“Raw chicken for dinner!”

Burcu Turkish Delights
Ranked #81 of 193 Restaurants in Anjuna
Cuisines: Turkish
Reviewed 11 February 2018

As we were scouting the main street of Anjuna for a cozy restaurant, we stumbled upon Burcu. It features a quaint garden and tables are displayed tastefully with the right amount of light.Having spent much time in Istanbul and Ankara over the last 30 years, I figured let's have a Turkish dinner in an effort to take a break from Indian food...

Nothing prepared us for the most disastrous restaurant experience of our trip....

Firstly, we ordered the meze platter which consisted of supermarket
low-quality hummus and overcooked beans.... the type of appetizer which promises a bad meal.... but I was not prepared for raw chicken! In fact, I had ordered the chicken kebab which consisted of chicken cubes flavored with herbs grilled on a skewer... as it was having my first bite, I felt grossed out by the texture and the unfamiliar taste which right away overwhelmed my senses! I somehow swallowed the first cube of meat but felt compelled to examine the rest of my dish with the help of the light from my telephone (once again there is a romantic deemed light ambiance in the garden where they serve). The meat was plainly RAW! Just lightly grilled on the outside and raw on the inside!

I showed it to my wife (who was so shocked ) and to the waiter and sent back the dish to the kitchen. I started to freak out thinking of potentially catching salmolina or other likely bacterial diseases! After all, I had just swallowed raw chicken in India!

The owner who is a beautiful elegant woman, came to us and in an effort to calm me down. She basically addressed the situation very professionally (although she told me not to worry because the chicken was fresh! How ludicrous!).

I went next door to an empty field and forced myself to throw up. As I came back 10 minutes later to the restaurant to wash my hands, the owner was now 'dissecting' my meal showing her friends that it was perfectly cooked and that I overreacted for nothing. It is obvious that during that 10 minutes time frame the kitchen cooked the meat not to take the blame.... I felt not only violated by having eaten raw chicken but totally insulted by seeing the owner treating me like an imposter trying to get a free meal! I have never left a negative comment on any social media before for any restaurant. This is truly my first time reporting such situation. These people should really not be in the restaurant business... what a disgraceful experience!

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 4 May 2017

A simple and unassuming restaurant bang on the road heading to the main Anjuna junction.
The owner Burcu is Turkish and doesn't disappoint when it comes to giving a taste of her native cuisine.

We started with a Lentil soup. (Highlight was the freshly baked bread which went well with the soup)
The Mains we ordered Lamb Chops, Musaka and Chicken skewers. The Portions were quite large and were accompanied with potato salad and a green salad. the Lamb chops and musaka was the best we have ever tasted.

To Finish the meal we had Banana Nutella Waffles and Crepe with Nutella and nuts. Both of the desserts were simply wow.

The food is priced right and wont hurt your pocket.

A definite must visit!!!!!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Walked in through the round mirror doorway and got sucked into an elegant comfy garden. We ordered all kind of dishes and all of them were special and tasty, salad kebab paste musaka even the cocktails were great. Relax vibe and very friendly, great find.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 3 May 2016

The venue stands out a mile when you pass it on Anjuna road... it is so beautifully crafted with love and thought and detail! the food was good and it felt like such a treat to sit there in the creative vibe and relax... very other worldly and inspiring. The music playing was traditional roots which was natural and added to the whole scene .

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 14 February 2016

Such a bubble of magical energy run by a Turkish beauty named Burcu who will simply adore you with her divine charm and creativity. Highly recommend all the salads, dips and the pomegranate vodka cocktail served by mysterious young foreign girls dressed in black.

Date of visit: February 2016