See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 February 2015

After a long flight from Belgium I came into this hostel. The room had no windows, was superdamp, and the bathroom was really dirty. I booked a room for 4 days but decided to leave after one night. The bunkbeds were also really old.

I do believe in summertime this could be a good hostel, since they have a nice garden, but at least ask for a room with a window if you go there.

I must say that the staff was friendly, and they gave back my money (for the other 3 nights) without a problem.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2014

First of all, the location is really undesirable. Contrary to what the online directions are from the hostel, it's closer to a 15-20 minute walk from the nearest metro station, especially with a backpack. Not to mention the last part of the walk there is down the sketchiest alley- I was a bit nervous as a solo female traveler walking down there when I arrived late at night.

The hostel itself has a strange vibe, because a large majority of the guests are 30+ year old Chinese people who seem to be living at the hostel long-term. I met no other western travelers there though I spent my free time in the common area. Speaking of, the common area is a very cold place to hang out because they always have the doors open (even though there are signs on them that say 'please keep doors closed' ha!), so it's chilly in November.

The rooms are really basic- I found it odd that you have to make your own beds. Putting a duvet cover on was an adventure for me. I've never stayed in a hostel where you have to make your own beds and I've been traveling in Asia for over five months. The bathrooms were tiny (you have to squeeze to get in the door bc of where the sink is placed) and absolutely disgusting when I moved in, though they cleaned them the next day (giant clumps of hair all over the floor, no toilet paper, sink counter soaked and dirty etc).

Staff was friendly enough, wifi worked fine usually in the common area, weak in the rooms- but other than that, it's not worth staying here, especially for what you pay (I MIGHT deal with it if it was like $3USD). Look elsewhere- I'd recommend a hostel on/near Nanjing Road, I know there are a few there and they're supposed to be nice!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank angelarose92
Reviewed 31 May 2013

the hostel is fine if you want to spare money. The location if fine even if located near dirty homes. The welcome is so so. The stair to go to rooms is not convenient if you have big luggage. But good in a good place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Shanghai Hidden Garden is 'hidden' in that it is about a 100 meter walk down a narrow road off of Pudong Avenue. It's got a great atmosphere, a friendly vibe. The staff is warmhearted and helpful. The owners are onsite. Metro is a ten minute walk away. Clean sheets. Great little noodle shops nearby. We stayed in a private room for three weeks and were happy here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank M J B
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Hostel World rated this hostel as 61%. Now I see why. When I arrived at the entrance of the lane this hostel is located on, I saw slums for migrant workers. I thought "you've go to be joking, right? Is THIS it?" It took me a while to figure out that these slums were NOT the hostel. When I looked to my right, at the end of the lane I recognized some of the buildings from the hostels YHA listing. Once inside however, the hostel provided a pleasant atmosphere and the staff were friendly. Great western breakfast as well. A bit shoddy on the cleaning. There was a sign in Chinese and English saying that they clean the room between 1-3 pm but they didn't always clean thoroughly. Also I could only get one TV station and the light next to my bed wasn't working properly. While I wouldn't give the same rating as Hostel World I do give it a score of 75%.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo