“Look elsewhere if you value cleanliness and basic service”

Howard Johnson Inn Dothan
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Dothan
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I ended up using Dothan as a crash point for my road trip (place to sleep). Based on price and amenities offered, I thought that I was getting the best bang for the buck (it wasn't the cheapest but it had the continental breakfast and other comforts).

Well, Let me start with check-in. I could barely hear the person on the other side (since it was after 9pm, they closed the lobby so they did all business through their window, which muffled everything). Got to my room, while the main sleeping area was clean, the bathtub was where I found a roach and spider (as well as other filth likely associated with the roach). I ended up doing the cleanup (since it was only one roach and one spider... I'm a guy I can take care of stuff like that). Even then, I couldn't help but think about what else might be lurking so it did affect my ability to sleep. The next morning, I go and check out, and I waited over 30 mins for someone to come out to check me out. After that time, the manager (who was holed up in his office, in plain view of the front desk, door closed with one of those one-way mirrors for a window). During that time, I was able to write a full complaint to Wyndham regarding the property on my smartphone. When he did come out, and I noted how unhappy I was, he seemed rather unapologetic.

I got a reply from Wyndham, and later the property manager, who offered me a 25% discount on a future stay there (from one of those "free" Yahoo/Gmail accounts). Since I have major doubts that I will be in Dothan anytime soon to take advantage of that, I don't think I will be returning to that property if I do, since it could be years down the road, and I have sincere doubts that they'll honor it should I decide to return.

Since this was just the first night of my vacation, where I'd be staying at 4 different properties over 6 nights, it eliminated Howard Johnson from consideration.

Room Tip: Find a different property in Dothan
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ElDestripador
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

While walking in cities across the US wih 2 brain tumors and a walker, my co-walker and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Dothan AL. We loved it. It had a guest laundry. The service from the GM was superb and the room was perfect. We enjoyed a very comfortable and good nights sleep at this hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling through Dothan on business or for pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I reserved a room for 2 nights. Front desk clerk was nice at check in, but when I opened the door to the room, it looked like a 70's project house. It had a cable box on top of the tv, the bed was so old and worn it was bowed in the center, the a/c had a foul smell coming from it. Needless to say I did not stay here. Had a hard time getting a refund since I booked the room online. Sunny Patel offered to let me see a different room (supposedly a suite) but I had already booked another hotel by phone. For the quality these rooms should only be around $30 a night.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ms_C1984
Reviewed 20 December 2008

I reserved the room on the HOJO website for 2 nights during Thanksgiving weekend. Got a great rate under 45.00 per night.
Wasn't sure what to expect, due to some of the negative reviews online from awhile back, but was I pleasantly surprised.
The Lobby was clean and beautifully decorated for the holidays, Tara, the front desk mgr was friendly, and answered all my questions about the area. I got checked in quickly.
My room was very Clean, spacious, tastefully designed after a recent renovation, (I was told by Tara) Microwave and Fridge were clean and worked well. The desk was large and very useful for me, as I had some writing to do. In between my visits with family, the housekeeping staff were very efficient.
My overall experience was positive and I'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We actually didn't stay there due to what we saw when we arrived. We checked in and the staff was very nice. We got to our non-smoking, must cancel by 5 (we got there at 5:30) room and opened the door and we were hit by the smell of smoke. The room was not ready at all for us. The still full garbage was full of cigarettes, hence the smell, the beds were unmade, it was just a mess. We went back to the office and they said that the smell would be gone by the time they were able to clean it. They had no other rooms that would fit us. We got our refund with no problems and left.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple