“Extremely basic amenities, Roaches and bugs everywhere!”

Veronica Guest House
Ranked #25 of 221 Calangute B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Veronica's Guest House though close to beach, is at least a mile away from the main area city market and it takes a good 20-25 minutes walking to Calangute market road. The staff is Kurt and unwelcome. The rooms and the corridors are not cleaned every day unless you explicitly ask them to do so. Although you pay less the least you expect is a clean place to stay. The beds are creaky and the linen is stained and smelt like ...... oh it smelt, okay!
We traveled with friends and the wife and I stayed in a room for 2 which was devoid of sunlight and smelled like it wasn't used since the past 5 years
The only good part about this place was the availability of hot water and the AC was working through out. They also have an in-house generator to support the 50 power-cuts during the day and night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank saviob
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed here for 3 weeks in January 2012, we stayed in room 109 which was fantatstic it has a lovely big balcony, colour tv, air con, fridge and hot and cold water.The location of this guest house is fantastic just 2 mins from the beach and a nice walk from the mad world of Calangute.
Young Joseph is very helpful and always on hand to help out with any issues you may have as is his parents, the resturant that is next to the guest house serves excellent food at good prices 50 rupees for Dal fry you cannot moan about that. If this is your 1st trip to Goa or been many times i would defo recommend Veronica and try and get room 109 you will not be disappointed, we loved every minuete of our time there

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 21and
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Hello,
I have been visiting goa quite often (almost like every year) for quite some time now during our summer holidays in Germany.
And I have stayed at Veronica guest house in the past and also been recommending it to others.

I used to like it for the calm/homely feel it had, but it looks like with time; the place and the attitude of the owner has changed quite a bit towards the negative side.
There are many things which has annoyed me recently when I wanted to make another visit.
Firstly, they do not go by the tariff they mention on their websites, and do not even consider talking properly to their regular guests even if we are booking quite in advance.
They do not even bother about their potential guests, we need to follow it up with them over emails and phone calls, many times before getting a proper response (which in fact was a mere copy paste).

The Television doesnt work, and the so-called free Wi-Fi has to be requested many times for every session (with frequent disconnections too of course). The rooms themselves have considerably deterroirated in the recent past and makes the visit more uncomfortable.
More recently, I came to know from one of my friends too who made a visit on my suggestion, that they were charged more than what was agreed before the booking, that was most disappointing and embarassing on my part for having recommended the guest house to them.
I would definitely NOT recommend Veronica Guest house to anyone, if they want a peaceful, comfortable and a lovely holiday in Goa.
I wouldn't give any rating to this guest house if it were possible.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank karenza_w
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at Veronica in 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year 2011.
The room was very dirty and alive with bugs and ants everywhere.
My toothbrush was filled with ants....the madress was alive....etc.........

After 5 days I had clean bedcovers and towels but no cleaning until I asked for it.

During X mas and New Year the place was fully booked and very noisy 24 hours a day. Besides there were rebuildning going on and loud music from the restaurant acros.
However, everybody was nice and friendly and very helpful.

Since I had perpaid my room I was stuck and could not move.

Joseph is a nice and helpful man and Pankaj (who is the caretaker of the restaurant acros the yard) is also ever so friendly and helpful.

I have never stayed in a guest house in Goa before and I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Klitholm
Reviewed 16 December 2011

The map provided by the guest house website doesn't have the North sign, so we oriented the map wrongly and gone to the other side and couldn't find the guest house and they didn't provide information on google maps which make it difficult to locate.
After we got lost, we call up the guest house and ask them to pick us up but after waiting for 15 mins, no one is coming and we decided to find our ways to the guest house.
Overall the guest house is clean, the owner is nice and helpful.
It is having free wifi connection but we couldn't receive the signal even staying in the first room which is nearest to the reception area. We have to come out near the reception area to get wifi.
The guest house is situated near the beach, so we can easily walked to calagute beach.
It is also having a restaurant which provide basic food, but the taste is just ok.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank bgsay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calangute
0.6 km away
0.2 km away
Zostel Goa
Zostel Goa
#1 of 255 in Calangute

Been to Veronica Guest House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK