“A Quiet Weekdays Getaway at The Sterling”

The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka
Ranked #26 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed at the Sterling from 16 July till 18 July. I arrived at the hotel around 4pm. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a hotel staff who helped me with my luggage. I went to the reception to check in (receptionist was very polite) and I was told that the standard room that I booked (Leyton) is experiencing air-cond problem so they upgraded me to Riley, without any extra charge! I was so happy to hear that and I was happier when I see the room. Its huge!

The room has a flat screen tv, mini bar, hair dryer, a sofa and the best part is, my own Jacuzzi. Since I drove all the way from KL, I was looking forward to have a long bath. There is an instruction on how to use the jacuzzi however, upon pressing the water jet function and bubble bath function, it makes a loud jet like sound and the water shoots up the ceiling like a fountain! I find it amusing and shocking at the same time. So I just turn the function off and treat my jacuzzi like a normal bath tub. I enjoyed my bath nonetheless.

I walked to Jonker street (which took me 10mins) to have my dinner. I also walked along the river and watch the river cruise.

Breakfast was awesome. I chose the western set on my 1st day and heritage set on my 2nd day. I enjoyed both equally as the portion is big. The teo chew porridge was so delicious. The service was efficient although there was only one waiter serving the guests.

I enjoyed my welcome drink on my 2nd night I was there at the Balcony as the view was breathtaking and the server, Iman was friendly and he shared wonderful stories with me whilst I nurse my drinks.

On my last day, I call the reception and asked whether I could extend my stay till 1pm. The friendly reception happily extend my stay and advise me to bring my access card to the reception if I'm going out of the hotel so that they can reprogram the card. As I just need some more time to pack up my stuff and enjoy my bathtub, I told her that I'm not going out and will only be in my room.

Checkout was a breeze and a staff helped me to take my luggage to my car.

I had a great time at the The Sterling and I hope to come back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
TheSterlingMalacca, Manager at The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Dear Tioman Chick,

We cannot express how much it means to us when guests take their time to share their experience both good and bad about their stay here at The Sterling without which, we will be unable to focus on areas which we lack.

Unfortunately (or fortunately in your case) our air-conditioning system experienced a catastrophic failure affecting part of our hotel during your period of stay which resulted in us having to readjust the room allocation as required.

Our jacuzzis are standard jacuzzis and operate no different from others that are available elsewhere. Perhaps more care on our part is needed to explain to guests how to operate it. The jacuzzi air jets operate at best when water levels are optimum, filled over these air outlets.
We have now asked our staff to first inquire from guests checking in to these rooms if they will need help to operate it.

Thank you too for singling out Iman who is one of our pioneer staffs for his friendly and efficient service at The Balcony.

We are happy to note that overall, your stay was a good one and hope that you will share your experience with your friends.

The Sterling, Malacca

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka

Reviewed 18 July 2012

In Malacca, I have experienced 3 hotels, namely Renaissance, Majestic, and The Sterling. The Sterling is the one I would not come back to, with the price it charges.

I chose Sterling for my trip in July 2012 after learning it is a boutique hotel just opened in late 2011, and most of the comments on TripAdvisers are positive, despite it doesn't have a gym and swimming pool.

The location is great, several different historical spots are within walking distance. The colonial style exterior look of the hotel is beautiful, but inside the hotel, definitely a lot of room for improvement, especially the room, which I believe is the most important consideration for travelers when choosing a hotel.

The room:
Taking the advices from some people on Trip-advisers, I selected Riley Room which is not facing the main street, as according to them would be noisy at night.

There was no view in the room, what we saw was basically the entrance of the hotel and roof tops of nearby houses. One of the window panels had mushroom-look leaf molds at the bottom corner where was reachable by hand, i.e. removable by the housekeeping team. No drawers either at the working desk or bed-side, therefore I had to lay all my stuff on the desk. In the wardrobe, there were only 2 clothes hangers in addition to the 2 bathrobes which already looked worn out and like it needed a good wash (stains around the lapel and cuffs). So I had to call the front desk to have someone bring in more clothes hangers.

Water at the bathtub at most could be called luke-warm, and the volume of the water was only moderate (I informed front desk the 2nd day and it was better after that.) The washing basin was a single basin and a tiny one at that. Bench top space beside the basin was limited, which could hardly accommodate my skin-care products. I had to keep them in the small drawers under the bench top.

The room had poor sound insulation, I could hear the noise of closing doors of other rooms, and I believe it was not only my room had such problem.

I have no serious negative impression about their service but yet with the rate they charge, several details & basics should have been taken care of, e.g. in addition to what mentioned above, the reception executive who led us to the room wore the uniform alright but slippers when she walked out from the front desk; breakfast menu attached a sign saying this is a hand-made menu but the one we got was torn at the folding line. Breakfast quality was OK but service was slow.

One thing I appreciated about the room was that there was the free wifi.

I paid RM$500 on weekday & $600 on weekend, before tax, service charge, and a surprising $2 heritage fee per night. The heritage fee was neither shown on internet hotel booking websites nor briefed by the employee when we called Sterling to check room availability and price. It was the 1st and only time presented to me on the bill while checking out.

Overall speaking, with the rate I paid and comparing it with the other 2 hotels of similar price range, I consider this is not value for money and will not return to it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LalaD123

Dear LalaD123

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Sterling, Malacca.

Being a small luxury boutique hotel, our staff are multi tasked and our colleague who checked you in was both working in Housekeeping as well as front office that day. As such, she was in our hotel issued slippers to enable her to work in the rooms when required.

For example, our door to door service also sees our Manager doubling up as driver as and when required, our our concierge Guest Assistant also helping in service for breakfast.

We make no excuses for your observation on the window panels, and have reminded our staff to be more vigilant.

The training of our staff here in The Sterling emphasizes on the need to provide a standard service that is available to all guests without compromise.

And being a small boutique hotel, our rooms do have different configuration due to the design of the building. For bathrooms with limited space such as racks, we have installed additional glass racks such as The Windsor after similar observations from other guests.

From your observation of The Riley, which incidentally is the first that we have received, we will definitely look into the same to ensure that other guests will not face the same predicament.

As for the view of the surrounding, we are restricted by building bylaws in view that we are right in the middle of the heritage zone (whereby construction is limited by height to only 45feet). Of the luxury hotels in Malacca, Casa Del Rio and Majestic which are priced well above The Sterling, do not have height restrictions and as such have room with views.

We do humbly believe that we are not in the same category as the other hotels above, but despite the lack of view from your point, we have also had positive comments about rooftop vantage when observing the sunset at The Balcony. In any case we thank you for the opportunity to also put forth our justification.

We would like to thank all guests, once again for listing out the areas where we need improvement, as without these, we will still be floating with our many compliments received here in Trip advisor and other renowned Online Travel sites.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed a night at The Sterling. Found the hotel through tripadvisor and was not expecting much. I usually stay at Hotel Equatorial whenever I'm in Melaka. The Sterling turned out to be a hidden gem.
ROOMS & HOTEL: the rooms are of decent size with a King sized bed, small side tables and chairs, 4 very strategically placed power points, excellent shower facilities (rain shower, shower head & body massage jets). Toilet space is efficiently used. The bathroom floor is non-slip and dark coloured. Theme of room is modern chic - clean lines, dark colours and comfortable. The parking is good, no underground carpark to navigate. Security post faces the carpark lots. The hotel is new and looks well taken care of till now. Food for breakfast is not a huge variety but its serviceable.
My room's aircom (all the rooms were affected) broke down and the service staff were very apologetic and.polite. they managed to swiftly deploy a fan for every room to ensure air circulation. They also waived charges for the room for that night. Prior to this, the aircon was locked for whatever reason, when we called the recep, the maintenence came by the room really quickly. All staff whom I encountered all spoke really good english and problems were resolved efficiently.
LOCATION: it is about 5 mins walk to jonker street via jln bunga raya. For shopping at Hattens, it's a walkable distance if you have a map. Should take about 10mins.

I would stay with The Sterling again as the service is more personable and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012
TheSterlingMalacca, Manager at The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear MoltonBrownCow,

The Sterling, Malacca has now been operating for a little over 8 months, and we have had many different challenges but nothing quite like this.

However, nothing catastrophic until this past weekend in which our outdoor Air Conditioning compressor failed resulting in a 'lockout' of control systems.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. We are pleased to inform that we did mange to acquire some portable air coolers due largely to our proximity to a distributor down the street which happened to be our friend! We got the items delivered at around 11pm, when we experienced the breakdown. Though this only served as a relief to the inconvenience.

We are also happy to inform all our guests that the contractors has since address the problem, and are currently affecting the repairs.

Here at The Sterling, Malacca, we employ local staff and our prerequisite for frontline personnel is the ability to communicate with our international guests.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on all other areas, to which we are most thankful for.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Like all the other reviews, The Sterling has great new boutique or family style rooms at decent prices. One memorable experience - the staff takes your order for breakfast the night before, and leaves you wondering and expecting the breakfast to come. The next morning, you'll be wowed at the top floor for brekkies and a view of the nearby surrounds. i chose the Local Breakfast, Nasi Lemak (I've included the pix), and it was delicious. i looked forward to returning to the hotel every day i was in Melaka, and i'm sure you will too. Keep up the good work @ the Sterling.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Alephant,

Thank you for your kind words and sharing of your experience with visitors here at Trip Advisor.

We are but a small boutique hotel, and to ensure that we achieve what we set out to do, certain services needed to be implemented to ensure that the optimum is provided.

Given that we do not have a buffet line, we need to ensure that our breakfast is adequate for our guests, and especially on full weekends, our staff will gauge the requirement of our guests by taking their orders early. This is so that we can hot serve our breakfast when the guests come in to The Loft for breakfast.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

The Management and Staff of The Sterling, Malacca

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stumbled upon this hotel through TA.

Have initially wanted to stay at a hotel along Jonker Street but after reading the review on TA, decided to give this hotel a try.

Sterling is not located along Jonker Street but it is within walking distance, hence, away from the noisy street. Once you step into the hotel, it gives you a rather peaceful feel.

Stayed in the deluxe room and it was beautifully decorated. Although there is no bathtub, the great rain shower made it up. The bed was comfortable too.

The staff at the reception was very helpful, to the extent that they volunteered to help me pay for a parking fine and scanned me the receipt (as proof of payment) when payment was made.

Will stay at this hotel again when I visit Melaka..maybe upgrade to the room with the jacuzzi...since the review of this room was good.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Dear Jacqtan,

Here at The Sterling, Malacca, we try to stay out of our guest's way yet be on hand should they need us to assist them in any way.

In Melaka, the public car parking system is similar to what Singapore has, and these coupons are readily available in most newstands. We also have these tickets at the Reception counter.

As in your case, we are most ready to assist in having the fines paid to ensure that your stay was as convenient as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the furture and do hope that you will find the time to experience our much talked about jacuzzis.

The Management and Staff of The Sterling, Malacca