“Superb and Clean”

Ranked #27 of 210 Calangute B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Superb and Clean”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed here for 3 weeks in January 2012, we stayed in room 109 which was fantatstic it has a lovely big balcony, colour tv, air con, fridge and hot and cold water.The location of this guest house is fantastic just 2 mins from the beach and a nice walk from the mad world of Calangute.
Young Joseph is very helpful and always on hand to help out with any issues you may have as is his parents, the resturant that is next to the guest house serves excellent food at good prices 50 rupees for Dal fry you cannot moan about that. If this is your 1st trip to Goa or been many times i would defo recommend Veronica and try and get room 109 you will not be disappointed, we loved every minuete of our time there

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 21and
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Germany
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Hello,
I have been visiting goa quite often (almost like every year) for quite some time now during our summer holidays in Germany.
And I have stayed at Veronica guest house in the past and also been recommending it to others.

I used to like it for the calm/homely feel it had, but it looks like with time; the place and the attitude of the owner has changed quite a bit towards the negative side.
There are many things which has annoyed me recently when I wanted to make another visit.
Firstly, they do not go by the tariff they mention on their websites, and do not even consider talking properly to their regular guests even if we are booking quite in advance.
They do not even bother about their potential guests, we need to follow it up with them over emails and phone calls, many times before getting a proper response (which in fact was a mere copy paste).

The Television doesnt work, and the so-called free Wi-Fi has to be requested many times for every session (with frequent disconnections too of course). The rooms themselves have considerably deterroirated in the recent past and makes the visit more uncomfortable.
More recently, I came to know from one of my friends too who made a visit on my suggestion, that they were charged more than what was agreed before the booking, that was most disappointing and embarassing on my part for having recommended the guest house to them.
I would definitely NOT recommend Veronica Guest house to anyone, if they want a peaceful, comfortable and a lovely holiday in Goa.
I wouldn't give any rating to this guest house if it were possible.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank karenza_w
Slagelse, Denmark
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at Veronica in 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year 2011.
The room was very dirty and alive with bugs and ants everywhere.
My toothbrush was filled with ants....the madress was alive....etc.........

After 5 days I had clean bedcovers and towels but no cleaning until I asked for it.

During X mas and New Year the place was fully booked and very noisy 24 hours a day. Besides there were rebuildning going on and loud music from the restaurant acros.
However, everybody was nice and friendly and very helpful.

Since I had perpaid my room I was stuck and could not move.

Joseph is a nice and helpful man and Pankaj (who is the caretaker of the restaurant acros the yard) is also ever so friendly and helpful.

I have never stayed in a guest house in Goa before and I was very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Klitholm
karnataka
Reviewed 16 December 2011

The map provided by the guest house website doesn't have the North sign, so we oriented the map wrongly and gone to the other side and couldn't find the guest house and they didn't provide information on google maps which make it difficult to locate.
After we got lost, we call up the guest house and ask them to pick us up but after waiting for 15 mins, no one is coming and we decided to find our ways to the guest house.
Overall the guest house is clean, the owner is nice and helpful.
It is having free wifi connection but we couldn't receive the signal even staying in the first room which is nearest to the reception area. We have to come out near the reception area to get wifi.
The guest house is situated near the beach, so we can easily walked to calagute beach.
It is also having a restaurant which provide basic food, but the taste is just ok.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bgsay
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Its a no frills kind of guest house which gives you room to offload all your stuff when you enjoy Goa. Its not a hotel or resort where you expect room service, pool or any other facility. Its a guest house and all you'll get here is a room. Drop your bags here and go out. Whole sea is waiting for you. (And the market of course for ladies)

Biggest plus: its really close to the beach, though the place is a bit before the main calangute beach (15 mins walk after you enter the beach). So you enter at Tivai Vadoo, take right and reach Calangute.

Rooms: They are clean, I got one with TV/Balcony/AC for just 800 Rs/(They have renovated and hence hiked the rate this year 1200 INR). They were definitely good for 800 Rs though the bathroom tap was leaking a bit(Its fixed NOW as confirmed by Joseph). (No extra tax and no charge for kid below 12). So if you are on budget it will be a perfect choice.

No one came to clean our room for 3 nights; when I asked the owner he told me that they send someone if you ask as they do not allow the boys to enter room otherwise. Quite nice I must say as no once can enter without permission; but as I never stayed in a guest house before; it was new for me. No complaints though.

Owner: This is where Veronica shines; it is managed by Joseph; he is a young guy; was very polite and helpful on all the aspects. Be it getting a Activa or arranging a site tour or agreeing that outer rates for cabs will be cheaper as his car is a SUV and we should get the better deal outside.

Food: There are many option around veronica as it is near to the market as well. Though the restaurant in veronica itself is not good. Its managed by some other guy who was also nice in communication and behavior but the boys who worked there were not good . They actually took more money than the billed from us; which their owner adjusted against the bill once I told him same. You can try here for normal Indian food; though do not expect high.(taken one start for that)

Few more positives are, power backup in case of regular power loss, you can pay by credit card (not sure if they expect international), They have internet cafe as well.

If you are expecting good room service and things; please stay @ some hotel. This is not the place. Else go ahead; stay here; its near the beach, very economic and owned by good people.

Room Tip: Just call on the number listed on website, their rates are pretty much fixed as per the dates. I do...