“Almost there” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 4,941 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong
“Almost there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Overall a very good experience, probably the best I've had in Mainland China.

The good: beautiful design throughout, good gym (didn't use the spa), staff mostly friendly and helpful, well-appointed rooms. When I asked to move to another room due to excessive noise, they did so swiftly and without a question.

The could-be-better: Inconsistent housekeeping (sometimes refill fruit bowl, sometimes not; sometimes ice bucket at turndown, sometimes not; "do not disturb" sometimes respected, sometimes not). Good room lighting scheme suffers from poor location of controls and terrible bed reading lights. Bathroom water pressure very weak and hot water slow in arriving. Toilet seat loose in the two rooms I stayed in. On check-out, no one helped me with my luggage.

Lastly, English and positive customer service still a problem with some staff. Half my stay, the lady who answered service calls was not very fluent in English, and I had to explain things slowly using "simple" words. The worst was when I asked for a late check-out; the blank stare and "no" I got from one young lady at the reception reminded me of the service attitude one encounters regularly in local Chinese hotels. Luckily someone else spotted the problem and sorted things out efficiently.

Room Tip: Park view is preferable.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank HKGNYC
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear HKGNYC,

Thank you for your kind comments on the hotel. The team is delighted to read that your experience was amongst the best in the country. That means so much to all of us.

Thank you also for pointing out points for improvement. I have shared them with relevant colleagues to avoid future recurrence albeit at your expense unfortunately.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. When you do please let me know?

Martijn van der Valk
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Puli is one of the most popular hotel as i heard of. The hotel was well designed but a bit too dark for my taste.

Hotel and room is decor with dark wood and generally dark color, which i personally fond of

Room configuration, for me, is a bit "scary". The bed is facing the washroom. Never against it, but it makes me uncomfortable from my bed.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear chungmelody,
Thank you for posting on TA. Every room in the hotel has a sliding glass door with silk screens to separate the bedroom from the bathroom. For your future reference please note that both Grand Studios (with room numbers ending with 01) and Junior Suites (with room numbers ending with 02) have the bathroom behind or on the side of the bedroom. I think this configuration will suit you best! Thank you for letting me know.
We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Shanghai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

What a pity, this hotel has so much potential! The hardware is the only thing that worked.
We live in Shanghai and with my partner we decided to treat ourselves to a weekend 'away'. My friend told me they are busy for business travelers so they offer good rates on weekends. BIG mistake.

We get a room with views to one of the highways. Not what we planned, but it would have been ok but you could hear the TRAFFIC in the room. We went down to reception and they told us 'you pay cheap offer so you get this room' and offered to upgrade us for more money, which we didn't accept. I was quite shocked because the girl that checked us in seemed nice.

After arguing for some time (no manager was available) they offered a room at a higher floor, so they give us the new key. We go up and it's two beds! We go down again and explain we want one bed. They find one bed, yet at another floor. Up we go again but no luggage. We call down and they tell us the bellboy had left the luggage at the second room and that they will come right away. 15 min later, still no luggage. We wanted to go to the swimming pool so we were waiting. They finally bring us another luggage,not ours! We then get really upset and the Chinese circus starts (still no manager - or I should say that the guy that identified as the manager was a clown). It took them 30 min, at a 'so called' 5 star hotel.

In one sentence: STAY AWAY, it's not worth the money. It's a real pity: the SERVICE is absolutely DISGUSTING and the location is now USELESS: in between a highway and construction buildings. Oh well, I hope this will help other people not to make the same mistake.

Room Tip: All have CONSTRUCTION views, so be warned
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Har B
Dear Har B,

My apologies for letting you down on this occasion. I have tried to get in touch personally, but to no avail yet unfortunately. Please contact me in the hotel when you have a moment?

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We had high expectations on this hotel and we weren't disappointed. The location is ok as it is close to the French Concession and have some nice shopping malls nearby. Except for the very stylish and modern feel of the hotel, we loved how much effort has been put into the amazing lightning through out the hotel. Rooms are very exclusive and comfortable with big windows. The pool, gym and the spa areas are great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view towards the park.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Stefan A,

Thank you for your kind comments on the hotel. As much as we are a design led but at the same time very much a service driven hotel, of course we appreciate you telling us you have enjoyed the style of The Puli Hotel and Spa. The amazing talent of Johannes Hartfuss (interior design) and his team of Layan, Melbourne and Nathan Thompson (lighting design) of The Flaming Beacon, Melbourne are responsible!

Thank you for coming to see us all the way from Sweden. Happy travels and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I absolutely believed this was going to be the most stunning hotel I stayed at in China. For certain, for my tastes, it had the best interior design. I loved my corner room - I loved the lobby - and the bed was fantastic. But there it ended. The rest was a complete joke. I really cannot be bothered to write down everything that went wrong, but alas the signs were there weeks before I checked-in, and continued right up until I left.

We booked a Club room. My advice, DON'T! The Club service is a joke - the afternoon tea a shambles. Most of the services promised with the Club room are not even provided. I have a whole list of what the PulLi state will be provided with a Club room - we got 50% of them.

I should note to all Wallpaper* guide readers - the Shanghai 2012 guide states you will have your own Club loungue with outdoor patio space for breakfast with wonderful views, etc, at The PuLi Hotel. It's not true. That service has not been provided since 2009. So now we know the Wallpaper* guides are not as up to date as they are supposed to be considering they are reprinted every year.

My advice to the PuLi is 'too many cooks spoil the broth' - there are too many people trying to do 1 thing, and in the end no one does anything. The staff are not properly trained, and that can only be the fault of the management. At the Long Bar the staff know nothing about wine and how to serve it properly - and they mixed some very odd tasting classic cocktails. But again, they've obviously not been properly trained.

This was the most expensive hotel I stayed at in China - yet it offered the worst value and service. So I regret staying here. If the PuLi were listed as a 3 star or 4 star hotel, then I would accept it's faults. But it's listed as a 5 star and one of the Leading Hotels Of The World - and it simply does not justify it's rating ... at least, not until management have trained the staff properly.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on booking a Club room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Serial_Traveller
Dear Serial-Traveller,

My apologies for letting you down on this stay. I have tried to get in touch personally, but to no avail yet unfortunately. Please contact me in the hotel when you have a moment? I cannot leave an email address but a generic one can be found on our website alternatively.