As we were scouting the main street of Anjuna for a cozy restaurant, we stumbled upon Burcu. It features a quaint garden and tables are displayed tastefully with the right amount of light.Having spent much time in Istanbul and Ankara over the last 30 years, I figured let's have a Turkish dinner in an effort to take a break from Indian food...
Nothing prepared us for the most disastrous restaurant experience of our trip....
Firstly, we ordered the meze platter which consisted of supermarket
low-quality hummus and overcooked beans.... the type of appetizer which promises a bad meal.... but I was not prepared for raw chicken! In fact, I had ordered the chicken kebab which consisted of chicken cubes flavored with herbs grilled on a skewer... as it was having my first bite, I felt grossed out by the texture and the unfamiliar taste which right away overwhelmed my senses! I somehow swallowed the first cube of meat but felt compelled to examine the rest of my dish with the help of the light from my telephone (once again there is a romantic deemed light ambiance in the garden where they serve). The meat was plainly RAW! Just lightly grilled on the outside and raw on the inside!
I showed it to my wife (who was so shocked ) and to the waiter and sent back the dish to the kitchen. I started to freak out thinking of potentially catching salmolina or other likely bacterial diseases! After all, I had just swallowed raw chicken in India!
The owner who is a beautiful elegant woman, came to us and in an effort to calm me down. She basically addressed the situation very professionally (although she told me not to worry because the chicken was fresh! How ludicrous!).
I went next door to an empty field and forced myself to throw up. As I came back 10 minutes later to the restaurant to wash my hands, the owner was now 'dissecting' my meal showing her friends that it was perfectly cooked and that I overreacted for nothing. It is obvious that during that 10 minutes time frame the kitchen cooked the meat not to take the blame.... I felt not only violated by having eaten raw chicken but totally insulted by seeing the owner treating me like an imposter trying to get a free meal! I have never left a negative comment on any social media before for any restaurant. This is truly my first time reporting such situation. These people should really not be in the restaurant business... what a disgraceful experience!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.