“Been eating here for 15 years ”

Ruifuyuan Restaurant (Maoming South Road)
Ranked #310 of 17,669 Restaurants in Shanghai
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 100
Neighbourhood: Former French Concession
Neighbourhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has very consistent quality Shanghai local food and has been doing this very well for many many years.

The prices are very reasonable and the quality is very consistent.

It’s stander Chinese style in a big room, so not going to be famous for service so adjust your expectations in advance.

No English at all but there are some photos on the menu.

This place is a local institution and there is a long wait to eat here at night. I enjoy it a lot, and I’ve been using the same waitress for 15 years. I tip unlike locals and I get fantastic service including dishes modified from the normal menu to suit my preferences.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Let’s start with the food, we had around eight dishes, all were great. Grandma’s Meat Pot was the best I’ve ever had in Shanghai.

The attitude here is bizarre; like old-China semi-gangster yelling oldies, complete with a touch of xenophobia. It started when we were skipped over for our table. So I went to the men’s room while waiting, but a Chinese lady customer was in it, and she started yelling at ME!? She blocked the hall and wouldn’t let me enter even though she was exiting the men’s room, yelling to the lady next door in the actual woman’s room “hey this guy bla bla bla!!!”. Why? So I just shrugged, went back to my table.

Next the tough-looking server lady took the other group’s order at our table, and walked off. We had to walk up front and tell the hostess we were ready to order. Then she forgot our rice THREE times, and the last dish took forever. They don’t even understand the words water, rice, bathroom or even pointing! The Chinese group at our table helped “hey lady, they want THIS!!!” (pointing also). What’s the problem?

I was with Koreans, who get very angry at the slightest sign of disrespect. And so the whole thing went absolutely nuclear. Finally some lady who spoke English came out, but by then it was too late. Why didn’t they think to send her out from the beginning?

I’m aware there are cultural differences, but have never had trouble like this before in China. I do think this was related to old-generation anti-foreigner attitude, better not go here without a local guide.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 17 November 2016

On my last day in Shanghai, my friend took me out to lunch to have the "authentic" Shanghainese feel.

As being couped up in the hotel and mostly tasting fusion and cosmopolitan, it is high time to have some real Chinese food.

And Ruifuyuan Restaurant did not disappoint.

Situated at 132 Mao Ming Road, do not be confused with the other stall, also with an address 132 (it's a sushi bar, so it's a give away that it is not Ruifuyuan). You also won't see Ruifuyuan in the name, because it is spelled out in Mandarin characters (says much about authenticity).

The must try? The best xiaolongbao ever!

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 11 April 2016

We were looking for authentic Chinese food and we got it! We had pictures of menu items with us and knew what we wanted. This place was crowded at all time of the day very few tourists but really no problem being understood. We enjoyed the whole experience

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 14 December 2015

This is THE restaurant for authenic, traditional Shanghai food. May not be to everyone's taste especially if you are thinking Chinese-American food. We were very fortunate to dine with a young Chinese couple that are Shanghai natives. They did the ordering - no English menu. Tofu and crab soup, snails stuffed with ground meat, braised pork belly, and dumplings were our favorites. Very reasonably priced.

Date of visit: November 2015