“Decent hotel in a pinch, in a perfect location.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baymont Inn & Suites Huntsville Airport/Madison

Baymont Inn & Suites Huntsville Airport/Madison
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Madison
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Decent hotel in a pinch, in a perfect location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I hate not giving a hotel the highest rating and I really have to have a good, valid reason to do so. Not something like "there wasn't an elevator" or "they didn't take pets", all things that a person should know by reading the information about the hotel. This was a good hotel, in need of some simple, inexpensive, things that would really make it much, much better. I had assignments in Tanner and Huntsville, AL and Madison was right in-between those two cities. It was the perfect location for me, I just wish I would have had a better experience for the four nights that I spent at this hotel.

The general condition of the room was good and it was clean and bed was excellent and it had one of the most comfortable pillows that I've ever had in a hotel. But, the bathroom wasn't as clean as I've come to expect in modern hotels. There were several hairs all over the floor like whomever was cleaning the floor wasn't really paying attention to, and turning, the rag that they were wiping the floor with. There was also a greasy film on the flat surfaces like they were "cleaned" but not wiped dry to polish the surface. Also, the bathtub was thee most slippery surface that I've ever experienced. I would highly recommend asking for a bath mat if you can, it's seriously a harrowing experience taking a shower in the tub in the room that I had. Maybe other rooms don't have this trouble, but it was over-the-top slippery with no rough surface or anti-slip tape or anything on the bottom of the tub. The greasy film on the surface added to the shower fright. The shower faucet handle was on the verge of falling off and all it needed was to be tightened with a screwdriver, another thing that really should be checked, and fixed. There were a few little things like that, that added up to a disappointing stay for me.

The public stairs weren't vacuumed or even swept in the four days that I was there. I was on the verge of doing it myself and probably should have, just because sometimes a person has to do the right thing themself if they want to get the job done. The same dirt and leaves and cigarrette butt and dried, coiled worms were on the floor every time I went in there. I'm a stair person so I always take the stairs. Sometimes they're as clean as the rest of the hotel, in this case, not so much.

The workout room was excellent with a reclined exercise bike, an eliptical machine, and a treadmill, all in front of a nice flat-screen tv. They also had a rack of dumbells which was a very nice touch. The outdoor pool, unfortunately was closed. I never did find out why but I would have used it if there wasn't a sign on the door saying that it was closed. The temperature was in the 60's and 70's so I was hoping it would have been open.

The TV worked great, but there were limited channels like the very basic cable service was chosen. I always work for hours at a time in my hotel rooms and have the TV on in the background and it was disappointing for one of the most high tech areas in the world (the Huntsville area) to have a hotel with such basic cable in the rooms. And, speaking of disappointing technology, my wireless was one of the slowest that I've experienced, and, in fact, quit working the entire last day that I was there. As I mentioned, I work from my room for hours at a time and after trying and trying to get it to connect; re-boot after re-boot, I finally had to go down to the front desk and get a cable to connect to the wall outlet. That worked great and helped me finish my project. It was touch and go there for a while. I admit that I should have had a backup cord with me but I've never needed one before.

The breakfast was good with some "folded egg" patties and sausage patties, packets of oatmeal, cereals, excellent green tea, which was appreciated. I prefer hard-boiled eggs to these "egg products" because I know hard-boiled eggs are real and don't have any added ingredients or trans-fat or sodium, etc, in them.

Unfortunately, unless I was in a pinch, I probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again, mainly because of the horrendous door-slamming noise. The front desk woman was super nice as was the gentleman there when I left. There is a Ruby Tuesday's and a Cracker Barrel right there if a person is interested in such restaurants, otherwise there is a wealth of restaurants and fast food places and grocery stores and shopping right across the freeway a two-minute drive away. It's a really great area with lots to see and do.

Room Tip: Be prepared for some of the LOUDEST door-slamming that you've ever heard. I simply can't be...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Carson City, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

This hotel was perfect for our stay! It's located right off the highway and super close to the airport, hotel was beautifully decorated and clean..smelled great also! Hotel staff was very helpful on giving us recommendations to the local restaurants and directions to where we had to go everyday. I will definitely be staying here when I visit Huntsville again. Room was comfy, shower was great..we had hot water. Breakfast was wonderful, it was nice to have sausage and eggs at a free continental breakfast. Mostly impressed by the staff, went out of their way to make sure everything was satisfactory!

Room Tip: Noticed this hotel constantly has great deals on suite rooms if you book them online through their w...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Columbus, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

My family stayed at the Baymont in Madison,Al May 13-15. This is the second weekend we have spent at the hotel. Saturday morning I took a shower and the water was cold. I called the front desk and reported it.

Sunday morning I experienced the same cold shower. I spoke to the clerk and he said he had told management multiple times and explained any time they book more than 30 rooms there was no hot water for showers in the morning. He insinuated this was a ongoing issue and the management was not acting.

We asked to speak to the manager and were told the manager would be there in 15 minutes. Over two hours later we explained the situation to what we were told was the manager and after explaining it she told us she was the assistant manager. Interestingly we had asked for the name of the owners and this assistant manager was one of the two owners.

We were told the manager would be calling our hotel room in 30 minutes. No one ever called and we spoke to the "assistant manager" 3 more times. I was finally able to talk to the manager that afternoon about 2:30 via phone after we had already checked out. He discounted our rooms but insisted he had no problem and that no other customers had complained. I know that to be false as my mother was speaking with the clerk when another guest explained he had no water at all and we spoke to other guests about the cold showers at breakfast.

In addition the side door 20 feet from our room was unlocked. The door had one of those bars you push in to open the door and they had placed packing tape over it so it wouldn't lock. Anyone could walk into the hotel bypassing the front desk and the camera. I've stayed in many hotels and that would be acceptable at none of them. I took video of this and will be sending it to the corporate office.

The hotel is poorly run. My mother woke up early and finding the cream curdled had attempted to find a employee just after 7:00. She rang the bell and knocked on the door and was not able to find anyone. The breakfast ran out of milk before the 9:00 (early) cut off and we were told they were out of milk. There is a gas station with milk within 70 yards of the hotel entrance but no attempts were made to resupply the hotel. There were several beer cans and other trash in the parking and some just outside the side door mentioned above. They were not picked up during the 48 hour period we were there.

The explained I would be reviewing this hotel and calling the corporate office and the manager told me I could call "Washington D.C." The manager spoke poor English and was rude to me and my mother. According to him he does not have a problem and no other guests complained about the hot water. However a quick glance at the reviews on hotel.com show at least two people going back to November 2010 have complained about the same issue.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank chamac45

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels

Friendswood, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed here mainly because after several tornadoes went through the area, the hotel brought in a generator so there was power (most hotels in the immediate area did not). The room seemed recently refreshed; the carpeting was nice and things felt new. My room was a suite so there was a little kitchen with a stove and real refrigerator, but no dishes or cooking utensils or even soap so it was kind of worthless. The matress and pillows were rock hard. The floors were thin, so I heard every footstep of the people in the room above me. Despite the new feel of the place, the towels were dingy and threadbare. Free wi-fi worked very well. No convenient outlet by the bedstand to plug in a cell phone overnight (pet peeve of mine).

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank EEpotter
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

We headed down to Huntsville, AL for a family wedding. We had booked 2 king bed suites from the Baymont Website. It looked like a great deal! When we arrived at the hotel for check in, we asked for adjoining rooms. They advised that they only had queen bedding in the adjoining rooms, so we took them instead. Once we got to the rooms, they were NOT suites and when we questioned it they said that they didn't have adjoining suites of any kind. After consultation with the rest of our family, we decided to swtich to the suite rooms. At that time, there was a different employee at the front desk and she advised that they did not have King bed suites at all at the hotel and that there weren't enough suites to satisfy our booking. We asked to see a suite, in order to decide if we wanted to switch one of the rooms and that's when we found out that the suite she let us see what adjoining to the one beside it! Perhaps the people working at this hotel should be a little more educated with their product! The kicker was that the people who checked into the adjoining suite checked in AFTER us and we could have had what we had asked for, however the customer service was awful so that didn't happen. We were also not impressed with breakfast... it was very random and as the week went on the options went from bacon and eggs and fruit and a variety of yogurt to simply plain yogurt, toast, and coffee. I would NOT stay at this hotel in future and NOT recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank JCat80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
0.4 km away
11.7 km away
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#5 of 53 in Huntsville

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Huntsville Airport/Madison? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK