“Great place to stay”

InterContinental Shanghai Expo
Ranked #52 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

This is a great place to stay in Shanghai! I was visiting the city for a trade show, and was very happy with the meals, service, and amenities. The gym is full size, so you can get a full workout--strength and aerobic. The spa is also great. I booked two at the last minute (walked in) and was able to get in. Note on the traditional Chinese Massage: it does not include feet massage, which is what I really needed after a long day on my feet!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
icexpo, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you for your useful comments and we're appreciated for your satisfaction for our SPA and Gym. It's really a great place to relax. Sincerely welcome you to our hotel in the future!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I spent almost a month here with the USA Aquatic teams for the 2011 World Championships.
The entire staff was amazing. They were willing to meet our every request, something that is not easy when you are dealing with over 150 athletes and staff. Our convention services manager, Michel Gesthuizen, met with us every day to see how things were going and what adjustments were needed. In the 20 years I have been in charge of this event all over the world this was our best ever hotel and management. But for me the best part of this hotel was the sense of serenity and peace that hit you the moment you walked in the door. And this was even with the x-ray system instituted for security during the Championships. Whether visiting some bustling part of the city or attending the competition returning to the hotel was returning to a peaceful oasis.
Some complain about the location and that may change, but you can get a taxi to almost any part of Shanghai for two or three dollars. The hotel was a wonderful place to come home to.

Room Tip: Ask for a River View, preferably high. Watching the different boats go up and down the river is very...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
icexpo, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Thank you for taking time to share such a detailed comments with us. It's our great honor to serve your team for this important World Championship. We're very appreciated for your recommendation and happy to hear that you did enjoy a great experience in our hotel. We will pass your comments to our staff Michel, and will keep the service standard and quality and show our brand culture to each guest.

Welcome to our hotel again!
macau
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I'm an unconditional "Fan" of Intercontinental Shanghai Expo.
This Hotel is the living example on how Good Management changes everything.
The mood,attitude,motivation,and professionalism of the all staff, is reason enough for me to come back times and times again.
For those complaining about it's location,in 10 minutes and 25 RMB by taxi,you are in the Bund or Xintiandi.
Pay attention to the noise boards in the city center....80Db's....88Db's....it's not a lucky number,.....it's a serious pollution that seriously damages your health and your audition capability.
No need to say how quite,and green is the Expo Area.....minutes away from this Hell.
This time I went for a Spa Treatment.
I went for an Aromatherapy Oil Massage plus an Aromatherapy Bath.
The beautiful masseur,very professional,educated and with a perfect english.
The Spa,fantastique. Excellent equipment,and facilities,nice Tibetan music to relax.
1 to 10....I give 10
I strongly recommend, and the price...only a fraction of what we pay home.
I also highlight the Cocktail time at the Club Lounge.
It is of the highest quality,Food and Wines,and a great opportunity to socialize with the Hotel Management, coming there to greet and talk to guests, in a very nice environment.
I even was told of some special recipe,to do a tasty seafood stock, with local ingredients...thanks to the Chief from Chile.
Another highlight. Basilico Italian restaurant.
With a beautiful decoration,and real north Italy food and wine.
Very reasonable prices.
This time I stayed 2 days and went twice to Basilico.
But if you like to eat out and don't want to go far,you have a very nice Paulaner,5 minutes walking,with good German food and excellent Beer.
My office in Shanghai is in Jinan Temple,with many 5 star hotels in the area.
I stay in Shanghai at least 4 nights every month.
And Intercontinental Shanghai Expo is the place to stay if we really care of our Body and Spirit.

Room Tip: Join IC Priority Club,buy IC Ambassador tier and enjoy upgrades and other benefits
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mariomacau
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have just spent 5 nights at this Hotel with very mixed feelings . Would I stay here again Never !
The Hotel is top drawer , great rooms ,fantastic gym / pool and very friendly staff but the location is awful and really detracts from the experience.
There really is absolutely nothing in the vicinity of the Hotel to see or do , so all activities require a 20 minute taxi drive. This on its own is not to bad as taxi fares are relatively cheap , the problem however is that quite often taxis drivers in Shanghai do not want to take a fare back to the Hotel too such an out of the way place. At times I had to stop up to 4 taxis before I could get a ride back to the Hotel.
Sunday evening at 9.50pm I want an evening meal and a nice bottle of wine, the Italian restaurant which is very good is closed , the staff send me downstairs to the Western restaurant which has virtually cleared up for the evening . I end up having a cheese and ham sandwich in my room . Not what you want from a 5 star Hotel . At least if you were situated in the City in the samecircumstance you could walk outside to a choice of restaurants. Staying at this Hotel you have no options whatsoever
They also charge for internet access in the rooms yet it is free in the lobby. Therefore a visiting non guest can walk in to the Hotel and use the free WIFI but if you are paying £200 per night for a deluxe room, buying beer a £8.00 a pint in the bar you are charged £10 per day. Will someone please explain the commercial rational of this to me ??
A real shame but my advice is avoid this Hotel , I really wish I had not stayed here ! sorry

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the River , Eat early , bring in your own water , very expensive at the bar
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
icexpo, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're very appreciated for your comments and give us a direction to improve.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Recently I attended an International Conference In Shanghai accompanied by my wife. The conference location really dictated where we would stay. We didn't know what to expect when we arrived. Almost from the moment we arrived the service was outstanding along with facilities that are second to none. The rooms are really exceptional with an amazing view of a busy river right outside your window. Wow what a pool and spa simply unbelievable. Then there's the buffet especially the breakfast which is beyond eating heaven. There's even a British Pub on their grounds. It seems the hotel was built in time for Expo for celebrities and continues to offer the same level of service. We really appreciated the location of the hotel as it's located just on the edge of the crowds of Shanghai. Taxis are very reasonable so getting around Shanghai from the hotel was extremely easy. All of this was great but what put it over the top for us was the staff. Having stayed on for over two weeks we really got to know many of the staff and in the end it felt like we were around family. Fredrique and her staff in the restaurant quickly made you feel at home and special. The Executive Chef even setup a pastry lesson for my wife with Jenny head pastry chef. The Concierge were also exceptional as they took a personal interest in your well being. They arranged a trip to another province without a hitch along with many, many short trips. In all we can't speak enough about the whole experience and we would encourage you to feel confident in booking with this hotel.

Stan and Pat W.

Room Tip: Overlooking the river
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
icexpo, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Dear Pat,

Thank you for taking time to share such a detailed comments with us. We're very appreciated for your recommendation and happy to hear that you did enjoy a great experience in our hotel. We will pass your comments to our staff you mentioned, and will keep the service standard and quality and show our brand culture to each guest.

Sincerely invite you to our hotel again!