“Best service ever!”

Jonker Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Just returned from Melaka and I decided that I should do this review as soon as possible. Prior to our trip, we had been researching for which hotel in Melaka to stay at. As there were 4 of us and we wanted to stay in a single room, we found our options rather limited. I communicated with several hotels via email and Jonker Boutique Hotel was one of the friendliest. The others that I emailed include Holiday Inn - the administrative person took several email to understand what I was talking about and although their website reservation claimed to be able to fit 4 people into their suite, their admin person claimed that this was not so. Other hotels that I tried included Courtyard @ Heeren (but I read on TA that it was very squeezy for 4 in a room) and casa del rio just busted our budget.

Back to Jonker Boutique hotel - although they may not have in-house spa or pool or daily breakfasts like the bigger hotels, they have extremely good service. They were prompt to acquiesce to our multiple requests - 1. they arranged for transport to and from Melaka Sentral bus terminal for us for a small fee, 2. they carried up a chair up the multiple flights of stairs for us in the middle of the night (there are a lot of stairs leading to our room), 3. when we requested for recommendations for a spa, the receptionists (I think Jasmine and Amy - sorry if i get your names wrong) automatically recommended Scents and Senses (fantastic!) and proceeded to help us make booking with the spa and arrange for transport within 10 minutes! 4. they also automatically allowed us to have a later check-out time when we informed that our coach won't be leaving so early. For the warm service, i'm giving an excellent rating.

I would highly recommend this hotel for those traveling in a group of 3 or 4, want to stay in a hotel in prime location but with reasonable pricing, want warm and excellent service. If you are looking for free daily breakfast/spa/pool - stay somewhere else!

Several things to note: level 2 involves climbing heaps of stairs - this is not suitable for the elderly. And only one keycard will be given per room.

Lastly for those traveling from Singapore to Melaka on coach - try not to take 707! the buses were terrible - it jerked at every turn and the seats were not comfortable. The most comfortable coach we saw along the way was five stars coach. (p.s. I'm writing this because I saw a review on TA when i googled for good coaches from singapore to melaka and someone recommended 707).

Room Tip: if you can try not to stay at room 209 (where I stayed) it's the furthest and involves the most...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank memoriezz
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We had a company function at Holiday Inn Melaka in Dec 2011 but we didn't manage to get a room to stay a night before the event since it was fully booked. Hence, my colleagues suggested to stay at Jonker Boutique Hotel for a night.
My colleagues already checked-in to the hotel in the afternoon while I was only get to know about the hotel when we have finished our work around 9pm. When they lead me to the hotel and turning into the parking space provided at the back, I was a bit scared by the exterior of the hotel because of the design and also for me, it was quite dark.
When I stepped in the lobby, wow...it is so cozy, clean, quiet and the staff/ the owner of the hotel handed me the keys. The staircase is a bit narrow, but it is newly renovated. When I entered the room, wow...it is so big. I like the design. It's simple but comfortable. The bathroom is unique and clean. I like the tiles, it's a checked box (black & white). They are so care about the customers and placed a wooden stool/ stairs in the bathroom to ease us to step into the shower area.
The bed is very comfortable and very big. The lights and the set up of the room made me feel like i am back to 1970s.
The only setback is I found some ants in the basin, not so sure why but maybe the owner can look into it.
For nearby amenities, it's superb. You are in the Jonker Street where you can have everything there. Food, souvenirs...
For family, business or leisure, you can stay here for reasonable price. Good service & nice room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank cjwa_79
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I chose this wonderful hotel based on useful Tripadvisor reviews. It really live up to my expectations!!!

** staffs are very friendly and helpful
** bedroom is big and clean, love the big shower room with rainshower
** superb location, in the heart of Chinatown

I will strongly recommend this hotel to all my friends & colleagues :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank lili9888
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Plus:
Clean nice rooms
Double windows keep noise levels to acceptable levels during stage performerances till 10:30 pm on Fri. Sat. Sun. evenings during very lively night market
Staff very helpful: carrying suitcases upstairs to rooms, advice on where to eat and what to do
Free unguarded parking behind the hotel
Unsurpassed location in historic Melaka within walking distance of most historical sites
Minus:
No elevator so must walk stairs to rooms none of which on groundfloor, but staff very helpful taking suitcases up and downstairs, even the ladies do it, amazing!
Free Wifi but even with four routers reception still patchy at best if busy, need more broadband!
No in hotel breakfast but next door Jonker cafe is OK, also lot of chinese eateries nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back for the weekend are preferable.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Haje1946_11
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I picked the hotel based on the reviews I found on trip advisor. Previously, we always stayed in the large 5 star hotels but I wanted a different experience and I love walking in the China town area.
I had a room on the top floor: high ceilings, a large king size bed, a beautiful black and white tiled bathroom and a sitting area. The airco was silent and the television very large.
Staff were extremely friendly. I didn't notice any street voice after 10 pm.
The restaurant is very basic, but that is not a problem since there are so many restaurants within walking distance.
Absolutely recommended.

Room Tip: The hotel has no lift - ask for a room on the first floor if you have problems climbing staircases o...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family