“Homely and utterly relaxing haven amidst the tumult of Calangute” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Aleixo

Casa Aleixo
Ranked #37 of 202 Calangute B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Homely and utterly relaxing haven amidst the tumult of Calangute”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

I chose Casa Aleixo in Goa because of the reviews it received on tripadvisor and was not disappointed.

Since I didn't know which area of Goa to stay in, I chose to go for an area with a high selection of restaurants, and therefore chose the Calangute/Baga stretch. On a side note, before I address the hotel itself, this strech is very built-up, the road is narrow and over-crowded with cars, taxis, rickshaws, pedestrians, cattle and scooters. It felt dangerous at times and frankly was the biggest turn-off of that area. It does however offer a wide array of shops, restaurants, bars, beach shacks and clubs, so keep this in mind when choosing your Goa destination.

Casa Aleixo is located right off the main road, but thanks to its beautiful large front garden, you will forget this as soon as you've turned into the driveway.
I started corresponding with Wilfred, the owner, a couple of weeks before our trip and if I wasn't yet convinced to stay there from the reviews, his prompt , friendly and detailed responses certainly did. He agreed to accommodate us outside of his regular opening period - at the end of October - prior to his planned opening in November.
We booked three rooms for the group of five adults that we were and upon arrival were given the choice of which rooms we wanted to stay in of the five air-conditioned rooms on the first floor. The first floor is spacious and airy and provides ample common space, ideal in our case, since we could sit on the outdoor terrace or in the living/dining/reading room and enjoy each other's company.
The rooms are basic, but very functional and spacious, with clean and well-functioning bathrooms. The beds were on the hard side, but the staff were more than accommodating when I requested an additional mattress for extra softness.

The staff deserves a special mention for their friendly and discreet service. They went out of their way to help make our stay comfortable. They were always prompt to serve us, be it in the house or by the pool.
The pool and the garden at the back of the house are what truly lend its haven-like quality to Casa Aleixo. The whole area is beautifully maintained and laid out, and cuts one off from the hustle and bustle of Calangute. We spent the most relaxing day lazing in the shade of the beautiful trees, swimming in the refreshing pool and observing colourful butterflies and birds.
Casa Aleixo offers a selection of Continental (included in room rate), American or Goan breakfasts. Go for the Goan bread, even with the Continental and ask for fresh local fruits (delicious sweet bananas).

Wilfred arranged our airport transfers and our sightseeing tour to Old Goa with a very reliable and clean private taxi company. They are more expensive than catching a taxi on the street, but guaranteed vehicles large enough to accommodate all five of us and working a/c.

If I had to find one minus to Casa Aleixo, it would probably be its location in the middle of the Calangute-Baga stretch, since you have to count a good 20 minutes walk in either direction to reach the restaurants and beaches of Calangute or Baga, or take taxis which will set you back Rs. 100 to either centre.

I would recommend Casa Aleixo to anyone looking for a friendly, clean, beautiful retreat in the middle of this busy area. Thanks to Wilfred and his staff for making our stay so enjoyable and memorable. I guarantee we will be back!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
desouzawm, Owner at Casa Aleixo, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
Hello !
Your very generous appreciation is a great source of inspiration for all of us at Casa Aleixo. Thanks very much for your gracious presence and kind words.

Wilfred
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
AHMEDABAD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

From the moment we spoke on the phone to spending our first night to leaving was nothing short of meeting, living and leaving some old friends. The hotel itself and surrounding made me feel so relaxed. Within hours I was as chilled out as I would have been in my own private villa. The location was stunning

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

Earlier this year, I traveled (alone) to India for the first time, and landed at Casa Alexio in Goa. I couldn't have been more lucky. The place is beautiful, well located, and impeccably clean. Far more impressive, however, were the owners of the establishment. On my first night in this foreign place, Wilfred (one of the owners) knocked on my door and invited me to have dinner with him and his wife. Knowing that I was alone, he brought me down to his family's living area, where we shared (many) glasses of delicious scotch and wine, and freshly caught mackrel and crab legs. As delicious as dinner was, the conversation was even better -- Wilfred's family is from Goa, and he and his wife shared with me many stories about the magical place. By the time I left Goa, six days later, I felt like I was leaving behind friends. All in all, Casa Alexio is as charming as its owners. Don't miss out on the opportunity to stay there.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Varanasi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

Wow...that's what i can all say about our tour...we all had an amazing tym here,especially some romantic tym with my gf...lots of happy moments gaind at this place..have a visit here..i bet u wont regret..

• Stayed September 2009
Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

As we landed in Goa on that hot early summer afternoon we knew our decision of having little bit of adventure by not booking the hotel in advance, was going to be a lot more fun than we could handle.
We were duped by the taxi driver and were forced to see some real cheap no good hotels on Tito lane in Calangute beach area and after no luck and a lot of sweat we broke free from the grip of our smart cabbie. We got lucky as in our first attempt we found this well kept property right by the beach (it’s just 5 minutes walk from the beach). It’s is so beautiful that you would be envious of the owner (Pictures attached). However the highlight of the place is the first class service, courteous staff and little distant though very caring owner, Wilfred. The place is kept in such a way that you would always have all the privacy you would need. We had other fellow residents during our stay and we never realized that till we asked our host. Rooms are air conditioned (NON AC rooms are also available on demand), tastefully decorated and are laced with TV and refrigerator. In the Tariff, breakfast is included and they are courteous enough to change the normal course on demand. Taxi service is also made available if asked for. The location is just perfect as you have Beach, Pubs, Market and ATM right next to the resort. In case you are a Veggie. there is a pure vegetarian food joint just around the corner. If you are heading to Goa for just relaxing, there is an open air Italian place that I would recommend for a quiet dinner and drinks. All in all, with its location, serenity and courteous service Casa Aleixo serves the purpose of making your vacation worth remembering.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calangute
0.3 km away
0.5 km away
Hotel Viva Baga
Hotel Viva Baga
#21 of 193 in Bardez

Been to Casa Aleixo? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK