See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

The guy that runs this place is very nice, sweet, helpful and genuine. We enjoyed staying here for two nights because of him.

We had a double room with A/C which contained a comfy and clean double bed, a dresser with a mirror and a bin. There is only a window that opens into the corridor so no fresh air in any of the rooms. It's an ok size, could very easily fit both our large backpacks in there no prob, didn't feel cramped (we were in room 5).

The two bathrooms at the end of the corridor were ok, just wet rooms with a sink, shower and toilet. Hot water was operated by a switch next to the light switch. Make sure it's in properly or you won't get any hot water. Shower pressure was fine.

For a basic no frills place this guesthouse does the job, there's free tea/coffee and water in the lounge. The main door is secured by electronic key card entry.

My only qualms was the cleanliness, they could put more effort in keeping the place clean and tidy (there's a lot of dusty junk in the lounge!) You have to take your shoes off and wear their old, worn out slippers (unhygienic!) which I thought odd because the floor throughout the guesthouse was always dirty and when I just wore my socks they got covered in grime :-(

It would be better if they actually swept the floor and mopped it with cleaning products, you can see the stains and grime build up which is not very nice (this is true inside and outside of the rooms). The bathroom certainly needs a decent scrub, just don't look at anything closely or it'll gross you out!

Certainly a lot of potential in this place. They just need to pull their fingers out and CLEAN rather than just do the bare minimum.

Would still recommend for budget travelers, though if you are a light sleeper get earplugs. The walls are paper thin, you can hear everything from anyone's room and the lounge. Luckily there was only one other guy staying there so for us noise was not a problem.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

I've been travelling for about 3 months, and I can genuinely say this is the best guesthouse/ hostel I've stayed at. Fantastic value for money and a great location!

The owner goes out if his way to make you feel at home, he even got my bus ticket for me and his wife drove me to the bus stop, because he said a taxi would cost me to much.

Loved it here, home away from home!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 19 January 2013

ok, it really is very cheap and i am not quite sure what i can ask for in return for such a price.

it is true that the owner is really a nice guy, he can give you lots of useful travel information and is really helpful. he even offered to drop me off at the bus station.

the room i was in (single, no a/c, but fan), was a tiny room with a single bed, a mirror and a shelf. there is a window, which i wouldn't call a window, because it actually opens on the corridor, same as the door. so there is no connection to fresh air. this means as well that it is rather hot and you definitely need a fan to get at least the impression that the air is moving...there may be some rooms with a/c, not sure.

there are two hot showers and two toilets that are functioning, i'd have liked it to be a bit cleaner, then again, where there are many people it'll never be really clean...the noise is another thing that i find disturbing, i had to sleep with earplugs, walls are just too thin and there is always somebody making some sort of noise...

the location is good, close to jonker street etc., but there are lots of guesthouses in nice old traditional houses in the old part of melaka, i would check out those before, it'll make your stay more original...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I have been to House of Kititto in Melaka when I travelled in Malaysia this summer. The place is very clean, well maintained and is run by a family. The owner is very friendy, shared some good tips about going around. Since we reached the place after around lunch time, he even offered to have lunch prepared for us. The place is very close to the Jonker's street and hence is walkable from all major attractions. I would very much recommend this place for anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at House of Kititto over the Chinese New Year in 2012. Almost everything in Melaka was fully booked, so we were lucky to find space here. It was a basic room with two single beds and a fan (we would have preferred one bed, but it was our only option). The room itself was clean, as were the beds. The bathrooms, which were down the hall, were nicely clean as well.

The guy who runs the place is friendly and likes to chat up his guests. Once thing I really appreciated is that he asked if I minded if he smoked, which I said I did, so he went outside to light up. Otherwise, he might be inclined to light up indoors, which might annoy some.

The place as a whole seems to be part of the family's house, so there were a lot of people around (or maybe that was just because it was Chinese New Year). It was never very loud and everyone disappeared at night, so it wasn't a problem.

Overall it was a nice place, no worries. If you're looking for a budget accommodation with a short walk to what Melaka has to offer, then this is a great option.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple