“Be sure you get what you pay for”

Gulf Shores Plantation
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed in Unit 1302 of the Plantation and found it very poorly equipped. I had rented from the owner on VRBO and went by the photos on that website. A couple of pieces of furniture shown in the photos were not present when I checked in. Also, the kitchen was poorly equipped for anything more than a weekend stay and the oven badly needed cleaning. I had to move a shelf unit in order to operate the thermostat. The screen door to the porch was constantly coming off the track. The bedroom, which is small to begin with, was too crowded with a large wooden bed that had a footboard I kept bumping into. The TV was old with poor sound quality.
Also, the elevator to this 3rd floor unit was scheduled to be replaced during my stay, which the owners knew of in advance, yet that was not communicated to me before I arrived. I would have liked to know about the elevator as I have health problems that make it hard for me to climb stairs. The phone was totally non-operational for more than 2 weeks and the wi-fi internet is spotty.

Because of the above-mentioned problems, I don’t feel I got what I paid for . On the plus side, it does have a wonderful view of the Gulf.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annajonson
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great location off the main highway. Close enough to get to great restaurants. Great beach area. We stayed in cottage 13B which is a Gulf front house with balconies in all of the bedrooms and one off the den. Our whole extended family of 12 stayed together. Mattresses do need updating.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MobileALFamily
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Rented a room for 4 nights at the dunes at gulf shores plantation. Room was poorly furnished and outdated. The jacuzzis on the ground floor were the nastiest things I have ever seen. I could understand one day being bad but every day of our families stay they were in horrible shape. The only thing positive to say is the nice beach other than that the grounds were filthy trash overflowing in containers outside just. A filthy establishment that has a lot of potential. I sincerly do not recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012
8  Thank skeeter21
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I should have written this review sooner, we stayed here in September 2011 and I forgot all about reviewing until today! Well, there is good and bad when you stay at the Plantation. I think a LOT depends on what unit you get. We used a rental website where owners list their condos for rent (don't know if I am allowed to say the website in a review?) and were very careful to choose a rental that had lots of good reviews. Our unit was clean, updated and reasonable. The owner was very easy to work with. We were in the first Plantation East building. There are pretty good kind of side views of the gulf from balconies in this building. There is also a pretty good walk down to the beach. Not really very far, just a few minutes, but we were midway in the building and had to cross part of parking lot, then pass by outdoor pool, get onto the boardwalk and trek on down. This felt like forever when we were toting beach chairs and such. The beach was very uncrowded and we enjoyed that. We did not use the outdoor pools of this resort. The indoor pool complex could use some cleaning and updating. A small arcade within the indoor pool unit sucked down my son's money without letting him play games. Nobody around to complain to or get a refund. The hot tub was good sized, but had some big nasty dirty spots hovering in the water for several days until we scooped them out. We used the indoor pool four nights and the whole time we were there, there was a dirty red solo cup sitting near the hot tub. This was never moved. We stayed six nights and for the first three, the washer and dryer on our floor were out of order. This was fixed before we left. The elevator seemed really kind of old, groaning and scary, but it got us to the third floor every time! LOL. You have to pass thru a small security gate to get onto the Plantation and the security guys were always friendly and helpful. There is supposedly a small coffee shop on site, but this was closed for the winter, I guess, and we did not have that info until we walked over only to find a sign on the door. We did enjoy the solitude of staying out on Fort Morgan, but it is quite a ways out from Gulf Shores. I would recommend going to WalMart in Gulf Shores for groceries and stocking up. There is a newer looking Dollar General about half way down Fort Morgan Road toward the Plantation that is very well stocked as well. If you have people in your group who want to be close to all the action, this resort may not be for you because the drive into town and back can be very time consuming. The part we stayed in, Plantation East, is definitely not a high falutin' place, so if you are looking for luxury, this end of the Plantation might not be for you, and as I said, so much depends on the unit you rent, I think, which can make the difference between a good and a not so good stay. We did enjoy our stay here, overall -- we were on the beach! :)

Room Tip: If you use a website with owner listing their units, look around carefully and choose rental that ha...
Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank pixiekansas
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We had a nice stay in unit 5004 in Sept. 5 adults 2 small kids and had plenty of room for about 5 days. Not a brand new unit but nice. Close to the terrific pools and on the ground floor. Nice kitchen with newer appliances made dinner easy. Short walk to a really nice beach. Price made me feel like I got a lot for the money. Tvs in every room. The weather was perfect.

Room Tip: Cafe located at the end of the building you may not want a room right next to it. I used Island Drea...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family