“Wedding bliss”

Toberua Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toberua Island
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My husband and I eloped to Toberua - just the two of us, no family or guests at all. We purchased their basic wedding package and I was really impressed with what we received for it. We arrived on the Friday and sat down that afternoon with Mere to go over the details of what we wanted (rainy day options, what music we wanted the band to play - also the choice of island band or choir), what flowers I wanted, etc. and she was most accommodating - I asked for extra frangipanis for my hair and received a beautiful hairpiece - no extra charge.
On the day, the celebrant/minister came a couple of hours early to confirm the kind of ceremony we wanted - he does both secular and religious - and then one of the staff came to help me get dressed.
The staff had dressed the beach where the ceremony was held beautifully - the trunks of the palm trees were plaited with leaves and there were a dozen or more (no kidding) flower arrangements of tropical flowers lining the aisle - I was blown away.
The ceremony was short and sweet and a huge number of staff and most of the other guests turned up to watch the show!
It was a truly romantic day and a completely stress-free wedding.
If I had the money and the time (we did this all on three weeks' notice) I would have loved to have booked the whole island out for family and friends.
It's a beautiful spot and well worth a visit. We snorkeled the morning of our wedding and I also found time to fit in a massage before the event - I may have been the most relaxed bride ever!
My only regret is not engaging a professional photographer. We took a great quality, easy to use SLR camera with us and one of the staff happily took pictures for us but they were nearly all out of focus.
The other key feature of Toberua that I have to mention is the quality of the food - it was delicious. I'm a big seafood lover so chose that option nearly every meal and it was all excellent - lots of spicy Asian influence, ranging from Thai to Indian. My hubby is the steak eating manly-man type and he was impressed with his food choices too.
The staff on Toberua are numerous and very friendly and I'd definitely recommend it for a relaxing, chilled out holiday.

5  Thank Mary S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed on this amazing island for 15 nights from 12th -26th January 2012, a family of four with two children, our son almost 13 and our daughter 11.

My husband and I are quite well travelled but I can honestly say this was (excluding Disney) our best holiday yet. The island is small and when we arrived we both independently panicked worrying that there really would not be enough to keep us occupied for 5 days and we had 15! How wrong we were. Within 24 hours we were fully submerged into this beautiful island, it's people and the other guests on the island we feel lucky to have shared some laughs with.

Every box was ticked for us, the Bure (14) was on the 'windy side' but really caused us no problems at all, we felt it was very private only having one more Bure to the right of us. The food was of a very high standard and there was plenty of it. The children had a cookie in the afternoon on two occasions they just didn't need filling. I managed only the main meal and desert occasionally as the serves were such a good size. The staff were genuinely interested in making your time with them the best it could be. From the ladies in housekeeping to the chef, bar staff, groundsmen and water activities staff. They knew your names within hours of arrival and as the time went on they learnt more about you. They would set our breakfast table with just two cups having noted that only the adults had a tea with breakfast! On one occasion one of the ladies brought my sons thongs back to the Bure for him he had left them somewhere on the island. The rooms were kept clean and tidy stocked daily with any fresh towels including beach towels which are provided.

We snorkelled every day around the island and out off the boats supervised by Nathan, Amini and Sureli. We were never disappointed seeing rays, reef sharks, lion fish and many more varieties of tropical fish. As a family we also did the scuba diving course and went out on two dives. My husband and son dived off Picnic Island and saw a see turtle.

There were a number of trips off the island which you were able to do at small extra cost, a village trip, Picnic Island, Mangroves, into Suva and Bird Island. There were also daily snorkel trips, canoes, wind surfers, sailing boat and all snorkelling equipment provided free of charge. You could also play reef golf, putt putt golf, volleyball, pool, table tennis and board games were available in the bar.

We truly had the most amazing time it was the most relaxed my husband has ever been. The children also loved it and are asking to return. It is a place where you can be as active and involved with everything as you choose or left to yourselves to simply relax.

Our journey from Adelaide, SA was lengthy. We took a short flight with Air Pacific from Nadi to Suva. This was fine on the way there but when we arrived at Nadi for our return journey the flight had been cancelled. We were transferred between airports in a taxi which was awful. If we were to return I would book the coach transfer even though it is a long journey (4 hours) I would prefer to do this than risk another cancellation with the airline.

Room Tip: We loved Bure 14 very private
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Joanne W
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We travelled to Fiji (and Toberua) for the first time to share in the celebrations of friend’s 25th wedding anniversary. My wife and I were not sure what to expect from the island and went with an open mind. My major concern was that we would be bored, after all what were we going to do for 5 full days on an island in the middle of nowhere!
We had been on the island for about 6 hours before we decided that we will definitely be returning.
The simple facts are; the staff are fantastic, so friendly, so polite and nothing is an issue. The food was excellent and we looked forward to every course of every meal. There was as much or as little to do as we could ever want. The location is unbelievable and for us what we would expect from a tropical resort that had everything that we wanted, we got.
We certainly enjoyed our stay; we would recommend it for couples or families. If my wife has ever been more relaxed, then it was before I met her.

Room Tip: Bure 5, and the rest on the seaward side get great breze at night.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Craig T
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed at Toberua for 5 nights in September and we absolutely loved it. There was enough to do that we werent bored, but there wasnt too much do so we still had plenty of time to relax.

This was our first visit to Fiji and I researched extensively in the hope that we would choose the right place to stay and we were definately not disappointed! The staff at the island are what makes the place so special, by the time we left it was like we were part of the family.

We went fishing with Mini which was fun. A couple of times we did the daily snorkelling trip which was nice. And we also did the village trip.

The food (meal plan) was fabulous and well worth it, we enjoyed a cooked breakfast daily and 3 course lunch / 4 course dinner. We didnt have morning or afternoon tea once during our stay as we were still full from breakfast / lunch and didnt need it.

The double hammock was amazing for an afternoon siesta and for reading books!

We stayed in one of the big resorts in Denarau (Nadi) for 2 nights before heading to Toberua for 5 nights and then went back to Denarau for 2 nights, however we wished we had of spent the last 2 nights on the island rather than going back to Denarau, we truley were sad to leave.

We stayed in Bure 1 which was on the not-so-windy side of the island (which we were very pleased about) and it suited the two of us perfectly.

Thanks again and we hope to come back and visit one day.

Getting to Toberua: You can Fly to Suva however we took a bus from Nadi Town to Suva (they drop you at the Holiday Inn Suva). We booked the bus through Tourism Transport Fiji (TTF) at Nadi airport when we first arrived. The cost was $22 Fijian Dollars per person, and it was comfortable enough. It took 4 hours on the bus to the Holiday Inn Suva) - where we were met by the Toberua organised transfer to take us to the landing and then on the boat to the island.

10  Thank TeeGee81
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This resort is very near from Suva. It is easy access only one hour from Suva. You take 30 mins by taxi after that 30 mins by boat. You see some small village on the way to the island with boat cruise. All the staffs are very kind and take care of you. You can relax and feel at home during your stay. The food is also very nice. You can choose meat or fish or vegetable. The bure looks like fijian houses which has high roof and wooden furniture. If the weather is nice, you'll stay very comfortable but the couldy or rainy you feel very cold becaouse of the island is breezed from the sea all the time make you feel cold. However, this resort is the best around Suva, you are able to forget your busy day.

1  Thank Tomashi
0.0 km away
Island Accommodation
Island Accommodation
#1 of 10 in Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK