“Not Consistent at all”

Add it.
Hook's BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 24 January 2015 via mobile

This place is good for a small town but it is very inconsistent. Some days are better than others. The phone rarely works and now it's cash only so it's a bit inconvenient. They don't have the full menu of other Hook's Restaurants.

1  Thank FoodBucketList

Reviewed 10 January 2015

While trying to place our order at the counter we told the girl a 'dine in' for a sweet tea and camp stew. The girl kept turning her back to us and conversing with the other girls in the back/kitchen. She did it three times in the brief time we placed our small order. The camp stew was disappointing, tasteless, as mentioned before by previous reviewer. We decided to get a half of pound of chopped pork to try (we were going to take home). When my husband went back up to counter a different girl was taking order this time. She was just as "tasteless". She asked "you want something?". In a very sharp, irritated tone. We shouldnt have given them anymore business but we were on the road, nearing the end of a six hour drive home..and didnt want to cook when we got home!! The whole time we were in there-20 minutes or so, there was constant conversation and 'back and forth' between the 3 or 4 females behind the counter and kitchen. Nothing vulgar or improper just unnecessary noise.I felt like I had a front row seat in HONEY BOOs kitchen. The pork was decent, not great, decent. The mild sauce was not good. We used our own from our kitchen!!

I will not stop there again. I am not looking for friends but the staff working there are not friendly and should tone their conversation down. Most people arent looking to be entertained by the staff.

Reviewed 16 October 2014

This was pretty decent BBQ especially for the price. Our bill was $21 for three people. Cheapest meal of our trip to Destin.

The BBQ was good and there was smoke- Oh Baby, was there smoke. My hair smelled like smoke all day. If you have any kind of breathing problem do not go in this restaurant. Drive through instead.

I did overhear one family with toddler aged boys talk about the food. They were shocked their boys ate every bite. She said they were so picky she didn't expect them to eat anything but they ate every bit of their food. My 11 yr old did too for that matter.

Had I known they were putting sauce directly on my sandwich I would have stopped them as I don't generally do bbq sauce. And this didn't really need it. I have had better BBQ, sure. But I have had way way way worse BBQ. And this was good especially for the money. Would I go there again? Heck yeah- it was a cool little joint.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My family is currently staying at the hotel located behind this restaurant. I read the reviews (which were all positive) and was eager to give it a try. My husband loves barbecue and I was excited about having camp stew. He and I both were in for a huge disappointment. His sandwich was soggy from the sauce (which tasted like it came from a bottle) and the meat was not bad but nothing special. I had yet to try my camp stew and was going to pass my husband's food off as a one time fluke. When I got around to trying my stew, it was horrible. It had no distinct taste. All I could really make out was an overwhelming taste of tomatoes. I paid over $8 for a quart of this stew so you can imagine how disappointing it was to find it tasteless. I called the restaurant back and asked if I could bring it back and get something else. I was told by the person that answered the phone that she didn't think they did that but she would let me speak to the person in charge. A woman identified herself as Tiffany and told me that Hook's did not take back food just because a customer didn't like it. She said I had to have a real reason for them to accept it back for a refund and/or replace it. I remember thinking, "Wow, she really said that." I told her I did have a real problem. My food is nasty. She told me that was not an excuse. What ever happened to customer service standards? I'm not saying the customer should always be right. But, when you are told that your food is substandard, you response is, "that's not a good excuse?" I will never go back there for anything and I will tell everyone I know that if they go to Hook's and find the food not to their liking....DON'T ask for your money back or a replacement item because Hook's doesn't do that. Tasteless food is not a good reason in their book. I thought the south was known for southern hospitality. Someone needs to remind this place of that. Don't waste your time.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Bbq pork is great. Ribs fall off the bone tender.reminds me alot of the original one in opp.sauce is warm if u get the hot one but it tastes great