All reviews kids club beachfront villa daily laundry service lunch and dinner movie room fish sunset drinks non alcoholic drinks kids menu three courses natural beauty fiji night beach side family holiday sea plane helicopter ride executive chef
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

The title says it all. As soon as you arrive on the island you are treated like family, the bountiful smiles and Bula’s around every corner make Vomo a must stay option.

The previous couple of reviews say it all...for us as a family (48,40,9 & Henry the 6 year old) Vomo had everything. The food is stunning, no rushing at any mealtimes, kids menu as well (gluten and lactose free options too).

Vomo has mastered that laid back feel, nothing is any problem, the team really make it special. Our recommendations- climb to the top of Vomo for a great sunset, do the snorkeling (often), learn to dive (Padi), let the kids enjoy the talented team at the kids club- but most of all eat, drink and relax. Thanks Vomo!

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank 617michaelh
Karen M, Director of Sales at Vomo Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Bula Michael H,
You sound like you have the perfect formula sorted, to ensure everyone in the family gets what they need from a stay at VOMO.
We love it when guests have a true understanding of the sense of place and genuine Fijian hospitality that VOMO provides.
Hope you'll return to your island home again in the future. We'd love to see you.
Vinaka and regards
The VOMO family.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

This is our 6th stay in Fiji. We have stayed at Musket Cove , Malolo , Castaway and the on the mainland a few times previously. First time at Vomo though.
We were a family of 4 ( 2 boys 8 and 14) and stayed 5 nights. Our first night we stayed at the Sheraton Fiji Denarau ( which was very expensive for what it was...very disappointing at AUD$500/ night ). In hindsight I wouldv'e caught the Helicopter and flew directly to VOMO missing the Sheraton altogether .
Vomo was fantastic and out of this world. I highly recommend VOMO if you want an all inclusive holiday. Nothing was a problem . Staff were friendly...Zac was a standout. My kids don't like kids club however I heard it was excellent ..we always saw kids running around having a great time. My boys had such a great time ( snorkelling, kayaking , stand up paddle , tennis , football, basketball and more ) . My husband and I climbed the mountain each day for exercise. The food was outstanding .
I really could not fault it . It certainly was the best holiday we've had as a family. I would highly recommend VOMO if you want a completely relaxing holiday with everything taken care of.

Room tip: Hilltop rooms were great
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Kirrily K

Bula Kirrily K,
We loved reading your review. Thank you for taking the time to post this. You certainly have visited a few of Fiji's most popular island resorts. We are so glad you've found VOMO.

As the helicopters can travel in daylight hours only, if you arrive into Nadi International on your flight, prior to 4pm, you can usually connect straight from the arrivals hall over to the Nadi Airport Helipad (2 minute drive and they transfer you for free) and then it's just a 12 minute flight straight out to VOMO. The pilot just needs to ensure there is enough daylight to reach VOMO and then back to base before dark.

Despite being a small resort of just 32 villas, I think the expanse of the 255 acre island allows a much greater level of activity than you might normally expect at a small island resort. Certainly good for working off all that delicious cuisine too.

We sincerely appreciate your recommendation to others and hope we can welcome you back on your 7th visit to Fiji.
Vinaka and regards from your VOMO family.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

What can I say about Vomo Island . We just spent 12 days on Vomo, 2 adults and 2 girls 8 and 6 staying in a beach from villa. The rooms were really well appointed with ample storage space, built in USB chargers, Bluetooth speaker and a mini bar that you can have custom stocked. The island is just about as perfect as can be if you want to get away from it all. It is literally a cruise on land, all inclusive except for alcohol, spa treatments and day trips. Staff were exceptional and the kids village is the best I have ever encountered - the girls loved it. The resort area of the island is small enough that kids alway know where to find parents but it is also big enough to go for a daily walk / run up Mt Vomo to the yoga deck. Rooms are quite small for a family of four but we didn’t spend much time in the room. Daily laundry service as well. The rocks at the Western end of the island is for adults only and offers a great view of the sunset. Food was excellent and for those of us with coeliac disease I can assure you that the chefs all know how to prepare gluten free meals that are suitable - pretty much all the ice cream and sorbet is gluten free, also the chips ( French fries). All in all would highly recommend as a great island getaway. Will definitely revisit. 5+ stars

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank GOMFS

Bula GOMFS,
Vinaka for your wonderful review. We are so pleased you all enjoyed your stay and it sounds like you kept yourselves very busy with activities as well.

We do pride ourselves on being able to cater to all manner of dietary requirements and of course we understand that Coeliac is not a choice and food must be treated very carefully. I can imagine this takes the pressure off, when you know you can dine every day, not having to be concerned. So glad you thought our cuisines was excellent too!

We love you awarding us 5+ stars but we love it even more that you have promised to revisit. Vinaka and Sote tale (see you then).
Warm regards
The VOMO family

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Note: below are reasons for 3 Stars (really 3.5 Stars) so I’ll start with the cons:

1-I’m super picky with food but assumed they’d have a few traditional items on their menu such as Surf & Turf, scallops, more fresh seafood (i.e. no crazy spices or food combinations). For the $ you pay to eat and stay the food is important. I started asking to see the kids menu and the chef still did not come out to talk to me so I could explain my food preferences & allergies as I heard he would do. Some of it was great, especially deserts, but for me it was a hit or miss.

2-some employees didn’t seem to understand English while others were fine; but the folks at the desk dealing with money should speak fluently. We asked 3 different times during our 7 nt stay if our 1 night stay at the beachouse (BH) was paid for as our travel agent never invoiced us for this last minute upgrade when they lowered the prices due to construction of the adults only pool (which we only found out about approx. 3 weeks before we left); and travel agent documentation said to work directly with the resorts on upgrades & preferences. Each time we asked, Vomo reps looked at their computers and said there was nothing due & not to worry. we insisted we were fine staying in the BF villa and said we would rather pay to utilize their spa and diving lessons. Note: our BF villa was never reserved on our last night (probably since we originally booked it for 7 nights). We told Vomo on 3 separate occasions IF we owed a balance we didn’t want to stay in the BH. Although they said that would be fine, they kept insisting we owed nothing.

When the resort insists 3x we do not owe a balance and not to worry, why would we? Our checkout paperwork shows 0 balance due after we paid for our excursions.

In the end, I don’t think they did their due diligence & checked with the travel agent on our behalf; because now we are getting billed and Vomo said we didn’t inquire about this. That is the most disappointing thing is they’re implying we are lying about inquiring, plus they are not taking any responsibility even though they can ask Anna (our BH butler) because she was the last person we checked with BEFORE we went to the BH; one last time to ensure we did not owe a balance. We assumed we were simply upgraded free of charge since many resorts do that plus the BH was available 9 nights before they put our reservation in, and several nights after we left (per coma website) so it wasn’t as if we prevented others from staying there.

3-the bed in the BF villa killed my back; despite me telling them in advance of my back issues. (Tokoriki’s bed was more comfortable but I’d still pick Vomo over Tokoriki especially once the adults only pool is done.)

4-not enough off island excursions; going to a Fijian village for a day is not my idea of a 5 Star vacation although I’d like to do that someday. More excursions i.e. to the main island, to some of the other Yasawa resorts, places that have caves/diving holes, jet boarding (which is on their FB page but they don’t offer it), moonlight snorkeling (like some northern Fijian resorts offer), TV or a movie room for people who can’t afford to stay in the big houses, and Adding a mini golf course would give everyone something to do and make them more unique. I saw one resort on the main island that had a water park! Lastly, when it rains, there is nothing to do. Indoor pool/hot tubs, mini indoor water park (check out Wolf Lodge in the poconos PA), and add a TV to all rooms w/satellite service, then let the guests decide to use them, etc. Everyone is paying a lot of money to stay there so please consider these ideas.

*I hope after the adults only pool is put in they add a restaurant on to the Rocks bar that is open 7 days a week.

5-the spa tables were flat and if you get more than 1 service it’s hard to get up after. Contour chairs / tables would go a long way.

6-The adults only pool was supposed to have been built by sept 2017. This was frustrating to learn not only that it wasn’t but that they were starting construction 1 day after we arrived.

7-we heard the generators near the back of the villa

8-lots of seaweed. Seaweed can attract sea lice and one person complained of bites who we snorkeled with. Luckily I bought this great sunblock that is safe for coral (on amazon) and I never burned nor was bit... despite white redhead skin. Not sure if Vomo can fo anything about this.

9-there absolutely is tipping in FIJI. everything we read made it seem like there wasn’t but they encourage group tipping that they split up once a year. This was odd because we tipped people who gave us great service

-no hot tubs at either of the 2 resorts and pool closes at 8 or 9 at the latest. In FLORIDA they keep the pools open 24x7.

Pros:

-the beach had white sand and was a beautiful setting

-the rooms were clean and bathrooms nice. Wish the shower was a bit bigger and there was a headrest in the tub as it’s deep, but very nice to have both.

-the complimentary snorkeling at different spots was lovely, and we saw a 3 foot reef shark below us. I was a little scared but the resort diver companion made us feel comfortable. TIP: I bought a 2018 aria full face mask! No messing with a detached snorkel ... but If you get one, get it fitted before you buy at a dive shop.

-the spa deals were so worth it (minus the uncomfortable flat tables)

-there were some very friendly people who worked there, especially the driver to the the Rocks who had a great smile when he said Bula Bula each time he saw us, which was the friendly Fijian people we read about. But we didn’t connect with anyone “like family” unfortunately.

-they had room service which was awesome plus free cleaning of clothes

I might go back some day once the adults pool is done, if they continue to have special deals, and make other improvements like free upgrades - goes a long way to increasing repeat customers! even with the tariffs they have to be making a fortune, so I’d rather pay for my meals if it meant the chef cared about my likes & dislikes. I would like to bring my family and 2 granddaughters (the littlest is 1 week old today with congenital heart defects which require surgery at CHOP by Christmas this year :( ).

But only if we can get a great deal to give Vomo another chance for our business. I feel like they’re so close, with some real changes like tending to each guests individual needs, without us feeling like we are a nuisance ... they could be at the top of the places to go to FIJI. Until then, with the air being so expensive, I really think Hawaii is still a better deal - we saw sea turtles, whales, spinner dolphins, huge waves (winter) and great snorkeling. With stuff to do when it’s raining.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
8  Thank redlight40

Hi Redlight 40
Thank you for reviewing us and for the 3.5 stars, following your stay.
We appreciate your feedback and would also like to respectfully provide some clarity in some areas.

We are sorry you did not enjoy the modern style cuisine that we offer at VOMO. We do understand some people's palates do not enjoy flavour combinations.

All of our staff do speak English, as well as Fijian. The issue with your hotel account was you had booked via your travel provider and we were liaising with them. The payment for the night in the Beachouse had been invoiced to your agent and we were awaiting these funds. The Fijian front office staff did not want to discuss what the rates were with you, because they were unsure what your travel agent had told you and did not want to get the agent in trouble. We are so sorry if this caused you confusion. The staff didn't want to tell you the wrong thing.

We are sorry you did not find our beds comfortable. They are a luxury brand of Sealy mattress specifically made for hotels and imported from New Zealand, but of course not every bed is to everyone's personal liking and we apologise you did not find them to your satisfaction.

Once we do complete and open the adults pool later this year, we will open the Rocks Restaurant and Bar for adults more frequently.

On an island, we need to generate our own power and the hum of these generators can from time to time be heard if the wind is blowing in that direction, which it occasionally does. Most of the time you cannot hear them.

The group tipping we operate ensures that not just the spa ladies or the porters get a tip but the person who replenishes your complimentary mini bar, the gardener who maintains the garden, the snorkel instructor and the kitchen hand, gets a share in the tips that go towards making your island experience what it is.

We do not close our pool, however on most evenings, the guests are dining around it for dinner out under the stars.

We have taken note of your comments regarding our flat spa tables, thank you.

We are very pleased to read that for the most part you did enjoy your time at VOMO and we would sincerely love to ensure a better experience if you are to return with your family at a later time. No guest is ever a nuisance and we want to have that opportunity again to showcase the VOMO hospitality we are renowned for.

Fiji airways has some wonderful specials from time to time and we hope you can take advantage of one of those and visit us again soon. Please have your agent email us and we will ensure we find a time when we can offer you one of our great deals.

Again thank you for your time and feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Dont get me wrong, this is a nice island with beautiful beaches and all but that is about it. Food and service were mediocre at best or maybe we just expected a lot more. Service team was more on their phones and joking around, they came when you turned around and ask for them to come. We kept on hearing about Vomo when it came to food but something must have changed. Beach villas were good but again, they are just beach villas. Small with no plunge pool or much space to spend much time inside. You need to go to the main pool which is large but it feels like that you are on a serving platter as you are being watched by everyone in the restaurant. Friendliness is not as genunine as in the less discovered parts of Fiji which is from where we came. They are obviously use to tourist but it is always a shame that some of the natural smile gets lost over time.
We snorkeled a lot and went up on the Mt Vomo which is really the only other activity you can do if you want to be more active. Nothing wrong overall but we just expected more on many fronts.
Stay at Vomo if you want to just be on a beautiful Island, you will enjoy Vomo! Not for us...sorry.

Room tip: They got newer and very nice beach residence with pools, they seem nice but also very expensive. Hilltop villas are outdated.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank africaorganic
Karen M, Director of Sales at Vomo Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Bula Africaorganic
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are pleased you thought the beaches of VOMO were beautiful.

We are sorry you felt our food and service were not up to standard, as this is an area we pride ourselves on and for the majority, they find this to be well above par. We have an evolving culinary team with new exciting additions to our talented line up, happening soon.

Our Vomo family of staff usually provide genuine Fijian hospitality, however we are sorry if you felt we fell short in that area and something we have addressed with our team, especially the use of phones.

We are so pleased you discovered our wonderful snorkeling and hope you took advantage of the complimentary daily snorkel safari as well. The hiking up Mt Vomo is also a very popular activity and we are so fortunate to have a mountain and great hiking trails and summits to explore on our private island.

Whilst swimming and relaxation is high on the agenda for most, we do also have available a 9 hole pitch and putt golf course, a tennis court and a gym and all of these are free to use. We have sailing craft, windsurfers, stand up paddle boards and single and double kayaks. Again, these are complimentary to use. We also have a very well equipped and run PADI Dive Centre where you can become a certified diver on island if you are not already. Excursions by boat to go fishing or island hopping are also very popular and we even operate a visit to a local Fijian Village so that guests can see how Fijian people still live somewhat as they have for centuries in their communities. Our community program, Pack For A Purpose, offers you the chance to bring clothes and books etc to gift to the villagers. The little island of Vomo Lai Lai is rented out each day to one couple who want to have a private picnic and swim and snorkel in complete isolation on their very own tiny pristine island and enjoy a gourmet picnic. That would have been a wonderful activity for you to partake in and perhaps we fell short in ensuring you knew all of these activities were available to you.

We are pleased you found Vomo to be beautiful and thanks again for your feedback.
The Vomo Family.