See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 June 2016

We didn’t stay in the Royal Hotel : when we arrived, the hotel was full and the lady at the reception was pretty unfriendly, not ready to help us to find another place. We went to the very close Clara’s Holiday Lodge… that I recommend a lot !! It’s cheaper (50 $ double room with breakfast) and clean, the family owner is friendly.

We come back there the day after to arrange a tour : the lady (another one) was even more unfriendly. She didn’t want to do anything : she just said us to call Epi’s Tour and she refused to call on behalf of us : “we don’t have phone”… This is a lie ! A man finally accepted to phone and we paid 2 $ for this call !

By the way, Internet here is much more expensive than in the Internet Café in town (2 $/hr).

Just run way !

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2016

The photos give the hotel much more credit than the actual place which needs some signficant restorative work - the hot water heaters barely produced any hot water.

The staff however, are incredibly friendly and helpful and are always willing to help.

Room Tip: Just remember - there is a tuna factory nearby. The whole area smells like tuna.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank AusAnia
Reviewed 20 January 2016

I stayed in a garden bungalow. It was cheap but run down and not even very clean. I had to clean the bedside cabinet before I wanted to put anything on it - it was filthy. The coffee table in the sitting room is a hazard. The corners of the glass looked really sharp and I tried hard to avoid them but failed on my last night - I cut my leg. Breakfast poor.

On a more positive note, the staff were friendly and helpful, I had aircon in my bedroom and the inside of the actual hotel was quaint.

Room Tip: Can't comment on the bedrooms in the hotel itself but avoid the garden bungalows.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2015

The Royal is Fiji's oldest working hotel. Like stepping back in time, it reflects the old world charm of yesteryear. The staff were all courteous and helpful as well as a great source of information about Levuka. My daughter and I stayed four nights, enjoyed the people and heritage and would the Royal to anyone who likes unique experiences when travelling.

Room Tip: Ed bure is across the road from the water but gets some road noise. The rooms in the hotel may be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2015

A step back in time. We stayed 3 nights in this rambling old hotel. Full of character and characters. We stayed in the family room; spacious, comfy old cane chairs, windows opening on both sides with a view to the park and a view to the sea. If you're a light sleeper the thin walls could be an issue but we had good neighbours and I always wear ear plugs. the lobby is so interesting and the free breakfast each morning in the olde dining room was served cheerfully each day. Hard to find staff sometimes but once you know where to look it was easy. Wifi was available for a small fee but probably like most places in Levuka wifi was a struggle. Loved this town.

Room Tip: Family room costs a little bit more but has the corner position, a small kitchenette and great views out two Windows.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple