1,126 results
All reviews nanjing road excellent location people's square star hotel separate toilet walking distance pedestrian mall minute walk breakfast buffet concierge staff spent nights people's park rooms are spacious metro station wonderful hotel executive floor pudong airport
Reviewed 29 October 2018

Comfy, fairly spacious room, nice bathroom, decent sized bath, shower pressure could be better (but that can be hard for a hotel to control). Bed was comfy and there is a pillow menu.
Pool area was quite nice although indoor and quite plain - an exercise pool rather than a lounging about pool. Lobby is likewise pleasant.
We had no problems with the wifi, and didn't need a local phone number to access it, like some recent reviewers have said. We just got straight on.
We didn't ask anything too onerous or difficult of the staff but what interactions we did have with them were all pleasant and easy.
My only disappointment was that our room faced the internal atrium/void, so no views of the city from our room windows. We were told there was no rooms with views available.
Location is really good. Super close to metro, and a fairly short walk to the Bund. We also found several great restaurants nearby (different styles and price points).

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel and they were fully booked. Was upgraded to a complimentary junior suite. Very spacious and a proper desk. Great business facilities and location for business meetings. WiFi however is not very stable and that’s the only downside

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

I was struggling to choose between two hotels. I made the wrong choice. The lobby looks luxury but the rooms Are a bit run down. Really The worst 5 stars experience for me, Thank you Jack you spoiled my holiday. Please read my conformation I booked Deluxe queen bed, but you gave us " twin beds", twin beds in this hotel are slightly bigger than single bed. We were in our honeymoon and slept on two single beds...Worst you argued with us, no smile: " in our hotel queen bed means twin bed". You were waiting for our response whether we still want to stay , if I could regret I will never book your hotel. We complaint to customer service , we have been told " there are only King or twin beds in this hotel." Please everyone check their official website, then another answer : "they received twin beds confirmation which deferent from us." Dear Agoda, how could this happened ?!

I forgot my mobile in London's home, I use my husband's phone. took a few photos, I cannot display here. The rooms are not as great as the lobby, 3.5 star ? They gave us room 904, the view was bad. I think hotels right next to the bund would be better choice. Hotels choice are so important for your holiday, good luck !

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Hotel is right behind the Nanjing shopping street, plenty of shops, restaurants, and only 2 mins from MRT exit. I believe it has recently been renovated, our room is very spacious and nicely serviced.
Breakfast is slightly towards the expensive side for what it is, but it has a decent ‘western’ varieties.
All in all great experience and would definitely consider staying again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2018

I'm pretty much appalled by the behavior of the staff of this hotel. When you walk in you feel like this could be a nice place - maybe a 4 star hotel. The manager even laughed at me (RUDE!) and suggested it was a 5 star hotel, which it isn't even close to.

First of all, the only staff here who are helpful or even polite are the concierges. The front desk staff including the manager, the restaurant staff, the lobby lounge staff, the lobby buffet staff are all incredibly rude and condescending, but quite clearly only to westerners. I see plenty of locals come and go and be treated in a completely different manner. Every time I see them dealing with a non-local they are dismissive or outright rude.

LOUNGE
I had to go myself to the bar and ask to be served. After that it was half an hour before my one beer was opened and delivered. It only goes downhill from there.

LUNCH
The hostess at the in house restaurant literally made a exaggerated sigh when I asked her for a table, and then she put me at a table next to the kitchen facing the wall when there were plenty of other decent tables and no reason to choose to force me to face the corner of the room. During my lunch meal the bad service continued. I was not offered tea, which of course is compulsry with any meal, expecially an expensive one. I had to ask for tea near the end of my meal. I was also not offered the AYCE which is heavily advertised as having 50+ Dim Sum items for 158 Yuan. I tried to ask for it but was given a la carte menu instead. I did not see any Dim Sum carts rolling around so I figured it was my mistake, only to find out later from the hotel manager that they in fact refused to let me have it. For those of you who don't know, or if the exchange rate changes, about 6 Yuan to 1 USD so $26USD for AYCE versus about $55 that I ended up paying for what I would consider a light lunch. This is what we call "Bait and Switch."

DINNER
There is a buffet area in the lobby lounge area, and I had seen both the breakfast and the dinner crowds the day before, so I assumed it would be good. I went to the host podium (there are 2 - one near the front and one near the front deak check in area). I asked if there was availability and the guy took down my room number and said come back at 16:30. When 16:30 rolled around and I asked about my reservation, they said I did not have a reservation and the buffet was booked solid. This completely ruined my night. I had plenty of opportunity to go elsewhere, but I naturally believed them when they said I had a reservation. Also I had a problem with foot pain and I did not want to go wandering that day which added insult to injury, (literally) because this is exactly why you stay in an expensive hotel - you don't have to leave if you feel like staying in for one night. I ended up going hungry rather than make my foot pain any worse. This is unbelievable circumstance in an expensive hotel. I even asked to make a reservation for the following day but they could not do that.

HOUSEKEEPING
Housekeeping seems ok. A bit strange why some days they leave like 6 extra bottles of water. Also the laundry prices are astronomical! $5USD for one pair of socks. $15 for a tshirt.

MANAGER
The manager is a complete tool. He is one of those people who just shruggs their shoulders and says "would you like to fill out a comment card?" He could absolutely care less about the happiness of his customers. Maybe he gets everything he needs from wealthy locals and doesn't need to give a crap about one solo traveler, especially a westerner who doesn't speak Chinese. I hate to say it but I really have felt discriminated against in a most eggregious way during the past few days staying at this hotel. This minute I step outside the hotel everything is normal travel mode, as it should be, and people are warm and fun to interact with even with the language barrier. Only inside the Grand Central Hotel do I feel this constant animosity and dismissiveness towards anyone who doesn't belong.

CONCIERGE
I feel bad for these guys. They are the only ones who were nice to me. They looked up places to go and were very helpful. Too bad their superiors don't share their good natured attitude.

WEBSITE
If you still aren't convinced, look at their website. It looks like someone paid the big bucks to build a nice hotel lobby, but the website isn't worth $200. Unfortunately I had booked through Hotels dot com and hadn't checked their background before booking. How these guys keep their ratings up I will never know. My overall expeience has been quite upsetting.

OVERALL
Based on the decor of lobby and room, I would have leand towards 4 stars. Based on Pool, Fitness I would say 3 stars. Based on Spa, I would say 2 or 3 stars. Based on overall service and attitude, I would say zero stars except for a few concierge staff members who actually try to be nice to customers. Bottom line: avoid this place. There have to be better hotels because there can't be much worse.

Room tip: Don't choose any room. Run to any other hotel
Date of stay: September 2018