The Majestic Malacca
US$ 65
US$ 49
US$ 53
US$ 51
Casa del Rio Melaka(Melaka)
US$ 171
US$ 45
US$ 105
Travelocity
1,515 results
All reviewsspa villageytl hotelslychee teacolonial stylethe riveroriginal mansionytl groupmodern buildingopen bathroomcolonial feelfour poster bedjonker streetwalking tourclaw footturn down servicesmall poolkampung morten
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Beautiful and charming hotel located in the heart of town. Rooms are very nicely decorated, maintaining the Peranakan heritage. Rooms come with complimentary internet, however no wireless - something for the hotel to improve on. However wireless internet is available at the lobby and common areas. Service staff are absolutely amazing from front desk to wait staff at the breakfast room. Special compliments to Ivy from the front desk who made my re - checkin a breeze (I extended a night after a business stay).

Breakfast at the hotel is also a charming experience - you get to pick from a small buffet spread, but also will have the option to order from an a la carte menu, so many choices!

The hotel is also located right next to Chinatown, and just 15mins away from Jonker Street, an easy walk instead of taking a cab and risked being stuck in a jam to Jonker Street. Very convenient.

I will definitely be back again when I am next in Melaka!

Room Tip: Room 501 gives you a great view of the river, and it's a corner room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MuffinEats
MajesticMalacca, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to know that your stay was pleasant. We have noted your comment and will look into the area for the betterment. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

We were 2 couples from Singapore who had driven up to Malacca over the 7-8 July weekend.

The Good
1) enjoyed the vintage look of the hotel and room which included the four claw bathtub and nice soft beds.
2) enjoyed the breakfast, contrary to the bad experience cited in earlier reviews. Yes, it's not five star service (we also had to figure out by ourselves that we could order food items off a menu on the table) and yes, the breakfast is simple compared to other hotels with huge buffet spreads. However, I appreciated the quality of each dish. Loved the hash browns. :)
3) gave us complimentary late check out at 1.30 pm.

The Not-so-good
1) the location isn't great. While it's theoretically near Jonker and the main shopping area, traffic in Malacca is horrible on the weekends. So if you drive to Jonker or shopping area, it takes a significant amount of patience. If you walk, be prepared to sweat it out in a polluted town on streets not conducive to walking.
2) the service provided by recep was poor. My husband had accidentally left the privacy sign on when we left for Jonker on Day 1. This meant no turn down service which included a serving of the nonya kueh. I called reception to ask for the kueh and some water. She agreed to send them up. However, the bellboy sent up the water and no kueh. I had to call recep again to ask, only to be told now that it was not possible to provide us with kueh as they were perishable. This made no sense to me given that we had asked for the kueh past 11 pm and the card left by housekeeping had indicated that they had tried to enter our room at 8+ pm for turndown service.

I asked the recep girl (likely to be different from the night before) on day 2 ie 8 July in the morning around 10+ am to ask housekeeping to make up my room ie room 507. She agreed to do so, however, when I returned to my room at 12.30 pm, I was shocked to see that my room hadn't been made up as I had requested. Maybe it's not hotel policy to make up rooms on the day of departure? However no one had explained this to me when I had made the request. Poor communication skills exhibited by the recep girl on duty that day marred my experience.

To end off the experience, recep called us at 12.30 pm, asking why we had not checked our. We had to remind them that we had been given complimentary late check out till 1.30 pm. Maybe such information should be entered into the system or more clearly communicated amongst the staff.

Generally I would say, lovely hotel, nice ambience, ok to stay there, but for the price you pay there (Myr614.80 a night), it may not be worth it if you expect good service.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Youngauntysg

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Noted on your comments and we will take the corrective measures for our further improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Charming, lovely service! Beautifully decorated, amazing spa... The food was delicious, the staff well trained and gracious. It was a divine experience from start to finish!

Room Tip: Visited in Sept. 2009
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DWA2010
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to know that your stay was pleasant. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

First day at The Majestic seemed so promising. Service was good and we got a suite instead of a normal room which I had booked instead because I was told that there was no other available room. Lucky us.
Who knew second day could become so bad. Breakfast was included in the booking I made so we headed for breakfast at the restaurant. We went in the restaurant and I thought like most 5 star hotels the service staff would come and greet us and show us to our seats BUT No. We just stood there for awhile like idiots and while the waiters were busy attending other people dining, we just asked one if its ok if we just sat anywhere available. So we went ahead and sat ourselves down. At least after that a waitress came to us to attend to us after we sat to ask if we wanted coffee or tea. After that we were looking around and were left wondering if this was a breakfast buffet or ala carte order or what cause nobody bothered to explain what we were suppose to do. I mean if it was a buffet it can't be just noodles or nasi lemak for choices right as I could see. And we saw other people eating other stuff that weren't on display. So we just sat down wondering what we were suppose to do before asking one of the waiter. And even his explaination after we asked was just pick something from the menu board. Ok. Worse service ever for a five star hotel just for breakfast. How hard is it to take some time and kindly explain to your guest how breakfast runs there.
Then when we were finally eating our food, amazingly for a air con place on the 2nd floor tons of mosquitos were attacking our feet. It was so itchy that its quite unbearable to just sit there longer to eat. So we went back to our room instead.
Best is when I came back to singapore and checked my bank account I found out that this hotel even took a safe deposit on top of the hotel fee without even informing me of it! Ridiculous. Every hotel I have ever stayed in in my entire life so far has always Always informed me during check in when they were withholding extra cash. This one deceives you by saying they are just verifying your card. I felt it was strange when they didn't inform me that they were gonna take a deposit too but since they didn't mention it, I just thought there was none then. Now I will remember to always ask the hotel. In case of events like this. Whatsmore I don't mind them withholding more money after check in but I had wanted to pay in cash because it takes some time for the malaysia bank to release to overseas bank later on and I didn't want to encounter that. But they didn't even bother to tell me.
Even though the room was so awesome, I will never want to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kaykay711
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Ms. Kay,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. We have noted on them and will personally look into the areas you have mentioned for our continuous improvement. My sincere apologies for all of the inconveniences during your stay with us.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I had a short stay here for business in mid-May. Very clean boutique hotel and room. The room had a vintage clawfoot bathtub, that I just had to take a bath in. and the desserts they left for the turn-down service were quite tasty. I wish I had more time to have spent in Melaka, but if I return, I will be coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business