“Love their lasagna, can't figure out what that certain spice is that makes it just a little better than all the rest.”
Review of Papa's Place

Papa's Place
Ranked #27 of 111 Restaurants in Daphne
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 December 2015

If you can figure out what spice that is in the lasagna that makes this the best I've ever eaten, please let me know! I asked the owner but he just made me guess and I was wrong about half a dozen times before I gave up. I still don't know what it is but I will be back for more. Their Alfredo side dish is really good, try it with the grilled vegies, ymmmmm. Or, try the shrimp, cooked several ways its always a hit with my out of town friends.

1  Thank gumbotales

Reviewed 27 November 2015

We do not normally eat out on weekends as most places are busy and we prefer quiet weeknights. However after a Saturday of football watching we decided to forgo our usual pizza ordering and checkout Papa's Place. We had not eaten there is sometime and remember the food and service being very good.

We first called to see if we needed reservations and told none were needed. Knowing Papa;is BOYB we picked up a bottle of wine and arrived about 7:30. Sure enough no reservations were needed. Only a few tables we taken which we found surprising for a Saturday night.

We were promptly shown to our table by the hostess.

When our server arrived at our table his first words were "how many wine glasses" No "Welcome to Papa's Place my name is ??? and I will be serving you tonight" No "How are you this evening" Not even a smile

He returned promptly with the wine glasses, cork screw and water. Other BOYB places where I have eaten all uncorked the wine for you. He then returned with a basket of bread. There were no bread plates provided which leaves the question of what do you do with your bread between bites. Do you put it back in the basket, lay it on your napkin or just hold it. Things are not looking great at this point.

To his credit our server was knowledgeable of the menu and was able to answer all of our questions.

Companion one ordered the Red fish, companion two the Filet with Stuffed Shrimp and I chose the Back & Blue Filet. Each were served with pasta, squash, carrots and spinach. We all gave the food a big "A"

The filets were ordered medium rare and we cooked perfectly and had a great flavor. Companion one questioned if the fish was actually Red fish but it could well have been. In either case he was well pleased. The vegetables were also cooked perfectly and very good.

Near the end of our meal our server passes our table and reaches out and grabs the cork screw I assume to take to another table. There was no " Excuse me" or "May I take this" only a grab and run. Seemed a bit rude to us.

The server returned to see if we wanted dessert. We all declined and he returned with our check. We paid our check and left. Never did we hear a thank you for coming or anything of the sort. We did leave a mediocre tip for mediocre service.

Where is simple southern hospitality? It was sure not at Papa's Place that night.

Again the food was excellent but service leaves much to be desired. My personal opinion is this is a training issue I think our server could be a great server with the proper training and guidance.

I know everyone has to watch expenses and Papa's is casual dining but a restaurant such as Papa's cries for top notch service as well as table cloths and cloth napkins. At the very least cloth napkins, paper napkins just don't fit.

If business is down at Papa's Place I strongly suggest the owners take a hard look at the front of the house. There are no problems in the kitchen. They should well know there are many places on the Eastern shore with great food and great service.

Because of the food alone we will give Papa's Place a second shot in the future in hopes this was just an off night for our server.

1  Thank Elvin N
Reviewed 19 August 2015

My husband and I stopped in for a meal and we are so glad we did! I had the chicken parm. Which was so tender I didn't have to use my knife! Very tasty and the sauce was delicious. I was thinking about what I would try next time we came in!
My husband had shrimp over pasta in an Alfredo sauce he said it was delicious.
Do yourself a big FLAVOR.... And come down to Papas Place... You will be glad you did.
Oh, I almost forgot, Chelsea was a great waitress!

Reviewed 11 July 2015

The restaurant itself is nothing to speak of but the food is fabulous. You can bring your own bottle of wine and use their glasses to drink your wine.

1  Thank 967eileent
Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

So I just really can't say enough wonderful things about this place. The location was a little underwhelming from the outside so I didn't expect much. But once you're inside be prepared to be blown away! My hubby and I ordered the Big Papa Combo and the Black and Bleu Petite Filet. The most unbelievable things about our experience were the steak, because it could be cut with a fork! And I am not a fan of steak but this one is beyond compare. Drizzled with Alfredo sauce and cooked to perfection, you could not ask for more! As for the Big Papa Combo, we especially enjoyed the eggplant parmigiana (first time trying it EVER and I could have ordered it as a main course!), and the lasagna, which was exceptional! Just as a side note, it's a BYOB affair so bring whatever you want. People were bringing in bottles of Crown Royal and any other hard liquor along with simple bottles of wine. Definitely give it a try! It's right off of the interstate. They did not disappoint!

2  Thank Djcynt

Been to Papa's Place? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK