“Hotel has the city's worst doormen”

InterContinental Shanghai Expo
Ranked #31 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
“Hotel has the city's worst doormen”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I live in the city and go to their restaurants every so often. What irks me every time I go are their lazy doormen. I yelled at them once for standing by as my wife was fumbling out of the car with two large bags. Still they just stood there indifferently as if to say "Hey I don't open doors, I just take out luggages".

Its not like this hotel is busy - you would think they would try harder. The arrival experience always leaves a sour taste in my mouth such that I cannnot fully enjoy the rest of the restaurant experience. With so many 5-star hotels to choose from, it's these little things that separate an average hotel from the good ones.

• Stayed February 2012
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your concerns. We regret to hear your unpleasant experience you had in our hotel. After our investigation, we found that there might be some misunderstanding in between, we would like to contact you directly and share with you our findings if you could leave your contact details. Please send email to us rachel.lei@ihg.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Apart from the fact that it is really a luxury hotel, I wanna congratulate the General Manager of this hotel for the great staff he has, great services, follow up, going too much miles extra to insure your wish is fulfilled
The housekeeping cleaning my suite are super hero save no effort to surprise me every day with the way she organize my suite, working papers, cloths, towels , bathrobes , every thing
I really feel much welcomed every evening when I come back from along working day
The room service guys and their great services, laundry Service, the concierge and their daily help to communicate with the Taxi drivers to get me to the right location to my office (since i do not talk chinese language) even the duty managers who jumb to insure I am not only satisfied buy to insure Iam soooo happy and yes I am soo happy staying at this lovely hotel that is why I found it soooo important to write this review
Really the best service I have ever had

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Whatisnotdone
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. It's a great honor to hear you're satisfied with our service. We will keep the standard and show our brand culture to everyone. Sincerely invite you to come again!
Shanghai
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed here when attending a conference. My room was very pleasant and the hotel facilities are good. However, the location is terrible - in the middle of a dead zone. It's actually not too far from places you would want to go but everything is a taxi ride away. The staff, while eager to please, seemed rather clueless and training is definitely an issue that mangement needs to address.

Room Tip: Nice hotel but poor location
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We will pass your comments to the management team and will find out a way to solve the problem. Looking forward to seeing you in the near future!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 January 2012

great comfortable rooms and beds with most modern design, clean amenities, comfortable environment in that part of the city. Great swimming pool and spa and changing facilities- the best in Asia perhaps. Large and modern fitness facility that can be used 7/24.
Excellent lounge service and food. Great Chinese restaurant serving authentic and hygienic Chinese dishes, wonderfully decorated. Cafe Restaurant for breakfast and other meals offers excellent food and varieties.
Excellent body and foot message amenities, excellent and courteous service in a most relaxing atmosphere, less expensive than normal five star hotels.

Room Tip: executive or club rooms great experience, select or upgrade to rooms with a view of the river
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking time to share your comments with us. We're glad to hear that you have such a great experience in the hotel. Highly appreciated for your support and sincerely invite you to come again!
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My workplace had a full day function at the hotel. I was very under-impressed with the service. Facilities are beautiful, but, the service was quite disappointing. Walking into the meeting room, there was a wet tablecloth on one of the seats. Apparently there was a spill when setting up the continental breakfast, and the table cloth was cleared...and left on one of the meeting table chairs. It just sat there and sat there. I assumed someone would come in and take it away, but, no one ever did until prompted by us, the customer.

Also, I stopped counting how many times I had to ask the staff to refill our coffee. One pot of coffee for 11 persons and no staff ever checked to see if we needed any replenishment. Continental breakfast selection was also lackluster. Though we paid for 15 persons, we could barely feed the 11 people who showed up. Each of us were able to have one fruit stick, one mini muffin and 1/4 of a sandwich and there was still NOT enough for all 11 of us though our reservation was for 15.

The staff were kind and attentive, however, I just found it less than impressive they just don't seem to be trained to think about all the details.

Based on reviews, it seems like a great place to stay, however, I would avoid it for holding meetings or functions. Very disappointing considering Intercontinental holds such a big name.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nihaomaria
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us! We're sorry to hear that you have such an uncomfortable experience in our hotel. We will bear in mind and totally solve the problem. Sincerely invite you to come back again and all of us will show you the real IC standard.

Apologize for the inconvenience we caused!