Baron Business Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$ 134
  • Restaurant
US$ 130
US$ 100
Agoda.com
All reviewssimple hotelcleaning ladiesour entire staystrategic locationenglish speakersnight's sleepmetro stationfew minutes walkhuangpu riverrooms are spaciouswaitannanjingcleanlinessskyline
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Booked this via an agent website, to be honest I didn't have very high expectations; I expected a typical tourist trap type hotel with lovely photos but dire rooms and service. How could could I have been!

The Baron is nestled away just a short walk from the Bund, it's a little oasis in a city of chaos. Staff on reception spoke good English. Check in was quick and efficient.

The room was large and clean, it contained 2 beds and a desk with free cabled internet. Beds were far softer than we'd been used to in China and the duvets felt like luxury.

The bathroom was well appointed too, plenty of space and a powerful shower over the bath.

I was on the top (5th) floor and the room had French windows that opened out onto a private roof terrace with a table and couple of chairs.

Breakfast was great too, It was buffet style and only cost 48RMB (£5/$8) which I thought was good value. There was plenty of Chinese door and rice or noodles; or even bacon and fried eggs!

The only negative thing, and it's no fault of the hotel, is that the short walk to the Bund is an night full of beggars and pimps all tryin to extort money. A polite no and keep walking is usually enough but at first it can be uncomfortable.

Overall this hotel was a great little find and when I'm in Shanghai next I'll defiantly be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stay in this hotel for 2 nights in our roundtrip thrue China wit travel group. Well, the location was important for us, and that is advantage of this hotel. Room, that we had, has the wall opposite the window, so absolutely no wiew. Agree, that we can hear the conversation from another room. If you didn´t wan to use elevator, becouse it was really slow, the stairways to reception were confusiong. I must say, that breakfast was poor. We can´t connect to wifi in our room, only in lobby, and not all the time...
Anyway, room was clean, there is nice restaurant Costa coffe near the hotel where you can eat, it was near the pedestrian area and riverside.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MirosIav
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I just got back from my trip to China. I spent some time in Shanghai, Beijing and Hefei and I must admit that Baron Business Hotel in Shanghai is the perfect mix of location (!!!), standard and price. It's located 2 minutes on foot from the river, 5 minutes on foot from Nanjing Road. Rooms (in slept in a twin) are pretty small but nicely furnished, bathroom was clean. Some people complain about hard beds but it's just the chinese way and I can't complain. After all day walking through the city, I had no problem falling asleep and my back didn't ache in the morning :) The breakfast buffet could be better but hey, it's really enough to charge your batteries. At this price it's really a hotel I highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emilia P
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed at Baron for 4 nights - walls are thin, you can hear conversations from next room (this Chinese local woman was arguing non stop for hours on the phone) and you can hear it! Room design is modern looking but find the bathroom lighting too dim. Reception service is average nothing outstanding. The location is quite convenient for you to walk to the Bund area and even to walk to the Yuan Garden. Can walk to Nanjing Road as well but this shopping street is really a poor place to shop - local brands that are dowdy and department stores that are outdated back to 1980s! Not a fantastic and nor truly memorable stay but then I found Shanghai unmemorable too. Room pricing is reasonable though.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Stayed here for one night on way out of China after a nice trip. Rooms are large and well-appointed. But, the first room we were in the a/c didn't work. workperson came up, assured us it was working - it was not. Gave it 2 hours, called again. sent up another workperson, finally agreed after being exasperated with us that yes, it was broken. They finally moved us to another room at 11:30 at night. Staff seemed perturbed at us for being unwilling to sleep in 85% humidity and 85 degrees F. Room they put us in smelled bad, nobody even helped move the luggage.

so, not happy and I wouldn't stay her again - there are far better deals in terms of quality to price in Shanghai.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business