“Best quality: Hot shower”
Review of Hotel Hallmark Inn

Hotel Hallmark Inn
Ranked #87 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The room smelt unfresh, carpet looked old and somewhat dirty. Thankfully towels seemed clean enough. Traffic and cooking noises very loud at the corner room. The toilet layout was a bit inconvenient.

Counter staff are civil. Breakfast is basic - toaster, white bread, and various jams, fried noodles/rice, 1/2 types of tropical fruits, baked beans, etc. Coffee served is mediocre. Water dispenser (hot and cold) was helpful.

Stay away unless you NEED to stay in this area. The grocery store very nearby has some basic stuff, but shopkeeper will try (nonchalantly) to sell you something expensive (e.g. bird's nest). I went there 2 times, each time he tried his luck.

Room Tip: Stay away from corner near kitchen/traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed in this hotel twice.
First time checked in at 11:00pm, it cost me RM90+ and they give me small room small bed (look like a room for solo traveller). I don't mind the small room, because the furniture is very good and got water boiler to make cup noddle/free coffee. Bathroom is very nice too with hot water. Not bad, RM90+ only with free breakfast.

Second time checked in at 1:00am cost me RM108, this time they give me big room and big bed (only RM10 different and the room is a lot bigger! )

3rd time I went there at about 4:00pm wanted to check in but they told me all room fully booked already! After that time never go to that hotel again. (Wondering are they lie to me, may be they don't like solo traveller ?)
(I prefer walk in, seldom make booking in advance)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We had no choice but to stay here one night as all other hotels that we wanted were fully booked. Location wise is slightly away from Jonker Street but still manageable. In the vicinity, there is Jalan Bunga Raya where you can find good eateries selling localfare and also make-shift stalls along a dimly-lit lane at night selling shellfish, clams and BBQ cuttlefish which is vey popular with locals and tourists.

As I drive, I find the car park at the back of the hotel rather small with not many lots. It has a gate which closes up at night so I guess it's pretty safe parking your car there.

Front desk staff were rather dull and disinterested. Check-in was kind of deadpan. No one greeted us the minute we walked in although there were three people handling the counter. They looked bored, glum and without zeal. The Chinese man who checked us in was quite rude and curt when he asked for my booking reference because I could only produce my booking voucher electronically as I had no time to print the hard copy. I couldn't help but to slash marks for service and first impression.

The two rooms we acquired were quite okay in terms of room size. Wouldn't say it's new as some of the fixtures were falling apart.....could do with some refurbishment. Generally they are quite clean but the bathrooms do smell a bit. The beds are quite comfortable except that the bedsheets and quilt are very well used and washed so the material kind of looks and feels rough. They are also badly stained. The sheets also didn't smell fresh so I insisted that they had them changed whereby housekeeping obliged with much apologies. Wifi reception in the rooms was pretty strong.

The breakfast spread at the cafeteria was pathetic.......unappetising and needless to say, taste bad. We just ate whatever was 'edible' and then hopped over to the coffee shop just across the street to gorge on the delicious Wonton Noodles and Handmade noodles. We even had second helpings. The coffee shop seems to be very popular with locals and tourists alike. However the coffee there is mediocre.

Check out was a breeze. However, reception told us that we had to pay for a bottle of mineral water which we did not consume. Anyway, I checked their mini-bar upon check-in and also noticed 4 cans of coke and 3 bottles of mineral water, so where is the 4th bottle? Only Hallmark Inn Hotel can answer that question and of course I did not pay a cent for it. I wasn't born yesterday to be milked by them!

Overall, it wasn't a pleasant or comfortable stay at this hotel and we would not stay here again as there are much better and pleasant hotels offering value for money stays in mesmerizing Malacca.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ganadeline
Reviewed 14 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel treat all guests as 'would be thieves'. Its as simple as that. I read one of the long review here on tripadvisor (which warns me to stay away) but went ahead to make booking. Big mistake. The chinese guy in long sleeve at the reception is very gung-ho. No eye contact when talking and extremely rude. I wonder how he ended up at front desk. My patience hit limit when he avoided several questions regarding my bills (they charged me for minibar things that i didnt even touch). Gave him a piece of my mind and he finally gave up when the crowd started to swell. Its not the money. Its the rudeness that irks me the most.

Melaka is a wonderful place. Dont spoil your trip by staying in this hotel. I learnt the hard way.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank FaroukVanNistelrooy
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Check in was quick. Room was quite clean although it was a smoking room. My room was 510. I do believe the air-con is placed in the wrong position. Not all part of the room could receive the cool air so it took a while. However, breakfast was a bit disappointing. The food was a bit below average.

Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: Walking distance to the Red House, River & Jonker Street. Takes around 15 minutes walk.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family