitely come back again. So here we were. This time we stayed in the new building, and the room was really fancy. The welcoming chocolate was a sweet memory. The grey and white marbled bathroom gave a thorough relaxation after a tiring day and waked you up. The breakfast was probably the best I’ve tasted ever. And I’d love to struggle myself up for it every morning no matter how late I stayed up the night before, haha. Spending a lovely teatime here is more than enjoyable. I believe, have a drink here will be splendid as well. According to a well-noted magazine’s coverage, the hotel is more than willingly to serve you with another snack for free even if you only ordered a glass of water. And, of course, the snack is really something. I always believe that excellent details make a perfect hotel. Waldorf Astoria is a place that never lets you down. P.S.: If you are old-fashioned, or interested in history, I highly recommend you stay in the old wing. It might cost you more, but you find it totally worth it. The hotel itself is a living legacy.

Indigo On the Bund

Every June, I go to Shanghai for business, and Every time I stay in Indigo On the Bund. If you want to a luxurious hotel, Indigo may not be your first choice. But if you want a unique one, you must stay here. Indigo integrates the west and the east, the old shanghai and the modernity. It feels like in a time machine travelling back to the old shanghai in 1930s in the guest room, but the public space and social life here is definitely in the most frontier of today. I enjoy the view from the room, the bathtub facing the Yangzi river, the old-Shanghai decoration, the delicious breakfast (In the Quay, they serve cool dishes, and you can choose from the hot sets, like Japanese style, Shanghai style, American …), the convenience of in-the-state-of-art technology (such as the Bose iPod player in the room, the fast wi-fi connection for free, the iPad at the front desk…), and the art pieces exhibitioning in the lobby. The staffs are really speedy and helpful. But I have to say, the bed here is always hard for me and the pillows are too high so I never really used them. The cloak room’s sense-switching lamp is not that convenient. Sometimes it just all blacked out because the switch didn’t sense me, and it was somehow pretty scary at night. I never felt strong enough to squeeze the shampoo or conditioner out of bottle. Despite of these, Indigo is still a lovely hotel to stay with, no matter you are a traveler from abroad who wants a peak of the old Shanghai, or interested in nightlife and bars, because the bund and the bars in walking distance, and the modern shanghai in right outside your window.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Nice Hotel in the bund, the price around the 250$, good rooms But Just a little small, beautiful views, no very luxury But so confortable

• Stayed: July 2012